Mice and Mystics» Forums » General

Subject: An evening with my 6 yo that I will never forget rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vincent Bertrand
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok so I just wanted to post this as a comment on the game since I never have time to write complete reviews, but hopefully this may interest someone somewhere...
Here is a little background:
So I have three kids, my oldest is turning 6 soon. I am a longtime tabletop gamer, and I have been waiting for years and dreaming of finally being able to play great games with my kids. I mean playing mouse trap is fun and all, but... You know..
Anyway, my youngest is 18 months old and still in the "lock and bolt everything down" crazy period. Setting up a board game like this is out of the question while the baby is anywhere near, so I didn't have much chance to start gaming with my oldest...
But last week, I told her that she could stay up while her brothers where in bed and she could have a special evening with her papa playing a game about mouse knights trying to save a kingdom.
I will remember this evening forever.

She has always been interested in my games and always wanted to play, but I could never find a game that I would like playing and she could understand and follow... Until mice and mystics. I mean yes, I needed to read cards for her and guide her once in a while. But every few minutes, she would surprise me with what she was planning to do and how well she understood what was going on, and she ended up being a better coop partner that some of my 30 year old friends!
And the best of it, is that mice and mystics is nowhere near dumbed down or simplistic. It's just streamlined enough to be able to conjure up a really good dungeon crawl and an amazingly good atmosphere without needing a heavy rule set. It has simple but interesting combat, there is meaningful decision making during the scenarios, (like taking on side quests for example) and the design of the boards make it really feel like you are questing as tiny rodents in a huge castle. I mean using a spoon and catapulting your partner up a table is just really good stuff. There is an advancement system while playing a campaign that, while nothing more that bringing over an ability card,at least makes it so that she feels like its her own character that she follows during the adventure. I mean it's more than Descent 1st ed. had before the expansions... Speaking of Descent, play time in M&M is far more manageable than the first edition, running at around the same length for a scenario as descent 2nd edition.

We haven't gone though the hole campaign yet, but the way her eyes sparkled when she was explaining how she would get rid of the three rats surrounding us tells me we will probably finish it in no time.
Before putting her to bed after finishing her first game, she turned to me and said" Thanks for letting me play one of your grown up games, I can't wait to get to the end and battle that nasty spider queen Vanestra and save the king!"
Say what you will about books, movies or video games, but I have never seen her imagination go so wild as it was when she was guiding her little mouse through a castle battling tiny creatures with dice and cards.

• [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff there Vincent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgul Vale
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
My guy's only 3 and it's hard to keep him focused on Forbidden Island (I have him move the pieces and keep going "oh no the island's sinking!") which is fun for a little while, but I can't wait for this! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 4 & 1 year old boys, and tried the same thing with my eldest after putting the baby to bed. He loves to roll the dice, count the spaces to move the heroes, and attack and defend. In another year or two, I think he'll really be able to sink his teeth into the story and gameplay. Thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malek
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this! I play with my 5 yr old and she also is very interested in the story. Although mostly she's interested in the loot she gets from searching. By the end of every chapter her mice have so much stuff they look like christmas trees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Leist

Hagerstown
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmb
private_caspar wrote:
Thanks for this! I play with my 5 yr old and she also is very interested in the story. Although mostly she's interested in the loot she gets from searching. By the end of every chapter her mice have so much stuff they look like christmas trees.

My daughter does the same thing. Her mother should be proud. Accessorize in the face of eminent capture!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vincent, thank you for sharing your wonderful story. I know that many of us have had the same experience with this game.

Jerry has given all of us gamer parents of young children a special gift with Mice and Mystics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V Dickson
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing! This is exactly why I love this game so, so much. My sons (now 6 & 8) and I have had so many wonderful evenings together because of Mice and Mystics. It's just delightful!

Some of my best memories surround gaming with my sons. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Paterson
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Droo!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this! I've had many nights like this in the past couple of years - they are great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Bertrand
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind words guys!
Now I can't wait for her brothers to be able join us.
I really think this is one of the best ways to spend time at home with your kids. It sparks imagination, there's math, reading, parallel thinking, problem solving, team building etc.
I didn't used to see tabletop gaming as being educational, but when you think about it, everything you do while playing board games makes you use your brain, from ameritrash adventure gaming all the way to Euro worker placement.
You know, I am also an avid videogamer, and I do let the kids play on the TV once in a while, but as much as I defend the medium (If it were for my wife, they probably wouldn't even know what a controller is ), there is always a little bit of me that wonders how good it is for them...
But on the other hand, is there anyone here that has reservations in letting their kids play board games? Can't seem to think of a single reason not to... I wouldn't even mind if they played 4 hours straight! I don't let them play wii more than 20 minutes at a time though.
Ultimately, given a choice, I would gladly unplug everything in favour of meeples any day. This is what playing mice and mystics with my little girl showed me.
I have Jerry Hawthorne to thank for this illumination, and I can guarantee that my kids will hold a special place in their hearts for this game for a long time, probably the same way HeroQuest still makes me smile every time I open that musty box...
The only difference being that I never played that or Fireball island with MY father, but that's another discussion entirely
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of the reason I made the leap to boardgaming was to get away from video games, and spend more face-to-face time with my family and friends. While the effects of video games on children is a completely different can of worms, no one can really argue the benefits of boardgaming with kids!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Alderman
United States
Shady Spring
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Trust me, I am not the Traitor.
badge
For Orcs there is no other life but WAR!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like your daughter would enjoy the Redwall books very much. My parents read them to me as a kid and I still remember them to this day they are some of my favorite books to go back to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bennett
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is awesome to hear. I actually just bought this today so I could play this with my 6 year old son. Hearing your experience has me excited to play this game with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Catterson II
United States
quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
I also had a 6 year old step-son and a 11 year old step-daughter and we have family game night once a week. I can never seem to find a game that they can really agree on that they both will like. And my wife isn't really in to the fantisy dungeon crawl games like Descent, Descent2nd edition, or any of the D&D games LoD,WoA,etc... So I've really been searching for a game that we can all enjoy. I think I'm gonna give this one a try. Hopefully this is the answer to my prayers to get the whole family involved in a genre of games that i grew up playing as a kid myself! Wish me luck!

Catdaddy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Channell
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck. It worked a treat for me, now my wife plays A LOT more board games with me.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.