Subject: Regional Report: Independence, MO 4/10 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Jones
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
Hey all, I went to my first regional last week and decided to write a tourney report, which is also a first for me. It was a dark and stormy Wednesday night, so I didn't expect a huge turnout. We had fourteen. I consider this pretty damn good given the weekday regional. I came up with a bud from Columbia, Peter
Peter Hall
United States
Marion
SC - South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
, and four people came from Springfield, including the illustrious AGOT Worlds Champion Brett Zeiler. Sorry if I missed any other out-of-towners. Without further distraction, let me give you my deck lists, a quick overview of my matches then a look at the decks of the first and second place players.

For my Corp side, I played HB fast advance. It used to be a standard 'tower of power' build, but when I realized, or rather when Peter realized, I scored most of my agendas out of hand, I put in the SanSan but kept a bit of the Big Ice theme. On the Runner side, I played Noise workshop. Yeah, I know. Since Imp was released I had been tooling around with a virus-heavy Noise deck, and after reading
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
's post about the workshop, I decided to try it. Practically a day later I decided to go to this tournament and so I did relatively no play-testing, and hoped that my experience with virus noise was enough. The only other runner deck I had built was a turbo-rig Chaos Theory, but did not feel comfortable taking it to a tournament. So it goes...

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Android: Netrunner Deck Builder

Identity:
Haas-Bioroid: Engineering the Future (Core)

Total Cards: (49)

Agenda: (9)
Accelerated Beta Test (Core) x3
Mandatory Upgrades (What Lies Ahead) x1
Priority Requisition (Core) x2
Project Vitruvius (Cyber Exodus) x3

Asset: (7)
Melange Mining Corp (Core) x3
Edge of World (Cyber Exodus) x1 ■■
Adonis Campaign (Core) x3

ICE: (21)
Heimdall 1.0 (Core) x2
Ice Wall (Core) x3 ■
Ichi 1.0 (Core) x3
Janus 1.0 (What Lies Ahead) x2
Pop-up Window (Cyber Exodus) x3 ■
Rototurret (Core) x2
Viktor 1.0 (Core) x1
Viper (Cyber Exodus) x3
Wall of Static (Core) x2

Operation: (7)
Archived Memories (Core) x2
Biotic Labor (Core) x2
Hedge Fund (Core) x3

Upgrade: (5)
Ash 2X3ZB9CY (What Lies Ahead) x1
Corporate Troubleshooter (Core) x2
SanSan City Grid (Core) x2 ■■■

Total Agenda Points: 20

Influence Values Totals -
Haas-Bioroid: 45
Jinteki: 2
NBN: 9
The Weyland Consortium: 3

Identity:
Noise: Hacker Extraordinaire (Core)

Total Cards: (45)

Event: (9)
Deja Vu (Core) x3
Stimhack (Core) x3
Sure Gamble (Core) x3

Hardware: (4)
Grimoire (Core) x3
Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead) x1

Program: (21)
Corroder (Core) x1
Crescentus (A Study in Static) x1 ■
Crypsis (Core) x3
Datasucker (Core) x3
Djinn (Core) x3
Femme Fatale (Core) x1 ■
Imp (What Lies Ahead) x3
Medium (Core) x2
Nerve Agent (Cyber Exodus) x1
Parasite (Core) x3

Resource: (11)
Personal Workshop (Cyber Exodus) x2 ■■■■
Sacrificial Construct (Core) x1 ■
Wyldside (Core) x3
Armitage Codebusting (Core) x3
Aesop's Pawnshop (Core) x2 ■■

Anarch: 58
Criminal: 2
Shaper: 13

First, let me say that I have a terrible memory for details; which begs the question: "Dave, why the hell would you do a tourney report in that case?" I took notes! (But not that well, unfortunately.) So if I played you and you feel that I slighted your game-play, know that it was not intentional.

The tournament was three round Swiss, followed by a cut to top four.

My first match was against Metro-area local Brent. I played Corp first to his non-workshop Noise. He scored an early Vitruvius, but when he crashed into a Ichi on his last, or second-to-last, click with only a corroder, I felt more secure in the game. He seemed to have a slow start as I only saw two viruses the whole game, albeit I don't know his deck construction. I was able to pull off a PR while he was breakerless and rezzed a Janus. The rest of the agendas were scored out of hand. For his runner Brent was playing Jinteki: Personal Evolution... Frak. The one corp no one in my meta plays, (No Peter I don't consider your deck, cause it was bad ). This turned out to be the shortest game of Netrunner I've ever played! He opened up with an install on a remote, he iced it, then advanced it. Hmm.. I have a medium and his R&D is open. Should I? I do. On the first dive I pull a braintrust. Ok. Let's do it again. I pull a Nisei. Awesome. I got two cards left... ok let's go. I pull a fetal, pay for it and die. Brent's game. After the first agenda I realized I tied the match so I was willing to go all out.

My Results after Round One: 16 match pts, 4 prestige. Brent and I spent the rest of our thirty minutes talking about the game and having a good time.

Next game was against local Brodie. I Noise first against a NBN fast-advance. Again, I had a medium in hand and was confronted with an iceless R&D. Hell, yeah I go for it again. I manage to get a Restructured Datapool. I don't remember much of this game-read: no notes-but I do recall hitting R&D a couple times with 5+ tokens. This inevitably won me the game. In the next game I faced Gabe; it seemed to be an aggro econ-draining Gabe. This was the most epic game I've played since Netrunner was released. Some highlights: I had two vipers, one on R&D and HQ each, which Brodie swore f*cked his day up. I had an early Melange and started gaining cash. He eventually trashed it, and I subsequently installed another and began to farm again. He then hit me with Account Siphon, but I spent all 15 creds on Viper's trace to end the run (he didn't have a code gate breaker), which he allowed to happen. I melanged. He did it again... I spent all my monies again. Near the end of the game, there were only three-five cards left in his stack and six cards left in R&D... The score was something like 4-4 or 4-6, so I needed two to win. I scored ABT and decided to not use its effect, as I only had four cards. I baited him twice into my tower with Adonis, just waiting to draw a biotic labor. I did just that the next turn and scored vitruvius out of hand. Whew.

My score now was 36 match points and 10 prestige.

Third match was against Russel, another native. Unfortunately, this is the game I have the least amount of notes for, that is, none. I don't know if I was tired or what, but I'm sorry Russel! His corp side was HB:ETF with amazon splashed in, which was interesting. Things I do remember of that game: He had a remote with a wall of static followed by a draco, protecting a card with three advancement counters on it. I had a corroder and I stimhacked into the server, having now more credits than he did for Draco's trace. It was a mandatory upgrade, which I was glad to steal from him. That card can be a big swing! He scored four agenda points that game, but I came out with win. As his runner Russel was using Kate. He scored two agenda points, and I scored out of hand for the win. I do remember that he never let me keep my beloved SanSan shake.

Totals after Swiss: 56 match points and 16 prestige.

Cut to top Four: I was the first seed, Behrooz was second seed with 16 prestige as well, Brent was 3rd and Peter was 4th. This meant I had to play Peter, sigh. Our match was awful. I played corp first, drawing, after mulligan, ABT, ABT, Vitruvius, Melange, Melange. Sweet. Mandatory draw: Vitruvius. Ok. I lost. He knew my deck inside and out, so I had a hard time bluffing this one. I did score one Vitruvius (yay), but was trampled by his Gabe Aggro. I managed to stall a good bit, but the only ice I saw was Janus, archer, and an icewall-after he got his corroder. If I have one complaint about the tournament rules its that after that first game I knew the second didn't matter. I want each game to matter, but the one that followed didn't; this irritated me. The second game was against his HB:ETF fast advance, which had all three and four cost agendas, which I think is the better build. I don't really remember this game as I was kinda distraught after my crushing defeat. His fast advance could easily tie the game, but that was quickly shut out when he scored an ABT and a False Lead early (I think.) So, I took either 3rd or 4th depending on Brent's points.

The finals was Peter vs. Behrooz. Behrooz was running Weyland:BBW Scorchy, trappy deck and his runner was aggro gabe. I've already typed enough so I won't bore you with details of this game, unless you guys want to see it. Behrooz ended up winning a hard fought battle. It was pretty awesome. He got a cool trophy and cool little plastic ID cards and I'm not even jealous. Well, maybe I am. Very much so. Here are their decklists, with permission of course:

Behrooz, the Champ!

Identity:
Weyland Consortium: Building a Better World (Core)

Agenda: (10)
Priority Requisition (Core) x2
Project Atlas (What Lies Ahead) x2
Posted Bounty (Core) x2
Hostile Takeover (Core) x2
Government Contracts (A Study in Static) x2

Asset: (8)
Ghost Branch (Core) x2 ■
Melange Mining Corp (Core) x3
Snare! (Core) x2 ■■
Project Junebug (Core) x1 ■

ICE: (19)
Neural Katana (Core) x2 ■■
Data Raven (Core) x2 ■■
Ice Wall (Core) x3
Archer (Core) x2
Shadow (Core) x3
Hadrian's Wall (Core) x2
Enigma (Core) x3
Chimera (Cyber Exodus) x2

Operation: (12)
Hedge Fund (Core) x3
Scorched Earth (Core) x2
Beanstalk Royalties (Core) x3
Shipment from Kaguya (Core) x2
Power Grid Overload (Trace Amount) x1
Oversight AI (A Study in Static) x1

Upgrade: (0)

Haas-Bioroid: 0
Jinteki: 9
NBN: 6
The Weyland Consortium: 32

Identity:
Gabriel Santiago: Consummate Professional (Core)

Event: (27)
Deja Vu (Core) x1 ■■
Easy Mark (Core) x2
Sure Gamble (Core) x3
Diesel (Core) x2 ■■
Inside Job (Core) x3
Account Siphon (Core) x3
Forged Activation Orders (Core) x3
The Maker's Eye (Core) x2 ■■
Stimhack (Core) x1 ■
Infiltration (Core) x2
Emergency Shutdown (Cyber Exodus) x2
Special Order (Core) x3

Hardware: (2)
Desperado (Core) x2

Program: (9)
Corroder (Core) x2 ■■
Sneakdoor Beta (Core) x3
Femme Fatale (Core) x2
Crypsis (Core) x2

Resource: (7)
Compromised Employee (Trace Amount) x3
Bank Job (Core) x1

Anarch: 7
Criminal: 61
Shaper: 8

And now Second place Peter's Decks:

Identity:
Haas-Bioroid: Engineering the Future (Core)

Agenda: (11)
Accelerated Beta Test (Core) x3
Private Security Force (Core) x3
Project Vitruvius (Cyber Exodus) x3
False Lead (A Study in Static) x2

Asset: (7)
PAD Campaign (Core) x2
Melange Mining Corp (Core) x2
Adonis Campaign (Core) x3

ICE: (19)
Viper (Cyber Exodus) x3
Ice Wall (Core) x3 ■
Wall of Thorns (Core) x2 ■
Wall of Static (Core) x1
Ichi 1.0 (Core) x3
Neural Katana (Core) x1 ■■
Rototurret (Core) x2
Pop-up Window (Cyber Exodus) x1 ■
Viktor 1.0 (Core) x2
Sensei (Trace Amount) x1 ■

Operation: (8)
Biotic Labor (Core) x3
Archived Memories (Core) x2
Hedge Fund (Core) x3

Upgrade: (4)
Ash 2X3ZB9CY (What Lies Ahead) x2
SanSan City Grid (Core) x2 ■■■

Haas-Bioroid: 41
Jinteki: 5
NBN: 7
The Weyland Consortium: 3

Identity:
Gabriel Santiago: Consummate Professional (Core)

Event: (22)
Inside Job (Core) x3
Sure Gamble (Core) x3
Special Order (Core) x3
Forged Activation Orders (Core) x3
Account Siphon (Core) x3
The Maker's Eye (Core) x3 ■■
Emergency Shutdown (Cyber Exodus) x3
Stimhack (Core) x1 ■

Hardware: (3)
Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead) x2
Desperado (Core) x1

Program: (11)
Corroder (Core) x2 ■■
Crypsis (Core) x2
Crescentus (A Study in Static) x2
Femme Fatale (Core) x2
Yog.0 (Core) x1 ■
Sneakdoor Beta (Core) x2

Resource: (9)
Bank Job (Core) x2
Aesop's Pawnshop (Core) x1 ■■
Compromised Employee (Trace Amount) x3

Anarch: 6
Criminal: 59
Shaper: 8

Overall, I had great time, met new and aweome people, and can't wait for the next regional. I expected more Weyland and Noise, but the turnout seemed very shaper and HB heavy. Congratulations, Behrooz, on your win, and everyone keep running.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dawkins
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report! And I agree, fourteen players is a fantastic turnout for a weeknight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spags
United States
Ill Mil
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In your terrible draw, tell me your play was:

Install ABT
Install Melange
Install ABT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad about that 4 agenda 2 melange hand in the top 4.
Wouldve been cool to see a workshop noise win, given the haters quoting other regionals results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Jones
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
spags wrote:
In your terrible draw, tell me your play was:

Install ABT
Install Melange
Install ABT

It was indeed something to this effect. I had to do something and drawing, or just sitting on four agendas did not seem prudent. He ended up running HQ once, getting, I think, the other Melange, and then running the three remotes. He knew the only trap I ran was Edge of world, so he knew he would score or trash the easily destroyed Melange. Bummer.

Alexfrog wrote:
Too bad about that 4 agenda 2 melange hand in the top 4.
Wouldve been cool to see a workshop noise win, given the haters quoting other regionals results.

Yeah, the decks were hot for the first part of the night, but that draw killed me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm... I've had a hand similar to this.

Many moons ago I installed just like that and lost very very quickly.

Since then, I've tried this. Draw. Draw. if no ICE keep something in your hand that is either expensive or can soak damage like a hedge fund. Probably dropping one of the mines and an agenda into the archives.

Its a rare day I get runner to spend all his actions on my HQ but at least it gives me some fighting chance that he'll hit a non-agenda.

I also don't mulligan any more for this exact reason. ... I just expect to get a worse hand. That is likely a mistake - and tournament games may vary, but! I want to practice as many bad hands as I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spags
United States
Ill Mil
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brutal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezio Auditore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Really wish I could have made it out for your regional from St. Louis, just couldn't swing a wednesday night. Sounds like you still had a large turnout! Awesome!

Grats on the top 4 performance, with an opening hand like that, scoring anything is really impressive.

Good luck if you decide to head out to other out of town regionals!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.