Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Tessier
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Hi everyone,

My name is Ryan and it's my first time posting in BGG! I love the community and have been hanging around (in a non-creepy way) for a long time.

As a lover of adventure games, my question is, what particular aspects of adventure board games inspire you to buy them? Here, I'm referring to the term "adventure games" as defined on BGG: "Adventure games often have themes of heroism, exploration, and puzzle-solving. The storyline behind such games often have fantastical elements, and involve the characters in some sort of quest." Games like Mansions of Madness and Descent fit this category.

Is it the story? Is it the mechanics of play? Is it replay-ability? Easy set up and pack up? Simple rules? A smaller number of pieces? Can you rank them in order of importance or do they all tie? Would you buy a game that has all the mechanics in place on top of a theme, but a hidden story (that is, you don't know what the story is until after you've purchased it and have begun playing)?

Interested to hear your replies.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When a good one comes out I'll let you know.

I own and enjoy MoM and Descent...but don't find either one of these an "adventure" game.

Fortune and Glory tried......shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crushing the other players, seeing them driven before me, and hearing the lamentations of their women.

-Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
mbmbmbmbmb
I´m a sucker for these type of games but I realize more often now that it varies what draws me into them.

I would consider Arkham Horror to be an adventure game, I love the RPG lite elements character sheets, inventory items and mini story based approach (encounters). Setup is a hassle, play time is pretty long but I love the story that it weaves from the crazy situations that erupt all over the board.

Mage Knight Board Game flopped for me at first, I saw the light once I realized that it was a game about crushing as much stuff as you can rather then exploring for loot. Now that I understand that you are representing a near demi god on a power rampage, I really find myself enjoying it.

Super Dungeon Explore ticks all my "presentation" boxes, it looks fantastic and its dripping with theme. Its really a tactical skirmish game more then an adventure, but its a fantastic game.

Descent: Journeys in the Dark Is the king of the traditional adventure to me though. Its a slow (very slow) dungeon crawl, filled with monsters, dungeons, loot and traps. Not a perfect game, but nothing can scratch that dungeon crawl itch like it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
I can tell you more easily what I dislike: time limits. I play this type of game because I want to explore. Time limits (whether they're of the "X turns until you lose" or the "something bad happens every turn so you'd better minimise the number of turns" variety) prevent me doing the very thing I get enjoyment from, as I feel I have to rush to my objective and miss things along the way.

There are other games where I very much enjoy these types of mechanics - Forbidden Island, Pandemic, or Zombicide for instance all get more intense by employing a "things get much worse unless you complete your objective fast" type of gameplay to good effect, but if I'm playing a dungeon crawler I want to search out every nook and cranny along the way and I should be rewarded for doing so (with some delicious loot), not penalised.

Other things that make a good dungeon crawler:

Loot I've already mentioned, this just appeals to the instant gratification gene in all of us. Some kind of scaling mechanism so you find better loot as you progress is nice (or else have loot drops as money that you can spend at a store).

Character progression - this definitely helps to keep things fresh as you don't have just four or five characters to choose from, you gave four or five characters multiplied by their branching skill trees.

Campaigns. The game should not require them to be fun, but they should be built in from the start and not an afterthought, since you can easily become heavily invested in a character or group and it's an instant win to be able to use that same character across a series of linked adventures.

Simplified rules are a nice to have, particularly for things that a lot of other games make a big mess of (such as line of sight), I don't mind more complicated rules but as I get older I find I have more appreciation for a streamlined gaming experience, not to mention it makes it much easier to involve casual/non-gamers in the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the character development and customization. It's like a feature-rich RPG (minus the roleplaying), boiled down to a day or less of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy discovery/exploration. Hitting new encounters, coming across new enemies, encountering the unpredictable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.