Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a great Birthday gift! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Holly
United States
Florence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
My boyfriend's birthday is coming up, and I have been thinking and thinking what would be something nice to get him. Most of his interests revolve around gaming, mostly video games, but he does play psuedo online tabletop campaigns with friends. So he's a little wet behind the ears, but I really think a board or card game would be something he would enjoy.. and it would be fun playing it with him too!

He seems to be interested in fantasy and some sci-fi.. not a lot of horror, but he has interest in Cthulhu for some reason. Dragons and robots are favorites. He seems to play comical characters often in his campaigns, and he likes comedies in general. Campaigns I know he's played are Pathfinder, Savage Worlds and All Flesh Must Be Eaten.

Hopefully you guys can help me out with some good recommends for a new player!

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
2-player games? What would get you to play? Start light, or more complex?

Discworld:Ankh-Morpork matches both fantasy and comedy. It's a fun game with plenty of unexpected turns. Has cards, minions, money and buildings, and random events, that do not overpower strategy. Your secret winning condition needs to be filled at the beginning of your turn to win. Works well with all of the advertised number of players (2 to 4). Plays always just under an hour.

Perhaps something with cards, like Android:Netrunner, Race for the Galaxy (which is probably easier to get into of the two)?

A fan of Cube? Try Room 25 for 1-6 players. Try to find the exit room and escape before it is too late, but beware of the traps and lethal rooms. Contains co-op (or solo), team, competition, and suspicion modes, so is quite versatile. The difficulty level can also be adjusted.

If you really want to cater for the Cthulhu, Arkham Horror for the long game (2-3h), Elder Sign for a little bit shorter game (both with lots of dice rolling, so beware).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holly
United States
Florence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
a1bert wrote:
2-player games? What would get you to play?

Discworld:Ankh-Morpork matches both fantasy and comedy. It's a fun game with plenty of unexpected turns. Has cards, minions, money and buildings, and random events, that do not overpower strategy. Your secret winning condition needs to be filled at the beginning of your turn to win. Works well with all of the advertised number of players (2 to 4). Plays always just under an hour.

Perhaps something with cards, like Android:Netrunner, Race for the Galaxy (which is probably easier to get into of the two)?

A fan of Cube? Try Room 25 for 1-6 players. Try to find the exit room and escape before it is too late, but beware of the traps and lethal rooms. Contains co-op (or solo), team, competition, and suspicion modes, so is quite versatile. The difficulty level can also be adjusted.


I love the Discworld books, I would guess he would too.. not gotten him to read them yet. Not heard of Andriod or Race for the Galaxy.. and Room 25 would be something I would like, since Cube is one of my favorite movies ever!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)

Mice and Mystics

Bye
Thanee
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo

Elder Sign

Both under $30
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:


Although a good and relatively quick filler game (and fills my dice game quota), KoT does not really work with just 2 players.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blank Francis
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels scales really well, from two players up to seven, and is not too heavy but still encourages plenty of thinking, bluffing and deduction. In my experience it's been a great game for new players.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:


Although a good and relatively quick filler game (and fills my dice game quota), KoT does not really work with just 2 players.


I disagree, with a few minor tweaks it is a great tug of war, king of the hill battle. Yes it's better with more but can still be fun with two.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Elder Sign
Both under $30


If it has to do with Cthulhu, I will usually just buy it sight unseen. I know something is wrong with me.

Anyway, Elder Sign is a great casual-ish game that can be finished in less than two hours solo -- but it works great with two or three people as well.

If he has any familiarity with the Cthulhu Mythos there's plenty of theme to make it interesting. I think it's a solid choice.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
try Dungeon Lords

- It's fantasy theme
- adopts a computer game /dungeon keeper)
- good game (see ratings here)
- and it's fun and with some comical elements


If you wanna a quick 2-player game, have a look at Blue Moon
Card game, every player player ´fights with his people for the 3 dragons..
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Loftus
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror is Cthulhu - and has a one player option
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holly
United States
Florence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
So many wonderful ideas, and most of them are really nothing I'd thought of! Granted, our local shops don't have a lot to offer unless I travel over to Cincinnati..

I am going to get on the phone today and call some of those shops, see if I can pick them up more locally than having to wait.. but we will see. I just might end up ordering from Amazon or somewhere with a quick delivery available.

I am highly considering: Android: Netrunner, Elder Sign, Room 25, Dungeon Lords, and possibly Munchkin.

I'm still open to any recommendations. I like all the games mentioned, and they are going on a list so I can check them out in the future!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaded Lounges
United States
Vashon
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Noli me tangere, Caesaris sum.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Lords is not a good choice for someone without a great deal of gaming experience. It has too many counterintuitive mechanics and the rule book is difficult.

I suggest Wiz-War (eighth edition). Fantasy battles with wizards and magic. Plays well with two. Comedic.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be helpful to make a great first impression. While it is difficult to predict what would pique a person's interested, I think choosing a truly excellent game would be a good start.

While I like many of the games suggested here, there are quite a few that either don't have the staying power or that are not top of the class. Wiz-war, Munchkin and Elder Sign, I don't think have staying power. Wrath of Ashadarlon is good but not great. Arkham Horror is excellent but the rule book can be daunting and it is quite a long game.

Android: Netrunner I think is a great suggestion. It is in he top 10 for a reason. It is very well designed, the rules are a little complex but not much, the duration is reasonable, not very long but not too short either. Quite a few options right out of the box including pre constructed decks.

I am not sure i can give a better suggestion than this but considering a one game collection, I think a game like Race for the Galaxy could be an alternative as would be 7 Wonders. I am more skeptical about Dominion.

Good luck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hollthulhu wrote:
So many wonderful ideas, and most of them are really nothing I'd thought of! Granted, our local shops don't have a lot to offer unless I travel over to Cincinnati..

I am going to get on the phone today and call some of those shops, see if I can pick them up more locally than having to wait.. but we will see. I just might end up ordering from Amazon or somewhere with a quick delivery available.

I am highly considering: Android: Netrunner, Elder Sign, Room 25, Dungeon Lords, and possibly Munchkin.

I'm still open to any recommendations. I like all the games mentioned, and they are going on a list so I can check them out in the future!


Out of those, I would go with netrunner for two players. My wife and my favorite is RFTG like someone else mentioned and it scales well from 2-6 if you get the first 2 expansions. Actually, she got me the RFTG stuff for my birthday back in the day, but I was board gamer already.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Deignan
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hollthulhu wrote:
My boyfriend's birthday is coming up, and I have been thinking and thinking what would be something nice to get him. Most of his interests revolve around gaming, mostly video games, but he does play psuedo online tabletop campaigns with friends. So he's a little wet behind the ears, but I really think a board or card game would be something he would enjoy.. and it would be fun playing it with him too!

He seems to be interested in fantasy and some sci-fi.. not a lot of horror, but he has interest in Cthulhu for some reason. Dragons and robots are favorites. He seems to play comical characters often in his campaigns, and he likes comedies in general. Campaigns I know he's played are Pathfinder, Savage Worlds and All Flesh Must Be Eaten.

Hopefully you guys can help me out with some good recommends for a new player!



You should consider King of Tokyo. Alternatively, if you worry about the two player issues with KoT, you could try Elder Sign which fits his affection for the Cthulhu mythos.

If your first choice is a hit, you can look at starting a collection in the future with some more substantial (IE: expensive) selections.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Stewart
Macao
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Mage Wars Arena would be my top recommendation for someone who like video gaming and fantasy worlds. If he likes video games, I would stay away from anything with victory points (*cough* euro games).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say those games are bad, but if your bf thinks dice hate him (they hate me) he will not enjoy those.


Quote:

You should consider King of Tokyo. Alternatively, if you worry about the two player issues with KoT, you could try Elder Sign which fits his affection for the Cthulhu mythos.

If your first choice is a hit, you can look at starting a collection in the future with some more substantial (IE: expensive) selections.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.