Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I just played our first game and the Session Report will be posted soon I'm sure, but as the Naboo player I kept wondering about something as we played. In short, Maul was getting absolutely butchered by the Jedi, so it wasn't a matter of if Maul would die, but rather "when". Anakin was progressing without much difficulty through the starfighters. I had to stop and ask myself - "Why do I need to get to the third floor again?" Consider the fact that I have an easily defensible postion right at the start of the game, and if I wanted to I could even evacuate the palace completely and make the enemy come to us. Once one or both of the Jedi are free then they can come in and clear out the palace. For that matter they can just sit in the core drinking cappuchinos until Anakin destroys the droid ship. I kept getting window ledge cards but only used them once, just to see what it feels like. Once the droid ship is destroyed, and the Sith is gone, its game over anyway. I can understand the point that the throne room is even easier to defend, but it seems like a waste of time to get there when I could be playing Anakin and Jedi cards instead. I am by no means any sort of expert after 1 game, so I'd love to hear others' thoughts on this. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience is that it's easier to defend the third floor. Remember that the Droids are endless and superior to the Palace guards. When the Trade Federation sends reinforcments from the battlefield, they come right to the first floor.

Also, if you don't make an effort to whittle down the droids at first, they will just take potshots at your forces. You certainly can fall back, but you are burning activations in the palace to do that anywayy...

I see your point, though. Anakin Rush is a perfectly acceptable strategy, and it would require minimum palace activations. However, if those Anakin cards dry up as they are sometimes wont to do, you will find yourself taking some big damage from the Federation. And it's rare for Maul not to take some swings no matter what the general strategy of the Federation is, if for no other reason that to keep two fully healed Jedi from raining death and destruction on the palace.

Think of it this way--Anakin is a timer, but one that can have either bad luck or tangible obstacles placed in his way. If you guess wrong on the timer, then your forces are in a weaker position and can get mopped up before Anakin can do his thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this on Friday as the Trade Federation and basically the end of the game came down to Ani. Obi Wan and two guards made the third floor, but I had wiped out the rest and started pouring in the robots as fast as I could. If Ani doesn't get through, then I'm going to just get to pour roll after roll at Obi Wan until I can win. My opponent had waited too long to get started on Ani, and I was able to hold him off for a long time.

The Ani blitz can work, but if you get a run of bad rolls or run out of the cards, it can get pretty tough for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also pretty sure that the Palace Guards and Queens cannot enter the core, as implied in your post. Only the Jedis/Maul can leave the core, and only when the other is dead.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
Once one or both of the Jedi are free then they can come in and clear out the palace. For that matter they can just sit in the core drinking cappuchinos until Anakin destroys the droid ship. I kept getting window ledge cards but only used them once, just to see what it feels like. Once the droid ship is destroyed, and the Sith is gone, its game over anyway.

It's only game over if you have 3 figures remaining, to occupy the throne room. If your surviving Jedi just sit in the core, and don't protect your forces in the castle, then you probably won't.

As someone else said, you can't move your other figures into the core, for safety. Perhaps this is your misunderstanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, I thought he was implying he'd just leave everyone hoarded up at the entrance or even on that front strip in front of the palace.

Movement into the core by anyone but Jedi is expressly verboten in the rules. If not, I would weep for Maul...imagine Panaka and a few guards pulling off to help shoot at Maul while Quiggy and Obi keep his movement limited...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I was not more clear. Yes, of course I know that no one can enter the core area. Someone understood me correctly to mean that narrow strip that's not even in the palace. I believe it is 3 spaces wide, which is wide enough to have good shootout, but also prevent any more than 3 enemy droids ever firing at one time. Again, it just so happened that our game was such a blowout that other than Obi-Wan, only 3 guards ever even went to the third floor, and when they did it was just for "fun". Based on what everyone has said it seems like the force was really with the Naboo last night, and hopefully we will never again have a game so one sided. It's not a flaw of the game, it just wasn't in the cards for my wife last night, so "getting to the third floor" never seemed important to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Forhan
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
In most games, Maul will destroy one of the Jedi but then be destroyed himself. If both Jedi survive, the game just became a lot tougher for the TF player. That's why the TF player must go after one Jedi from the start of the game.

Sure, you could hole up in the end of the palace closer to the core. Don't forget that since you can't attack the Viceroys in the throne room, you need at least 3 characters to survive until the destruction of the droid control ship. And don't forget that the TF player can keep pouring in destroyer droids which are a lot tougher to take down than battle droids. If you're going to play cards to take out those DDs, why not play cards to reach the more-easily defended Throne Room where only one enemy unit can attack through the choke-point?

I uploaded a "strategy tips" file a couple of years ago which has some suggestions:

http://files.boardgamegeek.com/viewfile.php3?fileid=3640

In a nutshell, since the TF player must eliminate all but two Naboo palace units to win, the biggest mistake the TF player can make is not using Maul to eliminate one Jedi immediately. Another strong recommendation for the TF player is to get more DDs in the palace as soon as possible. Play the occasional Anakin blocking card or some battlefield cards, but the real focus should be on the Jedi and the palace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus, once everyone is up there, you make things REALLY difficult for the Trade Federation. Marching Droids up the palace is TEDIOUS, SLOW work. You make them burn a lot of cards and actions just trying to get to you...but they can't afford not to!

Meanwhile, if you stay put on the first floor, they can get at you almost right away. Make 'em work for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This might sound like a dumb question. But once you are on the upper level and/or throne room, can you also use Window Ledge Movement to drop down to lower levels in a further effort to "stall"? It seems mean to those tired droids who just marched up 2 floors to get to you, and it was also not done in the movie. But then again, I don't see where the cards say "up only". Has anyone ever used them this way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
I believe it is 3 spaces wide, which is wide enough to have good shootout, but also prevent any more than 3 enemy droids ever firing at one time.

That's not true - a droid's turn is move-attack, so you can have a front line attack and then have the line behind them move in front of the front line and attack.

The most defensible position on the board is the throne room. Parking a figure such as Capt Panaka on the throne room side of the door means that droids can only get one attack per card until Panaka is dead.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
This might sound like a dumb question. But once you are on the upper level and/or throne room, can you also use Window Ledge Movement to drop down to lower levels in a further effort to "stall"? It seems mean to those tired droids who just marched up 2 floors to get to you, and it was also not done in the movie. But then again, I don't see where the cards say "up only". Has anyone ever used them this way?

Yes, you can move down using window ledge movement. I've seen it used this way, but rarely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Forhan
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
DaviddesJ wrote:
ebridge wrote:

Yes, you can move down using window ledge movement. I've seen it used this way, but rarely.

I wouldn't think it would be much of a stall... though it may buy you a turn or two in the right situation. Once you have 3+ troops inside the Throne Room, the only reason to leave is if some droids (or Maul) just broke through your defenses and you need another turn or two before Anakin takes out the droid control ship. If you WLM back to the first floor, then it's easy for the TF player to send in some DDs which can attack you almost immediately. If you WLM to the second floor, the same is still true because of the location of the 1st-to-2nd staircase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.