Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Grossman
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want to make sure that I'm playing this right.
The Good Ideas action card says that it can be played after defeating an enemy Army or capturing a city.

Does defeating an army mean just killing an army irrespective of whether a battle was won?

We had a battle of my 3 armies versus my friends 2 armies. I won the battle, but he killed ("defeated") one of my armies. He wanted to play this card. If I take the card wording literally, then he should get to play the card.

It just seems weird that he should be able to generate ideas from a battle where he has no one left at the end of it.

I compare the wording on this card to the wording on the Heroic General action card, which says to play it after winning a battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say no, he can't use it. Under "Important Terms" on page 4 of the rule book, Army is defined as, "A single army unit or a group of armies in the same space. This includes barbarians."

I would say in this case all of your armies in the space was the "Army" he had to defeat to use the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raph Moimoi
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your troops must survive (at least one) to the entire battle.

The player who destroys all opponent units is the winner.
If all units from both sides are killed, there is no winner and no loser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grossman
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! That was very fast! This forum is the best.

I now agree that he should not be able to play the card. The definition of "Army" in Page 4 addresses this perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.