Doug Murphy
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey small-time publishers (like me),

Has anyone joined the HMA? It's not that expensive at $230/year, but I'm not sure the benefits are worth it. The industry research data would be nice, but the discounts at Motel 6 and Office Depot seem to be pretty minor, and I'm not that worried about lobbying congress.

The big one could be the health insurance consortium, but it's really not clear to me whether it's a real consortium (ie, reasonable rates and no health questionnaire) or if it's just a connection to regular private health insurance at a minor discount.

It also seems to be required for getting listed in GGI, but their web presence is so low-rent I can't tell if there's actual value in the organization.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This thing all but bleeds scam all over. 230/year? Is this even real?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Murphy
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the link, have a look and see what you think:

http://www.hmahobby.org/index.html

I guess while I'm at it, might as well play it safe: has anyone ever seen, or been in, the Greater Games Industry catalog? Here's their web address:

http://www.greatergamesindustry.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregorio Morales
Spain
Alicante
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It says it's the unification of International Model Hobby Manufacturers Association, Model Railroad Industry Association, and Radio Control Hobby Trade Association.

It seems they are not the droids you are looking for whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Iachini
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was planning of doing a full print run of Chaos & Alchemy myself (before Game Salute stepped in as publisher), I had gotten myself set up with the major distributors. One of them required that I be listed in the GGI catalog, so I reached out to GGI directly. Getting set up with an ID with them was free and easy.

So don't join some organization just to get into GGI. It's not a requirement.

Michael Iachini
Clay Crucible Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Murphy
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tip, Michael. I'll try moving forward without the number. It was on the list of "We Need:", but maybe this is more of a "We need this number, if you have one" situation.

I'm still on the lookout for a health insurance consortium, if anyone knows of one for game industry people. COBRA is expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.