Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been asked to come up with 1-3 games that could be played sequentially by a large group 50 - 75 people in a relatively short amount of time (30-45 minutes) at a church potluck. Something social/party with easy rules and that could be enjoyed by kids and adults alike.

The ideal game(s) would have a heavy dose of player interaction and promote a "get to know your neighbor" atmosphere.

I had considered a video scavenger hunt but need to keep all the players in one giant room and the logistics of the camcorders eliminates this as an option. I also considered a regular scavenger hunt but am not sure there are enough things to find in the giant room and there probably would not be much interaction.

I had also considered Werewolf, but I never really liked this game and while I am told that it works well with 15-20, I am not sure it would work with a group this large. (and am not sure that this group would enjoy it although I suppose if I kept the mechanics and changed the theme, my group may be receptive).

Looking for other ideas. What have you played with a group this large. We would have access to pen and paper if that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Moulton Jr.
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Werewolf would take to long with this size group methinks. People would get bored FAST. Although with a group of 15-20 its fine.

I will check my arsenal and let you know if I come up with anything.

If you have acess to a copy or to of "Say What!?!" That could be interesting. I have played it with a large group Say 50 before and everyone seemed to enjoy it. Its a game that you can play while doing somthign else (ie during the potluck dinner portion of the night) You can grab copies for like $6.00 I belive.

Wayne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Werewolf wouldn't work. Unless you split the group up, but I'm guessing that isn't the idea. I think it has to be a pretty simple party game, but I am not feeling inspired right now. (Also, my knowledge of party games pretty much stops at Musical Chairs).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
My church's favorite games of this sort (large group "get to know each other" games) are "I've never..." and "Two truths and a lie." They work well for 20-30, but 50-75 might be a bit much (break up the group?). Anyway, here they are:

I've never...

Everyone sits in a giant circle (facing inwards) with one person standing in the middle of the circle (so there will be one less chair than people, basically, like musical chairs). The person in the center makes a true statement regarding something they have never done ("I've never been to another country!" / "I've never eaten broccoli!" / etc). Everyone sitting down who has done that thing (that the person in the middle said they had never done) must immediately stand up and run to a different seat. The person in the middle also attempts to find a seat. After the dust has cleared, there will be one person left without a seat (hopefully a different person!) and they will repeat the process, making a statement of their own concerning something they have never done.

Be judicious with your group in regards to what type of statements are allowed, especially as it's a church group. You can get some pretty odd results given the right statements ("You've worn pantyhose, Jim! Please explain!"). Just know your own group and what they'd be alright with (personally, we allow pretty much anything).

Two truths and a lie

Give everybody a small piece of paper and a writing implement. On the paper, each person will write their name and three statements about themself. Two of the statements must be true, but one of them (it can be any one of them, speaking of the order in which they are written on the paper) must be a lie. There is no need to mark which one is a lie, so long as your name is on the paper. Everyone folds up their papers and turns them in to an MC. The MC reads each paper in turn, announcing first who the statements are about (read the name on the paper) and then reading the three statements. The group then attempts to figure out which one of the three statements was the lie. After a reasonable amount of time (don't wait too long), the MC asks the person in question to reveal which one of the statements was the lie. The MC then reads the next paper in the stack, and so on.

A possible variant (which would work better with a smaller group) is that the MC does not reveal the identity of the person described by the three statements. The group must first guess the identity of the person before attempting to guess which statement is the lie.

There you have it. Enjoy.

-Nate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Harmer-Barnes
United Kingdom
Rainham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Frag LARP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it have to be all people playing at once or can you divide into smaller groups? At any rate, it sounds like old-fashioned parlor games might be be best. I set up games for a scouting camp every year and here are a few we use that might work, also do a google search on 'parlor games' and see what you come up with. Good luck and let us know what you decide and what worked best!!

- Charades - everyone knows how to play, and you can do all kinds of variants like dividing into teams and having each team pick one person to do the acting out.

- 20 Questions

- The Smile Game (dunno what this is really called). One person or one team tries to makes everyone else smile or laugh, everyone else tries NOT to laugh, the last person to still be stone faced is the winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Haggle.

http://boardgamegeek.com/game/17529

As described in Sid Sackson's "A Gamut of Games".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you could give everybody goals that require them to ask questions of one another. for example, everyone gets a checklist with items such as, "find someone who is an aries", "who once worked at a fast food franchise", "who is exactly your same hieght", etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the names of the fifty states are written on sheets of paper. one is sealed in an envelope, the others are distributed. people confer with eachother in order to deduce the mystery state.

rather than states, they could be presidents, elements, or anything of a limited and known set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gravitt
United States
Northglenn
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Chris beat me to my suggestion. They call this Bingo and you print out a card for each person. http://tinyurl.com/ceqbc Find someone who has more than two pets, who has a classic car, who has more than two kids in college, etc. Tailor the bingo to meet their interests.

Also, do a google search on Icebreakers or Games Trainers Play and you'll find a ton of these.

Here are some more: http://tinyurl.com/5vepu along the lines of have each person complete the sentence "The worst job I ever had was...."

You can always use the much-maligned Ungame and give each person a card they have to answer to a partner or in small groups. There is a Christian version as well. I'd suggest using the easy cards instead of the deep ones for this big of a group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Donohue
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
Kneel puny Doomtrooper before the might of the Ezoghoul!
mbmbmbmbmb
Who Am I Game:

Pick a theme (cartoon characters, biblical figures, etc).

Write the names of 50 of these figures on index cards (or adhesive name badges).

Each player gets one of these stuck on his/her back (unseen) and must ask other players a "yes/no" question about who you are. One question per person (forcing you to circulate).

You can use your question at any time to make a guess as to your identity. Players keep track of how many questions it takes them to correctly guess thier identity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i like john's idea of using a bingo type chart instead of a straight checklist. this way, players have to get a certain number of answers in a row and can make some decisions regarding which questions they ask. i always thought bingo was ridiculous, but this introduces interaction and even some strategy. neat idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Hinkle
United States
Twinsburg
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CheapAss games has rules for their Puchcards for massive groups of people.

http://www.cheapass.com/punchcards/conplay.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of icebreakers that we've used:

"Give Yourself a Point"

A leader reads a list of statements like:

Give yourself one point for every mile you traveled to get here.
Take away a point if you came by yourself.
Give yourself a point for every button on your clothes.
Take away a point for every safety pin...
Etc, etc,

You could say the person with the most points is the winner or the table with the most points is the winner.

"What's in a Ladies Purse?" is an icebreaker that our church used a long time ago, but there is a version of it called Purse & Pockets Plus, here's the link:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/6600

Purse & Pockets has it as a racing game, but we played it more as a scavenger hunt.

Here's how we played it:

We either would put a list of items at each table or we would have a leader read a list of items. The table or the person with the most items is the winner.

Examples of items:
old receipt, shopping list, photos, keys, chapstick, nail file, toothpick, glasses, postage stamp, jack knife, breath mints

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I havn't read the whole thread so I may be repeating someone elses suggestion but if not...

How about people bingo. I've played this many times in large groups and it does well for the get to know your neighbor thing.

And in case you don't know what it is...

You would create a sheet with a 5x5 square. Inside each square you would put things like

"Favorite color is Blue"
"Has been to Europe"
"Can wiggle nose"
etc.

Then everybody runs around the room getting people to sign one square that they can claim as true for themselves. The first person to get BINGO lets everyone know.

And then each person that signed the BINGO squares must get up and "prove" that they fulfill that square.

---

The only bummer about that game would be that it usually doesn't take very long.

As I'm typing this I just thought of a way that could make it go longer... but it would also take more effort on your part.

You could make all the BINGO cards unique. And then draw names out of a hat. Then that person has to get up and say one thing about themselves. (That would match the list of possible bing squares). Then just like regular BINGO people would mark that square off with that persons name.

That would be less chaotic and maybe help people know eachother better, and last longer.

Or you could just use the first Idea witha a bunch of other shorter ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about short(?) trivia game? You would need questions with multiple choice answers (eg, A,B,C,D).

Here's how a Japanese game show did it that I read about in Games magazine about 10 years ago:

Specify as many large areas for people to stand as you have choices in each of the answers and mark the areas (eg, A,B,C,D).

Read a question and the answer choices. People go to stand in the area that corresponds to the answer they think is correct.

All who are incorrect are out of this game and stand aside. (The game should be fairly short so they shouldn't be standing very long.) Then questions continue to be read in this way.

Once the active players are reduced to some small number of people (8?) or less, you could ask them questions one at a time until you have a winner, or even play a different short game to find the winner. (The game show had the final players race across the globe to get to New York and climb the Statue of Liberty. You may not want to use this option. Since the Amazing Race started airing, I've always wondered if it was influenced by this Japanese show.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Haggle, but you may want to simplify it for the non-gamers. Try the following:

- Get two decks of Set and hand each player a card from the game Set. Players with Sets have to find each other. As three players come to you with a Set, hand them three new cards. Winner is player who turned in most Sets.

- Same, but use only one deck of Set. As each Set is turned in, the players get to eat. Remaining players may not have sets, of course.

- Two decks of Set, but use only the number of cards as participants, and they only have to find their matching card. With 54 people or less, you could use two decks of normal cards.

- Poker haggle. Get lots of decks of cards, enough for five cards for each player. Players trade for poker hands. Top three high hands and low hands after fifteen minutes wins.

Other ice breaking games:

- From New Rules: Each player has a ribbon, play Yes, No, Black White (players try to get the other player to say one of those words). If you succeed, you get all ribbons of the other player. Note that you can keep playing even if you have no ribbons. Winner has most ribbons after fifteen minutes.

- Each player has a colored handkerchief in back pocket. Players work in groups trying to try to steal each others handkerchiefs without getting caught. If you're caught, you lose your own and any stolen. Team with most wins.

- Pass the Slipper. Ten people are "it". Ten objects are passed secretly among the other players who may not hold it for more than a minute each. Each player tries to find one of the objects as it is being passed. The passers have to do a lot of faking, of course.

- Simon Says

- Each player is given a different list of twenty common (but not the most common) words. When somone speaks the word, they check it off with the name of the speaker. First to fill in the list wins.

Gosh, there are so many parlor games ...

Yehuda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
puffinslayer wrote:
Who Am I Game:

Write the names of 50 of these figures on index cards (or adhesive name badges).

Each player gets one of these stuck on his/her back (unseen) and must ask other players a "yes/no" question about who you are. One question per person (forcing you to circulate).

You can use your question at any time to make a guess as to your identity. Players keep track of how many questions it takes them to correctly guess thier identity.

This is a good game. The variant I played is that if you receive the answer "Yes", you may ask that same person another question. Otherwise, you can't ask that person any more questions.

It's more challenging if you just make it "famous names" rather than use a theme. You could mix real people and fictional characters, living/dead, etc. It's fun to give people "names" that are totally opposite from that player's personality. (I was Britney Spears....)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Quirk
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
puffinslayer wrote:
Who Am I Game:

Another variant on this game is to pick a bunch of themes and make 5 names for each theme. Once people figure out who they are, they need to find the other people in their theme. First team to get all their people win. For example, Fred, Wilma, Pebbles, Dino, and Great Gazoo are all the Flintstones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea. Has anybody seen an Olympics themed rule set?

thatmarkguy wrote:
Haggle.

http://boardgamegeek.com/game/17529

As described in Sid Sackson's "A Gamut of Games".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.