Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
and symo
Australia
Northcote
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My understanding of the rules is that infantry can only move OR attack. This makes moving into melee range extremely dangerous as the opposing force get the first strike - potentially a shock attack. This discourages me from ever moving into close combat range. Am I understanding this rule correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim and Ekaya - Sotho Blue
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andsymo wrote:
My understanding of the rules is that infantry can only move OR attack. This makes moving into melee range extremely dangerous as the opposing force get the first strike - potentially a shock attack. This discourages me from ever moving into close combat range. Am I understanding this rule correctly?

Yes, you understand it correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Miller
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
That is correct per 6.2.1.

-Phil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
It is meant to represent the slow speed of reloading muskets, so moving into melee was a dangerous thing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
and symo
Australia
Northcote
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks to everybody for their replies, very much appreciated.

I am now curious as to whether other players avoid melee and stay at range (like my scaredy self) unless they can bring multiple units to bear (knowing that one unit will in all likelihood get shocked). Do others feel this is a reasonable representation of Napoleonic tactics? I am new to the game and I am extremely interested to hear what seasoned campaigners think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim and Ekaya - Sotho Blue
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andsymo wrote:
Thanks to everybody for their replies, very much appreciated.

I am now curious as to whether other players avoid melee and stay at range (like my scaredy self) unless they can bring multiple units to bear (knowing that one unit will in all likelihood get shocked). Do others feel this is a reasonable representation of Napoleonic tactics? I am new to the game and I am extremely interested to hear what seasoned campaigners think.

That's part of what makes Napoleonic combat interesting; you have to decide when it's worth going in with the bayonet. As for being a reasonable representation, this game doesn't pretend to be a deep simulation - I've written a variant to address some issues I had with the game. The move or attack decision for infantry wasn't something I changed though.

Think of it the other way around: would it be reasonable for defenders to simply stand there and watch passively while attackers slog their way across a muddy field from 100 yards away to attack with bayonets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
and symo
Australia
Northcote
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
would it be reasonable for defenders to simply stand there and watch passively while attackers slog their way across a muddy field from 100 yards away to attack with bayonets?

Thanks for the thought. That's a much better way to think of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
and symo
Australia
Northcote
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been playing the game and I am struggling to see a good reason to move infantry into melee range. Keeping them at range prevents the potentially devastating first strike shock capacity of the defending unit. It also costs less AP than a shock attack allowing for more unit actions. I feel these factors make the ranged attack more valuable than the reduction from 1 in 6 to 1 in 3 odds from the shock.

At the end of the day I just want 1 more layer of gameplay that encourages infantry melee - perhaps a 3AP - move 1 hex + shock and/or a 2AP move 1 hex and attack.

But I don't want to throw in a variant that does not reflect the period just to appease my gameplay itch (even if the simulation is extremely light).

This green recruit respectfully seeks seasoned player feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you use the National Abilities optional rules, (+1 die for French shock attack, +1 die for British fire attack), it does really encourage the French player, at least, to shock (and the British player to stay put and shoot). Both are generally realistic, I suppose. Adding the optional rule to allow the leaders to add extra die to infantry shock attacks can make shock attack even more powerful (at high AP cost).

Finally, I might suggest adopting the Vol II rules, which, among one or two other changes, reduce range to fire from 3 die to 1 (simulating that it was mostly just skirmishers at that range). With that change, it becomes very viable to march into musket range. Sure, they can still take two shots at your troops, but generally most players will want to spend AP on something other than a 1/6 chance of removing 1 MP. There is still a danger of the defensive player shocking first, but unless the attacking unit is completely unsupported, he should still have a chance. (A single shock attack will rarely eliminate a whole unit).

Obviously, if a unit does attack unsupported, it sort of deserves to fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must say that being new to this system I have found it a bit risky to shock attack with infantry unless they are the big four morale point British units. My problem is not the potential losses from the fact that the defender gets the option to shock first but if the defender delivers a successful first shock and the attacker losses the morale count his unit is sent packing and may not be in a position to attack again.

I have therefore modified the rules for the defender to make the choice between retreating or firing a three dice volley when the attacker moves adjacent. The attacker therefore gets the benefit of shock attacking first but the defender gets in a close range volley before the shock hits. I also use two dice for fire combat at a one hex range and so the defender that stands his ground gets five dice (2 + 3) against the attacker and can do considerable damage to a three morale point unit before the melee is joined.

I find that this gives the attacker a little more appetite to take the risk of a shock attack using infantry rather than just hanging back stacked with the artillary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.