3 Posts

Atlantis Rising» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First play: 2 experienced gamers and 1 complete newbie rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Neises
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
On vacation with my wife and her parents. Decided to break out Atlantis to play with my wife and her mother with the prophetic words, "I've heard it's a hard one to win".

SET UP
Set up of the game was very easy, in fact the instructions were so good, the comment was made "this is better than a puzzle" while putting together the game board. The walk through of the order of play was very easy and clear to understand. What was unclear was how do we actually complete the "device" that saves Atlantis? We decided to just jump in and learn by doing.

GAME PLAY
The board is very well laid out, and anyone who has played a worker placement game, or even Settlers should be able to decipher the actions on each tile and get playing quickly. Mom didn't quite know how to proceed with some of the actions not realizing that you must first acquire (ore) the black cubes before converting them to (atlantium) the grey cubes. However, after about 5 turns it all made sense, and the second play through should be fine.

A FEW TURNS IN
After playing a few rounds we basically decided to completely allow a few sections of the island to flood. Poor decision. We basically abandoned the idea of gaining 'knowledge' cards for later actions because we were so focused on the resource collecting. This I think proved to be a bad choice, but ignorance was bliss for at least 5 minutes before we realized our terrible mistake and then had to live with it the rest of the game.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN HALF THE BOARD FLOODS?
I hate the flooding cards and the army attacking that makes the tiles flood! Seriously, I don't know how you are supposed to collect enough resources to complete the projects you need to save the day in the time you have before the island sinks. There is no quick road to victory in this game as far as I can tell. I think you have to grind it out with everyone investing first in extra workers, and then in knowledge cards. Then using these resources, keep the rest of the island from flooding so you can collect resources.

PLAYER POWERS
There are some great player powers that each one has as their character, and I think they could make a big difference if chosen well. We though we picked well, but after the game realized we would have preferred a few of the other characters. Advice: choose wisely!

END GAME
It came quick! The island was getting pretty small, and in one attack of the Athenian navy our island sunk to a single tile. At this point we only had 2/10 of the parts of the device. On the very last turn we were able to salvage our dignity and purchase 3 extra pieces through every trick of the mystic energy we possessed (use these wisely when playing!), and were able to at least tell ourselves that we got half way there before dying. This game is HARD!

LOOKING FORWARD
We left the game set up on the table for the next day because everyone wanted to play again. I think that sums it up for me. Atlantis is a game that will trash you and make you want to come back for more. It's like a dysfunctional relationship; it's going to be better the next time! I can't wait to dive in and try to beat those stupid floods

FINAL THOUGHTS
This is the best cooperative game I've played. There was no easy group consensus on how to move forward. There were no obvious choices. It was hard, and each person was working on their own part, but getting feedback from the group. It even allowed you to be a bit rogue if you want to. This is going to be a great game night game for deep strategy, and it's also going to be a great gateway game to induct newer games who can learn about resource management with help that doesn't weaken the game, it strengthens it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mb
Thanks for the kind words Brian - keep at it, Atlantis will yet Rise!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Nebesnik
United States
Bloomville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has been on my list for a while. I love the coop games that knock you around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.