Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Where to find categories? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray Kri
msg tools
Hi, this may be a stupid question, but If I look at a game, the rankings often say:
Board Game Rank: 62
Thematic Rank: 11

or maybe
Board Game Rank: 6
Customizable Rank: 1
Strategy Game Rank: 6

Where can I find the different categories? Is there a list of strategy games and so on? I just can't find the different categories except looking at a game and and clicking the category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
blodskjegg wrote:
I just can't find the different categories except looking at a game and and clicking the category.

Heh, that's what I do, and I've been around here a while! I'd love to know if there is a better way, so BUMP!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Misterboy wrote:
blodskjegg wrote:
I just can't find the different categories except looking at a game and and clicking the category.

Heh, that's what I do, and I've been around here a while! I'd love to know if there is a better way, so BUMP!

Is what you are looking for at Browse --> Categories?

Else, the subdomains are shown right across the main page -- Abstract, Customizable, Children's, Family, Party, Strategy, Thematic, War. These are also listed in the user poll on each game page that is used to determine the subdomain for each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One way is to do an Advanced Search. The Advanced Search link is near the top of the page, next to the Go button. Then click the Filter on Board Game Subdomain link, near the bottom of the page. This will show you the eight subdomains. Check a plus for a subdomain if you want to include games in that subdomain in your advanced search.

For example, here are the games in the Customizable subdomain:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&ad...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott mentioned the subdomains that are on the BGG front page. Using this method of getting to them has the virtue of also showing you each game's rank, not on BGG, but as a member of its subdomain. So if you want to see what the customizable rank of a game is, start at the main page and mouse over Customizable, then click on Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like the easiest way is on the main page. Hover over one of the 9 big icons at the top of the page and select "Game" from the hover menu.

I never navigate to the mainpage of BGG which is why I've missed it.

Edit: Ninja'd by Bernard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hover over "Board Games" WAY UP on the top menu; click the type of games you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Armitstead
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
Hover over "Board Games" WAY UP on the top menu; click the type of games you want.

I had forgotten all about that. It's funny how you don't notice things after a while. Must be something to do with the brain whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.