Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for a bomber game that plays solo, is not too complex in terms of rules and fun to play! So which one is better?

B-17: Queen of the Skies

OR

B-29 Superfortress
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
provence wrote:
Looking for a bomber game that plays solo, is not too complex in terms of rules and fun to play! So which one is better?

B-17: Queen of the Skies

OR

B-29 Superfortress

From what I get from session reports: Both games are dicerolling without meaningful decisions. If you like to be killed, B-17 is better. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
B-17 is fun; my family just played it the other day and my daughters called it "strangely gripping."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Killeen
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give you my 2 cents worth and what I think are three good reasons why I will choose B-29 over B-17:

#1 B-29 is in print; B-17 is not.

#2 B-29 is more realistic to the situation. Things go wrong in B-29 that have nothing to do with the enemy. Because of a lot of little things like that, you feel more like a pilot than you do in B-17. B-17 was beefed up with more enemy action than normal. It even says that in the Designer notes.

#3 B-29 looks better and that adds to the theme.

Don't get me wrong, B-17 is a great game and I own it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Borgelin
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't speak about B29 but, I have had many, many years of great play with B17 and it can truly be a most immersive game. I have recently started flying three squadron 18 plane missions in a campaign flying each bomber as per B17 rules and this is really great but very, very time consuming. Also well worth mentioning are the great play by forum games that are available for this game where lots of others join a group and fly the same mission giving you a real sense of being part of a full squadron. Check out all the great AAR's from Jasta6' play by forum game here on BGG...it is most probably the very best way to play this game!

Which ever you get enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had both. You should try both. I flew two B-17 campaigns (50 missions) in the BGG Bomb Group but traded away B-29 after half a dozen plays. I can't say I gave it a fair chance but I felt I was fighting the weather, fuel consumption and the aircrafts mechanical reliability more than Japanese air defenses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jackson

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had B-17 many years ago. I enjoyed it, wish I still had it. Seems that this would be a prime candidate for a remake.

Good solo experience!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.