Steve G.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When the second edition came out, I was disappointed with my experiences because the Overlord and heroes didn't scale smoothly. Three heroes seemed to be the sweet spot. Two heroes skewed towards the OL, and four heroes often allowed players to slam monsters so hard the OL had little to hit back with when his turn came.

I know some folks haven't had that experience, and feel the game is perfectly fine at all ranges, but I'm basically asking if there have been any errate and/or expansions that really changed the game in a major way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two currently available expansions that tweak the balance.

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Lair of the Wyrm adds two new heroes and classes, a few new quests, and the Rumor mechanic, which is generally thought to favor the heroes.

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (second edition) – Conversion Kit adds 48 new heroes (well, old heroes, really) and 25 new monsters (old monsters), and it is generally considered to favor the overlord.

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Labyrinth of Ruin isn't out yet, but it's a larger expansion with four new characters/classes, a new full campaign, a new Basic Overlord deck, among other things. It isn't known whether this favors one side over the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response. I have the conversion kit. While many of the monsters are nasty, I find that if the players can cherry-pick from all of them, a four-player party can pretty handily obliterate the majority of monster groups before they can mount an offense.

Here's hoping a new OL makes the game a little less susceptable to the four-hero alpha-strike opener.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve davis
msg tools
I personally think that its not so much the amount of heroes that determins who wins, its more to do with the fact that the overlord is one person. Its more likely for that person to make a mistake than it is for the heroes.

For example I was playing the overlord on one of the interval missions (the one where the overlord has to kill one of the heroes who is carrying a key or something)

Anyway I thought I had a great strategy, basically pull all my monsters back to below the waterfalls and basically attack there (instead of attacking bit by bit)I almost had the game won (killed two of the heroes with only two left)when I made a stupid mistake and the heroes snuck past and won the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Like I said, my experience is that eight attacks can destroy an entire monster group, so the OL has nothing to hit back with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve davis
msg tools
To the OP, there are new updated FAQ's on FFG's website, they include tweaks to the Castle Daerion mission, the Man Who Would Be King mission and varioustweaks to the Overlords cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.