Popular Tags: [View All]
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am wondering what folks think about ASLSK solely as a solo game. It seems to me that one of the best things about ASLSK is the number of players available familiar with the system. I have played a couple of times with other people and the game clearly shines. But now I really have no steady competition. So I pretty much play wargames solo. I don't like VASSAL as a medium.

So when I survey ASLSK solely as a solo game, it seems like other tactical WWII games may actually be better for this. For example, Lock n Load has a spotting mechanism which leaves uncertainty regarding your ability to shoot or be at shot at. Combat Commander has the cards as a randomizer that add surprise to the game.

Just curious if there any people out there who play solo primarily. If so, any thoughts about the merits of the game in this setting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It plays OK solitaire. I would think that there are some other solitaire systems out there on the topic that would do better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jackson

Gastonia,
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played solo, I think that it plays solo just as well as other WWII tactical wargames. I just think of it as a simulation, and play each side during their turn to what I think is the best move for the situation. The dice rolls are random enough to keep "surprises" coming up in a solo game.

Reconsider Vassal, I really enjoyed many games on Vassal. If you like the ASLSK's, there are plenty of opportunities to play against opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Taylor
United States
Kearny
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
atsgamer wrote:
I am wondering what folks think about ASLSK solely as a solo game. It seems to me that one of the best things about ASLSK is the number of players available familiar with the system. I have played a couple of times with other people and the game clearly shines. But now I really have no steady competition. So I pretty much play wargames solo. I don't like VASSAL as a medium.

So when I survey ASLSK solely as a solo game, it seems like other tactical WWII games may actually be better for this. For example, Lock n Load has a spotting mechanism which leaves uncertainty regarding your ability to shoot or be at shot at. Combat Commander has the cards as a randomizer that add surprise to the game.

Just curious if there any people out there who play solo primarily. If so, any thoughts about the merits of the game in this setting?

Most of my gaming is solo as well.I haven’t seen Combat Commander but I have Forgotten Heros; looks like a great system but the one drawback appears to be limited amount of counters in the game and it’s replayability.

I’m using the Starter kits primarily as a means to learn ASL. Having said that I’ve had a blast playing some of the scenarios (War of the Rats and Paper Army spring to mind). The main drawback I see playing scenarios that require hidden initial placement; especially for Guns. If you have followed jay Richardson’s tutorials you’ll see a mention of Vehicles dealing with moving not knowing where a hidden Gun might be or when it will drop its hidden status and fire. Us solo guys are missing out on that fun (if anyone has a house rule to deal with this please share).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never enjoyed ASL solitaire, mainly because it's often too hard to plausibly simulate an opponent's Defensive Fire choices. The battle of wits aspect of the movement phase falls apart there. You get similar problems in SK2/3 with hidden units. I wouldn't say the SK's are unplayable solo, but I'd prefer something with more randomness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Taylor
United States
Kearny
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
I've never enjoyed ASL solitaire, mainly because it's often too hard to plausibly simulate an opponent's Defensive Fire choices. The battle of wits aspect of the movement phase falls apart there. You get similar problems in SK2/3 with hidden units. I wouldn't say the SK's are unplayable solo, but I'd prefer something with more randomness.

Try and get your hands on the rules for the ASL solitaire module. I have the same problem you have but there a lot of helpful hints in solitaire module as to how to conduct attacks and against which units. This, plus the randomness Jim Jackson points out, makes the Starter kits a great way to get grounded in ASL and have a good time as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Taylor
United States
Kearny
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

Reconsider Vassal, I really enjoyed many games on Vassal. If you like the ASLSK's, there are plenty of opportunities to play against opponents.[/q]

Couldn’t agree more. The UI is a bit cumbersome at first glance; my advice is to get a log file and step through a game (Jay once again, as always, thank you).

One of the features I like is the dice rolling ability. Not only can you enter your SAN numbers but it replaces the dilemma of snatching up the dice after a successful fire attack before checking if your SW has maintained ROF ( This is especially true if you have knocked back one too many…)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greggie66 wrote:
Try and get your hands on the rules for the ASL solitaire module.

I have SASL. The rules help to an extent, but can ultimately be gamed to a significant degree. They're not bad for what they attempt to do, but overall they add even more overhead to what's already a complicated game. Personally, it's just too much work for me to enjoy in a solo game. If I were unable to find local opponents, perhaps my judgment would be different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OP here. It sounds like my conclusions are spot on. ASLSK is a great two player game, but because of its high level of player control it does not translate as well into a solo experience. Regarding my aversion to Vassal, I just can't sit before a computer screen any more than I already do. I love the tangible and tactile parts of analog gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My thoughts on playing solo these games:

I think the SKs work solo better than full ASL. I've tried it and it's like an ASL exercise, moving units around just for the fun of it. Not having concealment is a plus, though there is still some HIP, specially guns. In have not tried SASL yet.

LNL is also good for solo enjoyment, as the spotting system does not handicap solo play like concealment does. But the game experience is shallower, in my opinion.

The suppression system in BoB also works very well solo, but it relies a lot in concealment and dummies, which work not so well solo. There's a thread of a fan made solo system in development.

And CoH is a little messy to play solo, with tons of hidden units and tracking several activation procedures at the same time. BUT they are developing an official solo system, so we have to keep an eye on that.

So in my opinion the easiest to play solo is also the easiest to play, LNL, and then ASL SK.

Edit: grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
OP here. It sounds like my conclusions are spot on. ASLSK is a great two player game, but because of its high level of player control it does not translate as well into a solo experience.

It depends. If you like solo wargaming (playing a game intended for two by yourself), than the starter kits are fine.

If you are looking for a wargame with actual solo rules, than keep searching.

Personally, i like leaving wargames setup and tinkering around with them for weeks at a time. But i have yet to encounter "solo" rules that i really like. They all seem to... well, suck. I'de just rather play the game back and forth and see what happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
Quote:
OP here. It sounds like my conclusions are spot on. ASLSK is a great two player game, but because of its high level of player control it does not translate as well into a solo experience.

It depends. If you like solo wargaming (playing a game intended for two by yourself), than the starter kits are fine.

If you are looking for a wargame with actual solo rules, than keep searching.

Personally, i like leaving wargames setup and tinkering around with them for weeks at a time. But i have yet to encounter "solo" rules that i really like. They all seem to... well, suck. I'de just rather play the game back and forth and see what happens.

I concur with your views on strictly solo games. I find games with AI and solo rules uninteresting or frustrating. I hate when an AI makes a dumb or unrealistic move. So I do prefer playing both sides. But I do like some randomness. I like chit pull systems or other mechanisms (cards, dice rolls) that limit omniscience. I can enjoy playing two player wargames solo because I love the history and tinkering with tactics. But with ASLSK it seems perhaps too chess like - no surprises. Is that fair?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom D.
Canada
Chateauguay Valley
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heard really great thing about D-Day at Omaha Beach http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/29603/d-day-at-omaha-beac...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest taking a look at Retro: Tactical WWII Wargame Variant Rules. It's designed with solitaire players in mind and works with ASL or ASLSK.

http://minden_games.homestead.com/Retro4.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
+1 for retro. This replaces the intricate ASL turn sequence with a much more straightforward IGO UGO system. It also streamlines and simplifies many of the mechanics while keeping the flavour of ASL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.