Saints in Armor» Forums » Rules

Subject: Grazing fire question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, bear with me on this. I don't have hipshot's awesome pic to help.

I have an arty battery with a 6 grazing range. It is upslope of a gentle slope that is 2 hexes away. It is firing downslope at a target(C) 6 hexes away. 2 enemy units (A and B) are between the battery and the gentle downslope along the grazing LOF to the 6 hex target. Can the arty battery fire at the distant target and get grazing fire on the 2 closer units in LOF?

Or is arty fire either normal or grazing? So, if I wanted to shoot grazing fire I would have to target the furthest unit before the gentle downslope (Unit B)?

I guess I don't understand what grazing fire represents. Cannonballs bouncing through the ranks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hull
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
boyinblue1 wrote:

I have an arty battery with a 6 grazing range. It is upslope of a gentle slope that is 2 hexes away. It is firing downslope at a target(C) 6 hexes away. 2 enemy units (A and B) are between the battery and the gentle downslope along the grazing LOF to the 6 hex target. Can the arty battery fire at the distant target and get grazing fire on the 2 closer units in LOF?

Or is arty fire either normal or grazing? So, if I wanted to shoot grazing fire I would have to target the furthest unit before the gentle downslope (Unit B)?

I guess I don't understand what grazing fire represents. Cannonballs bouncing through the ranks?

Grazing fire represents the apex of the trajectory not going above 2m, so along the line of fire it would be effective the entire distance, to include the bounce.

The slope negates the grazing fire effect. So in the example you could hit the 2 enemy units (A and B) before the slope, but not the distant unit.

On level ground you can hit all units in the line of fire within the grazing range OR fire a one hex at a longer distance. The longer range is hit by elevating the muzzle of the cannon. This then sends the ball over the intervening hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benhull wrote:
boyinblue1 wrote:

Grazing fire represents the apex of the trajectory not going above 2m, so along the line of fire it would be effective the entire distance, to include the bounce.

The slope negates the grazing fire effect. So in the example you could hit the 2 enemy units (A and B) before the slope, but not the distant unit.

On level ground you can hit all units in the line of fire within the grazing range OR fire a one hex at a longer distance. The longer range is hit by elevating the muzzle of the cannon. This then sends the ball over the intervening hexes.

Thanks, Ben! Well, you can blame
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
for turning me on to this game, because I am infamous for asking stupid questions.

Can an artillery unit choose between grazing or normal arty fire? Could the arty unit in this example ignore the closer grazing targets and shoot at Unit C?

Never mind, you just answered me. You can choose. But in this case, the A and B units might block the LOS for the arty battery, so only a 2 hex grazing shot would be possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.