Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Meaning for 1-4 players, what modifications are made to keep the game balanced and fun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- With more players you need more food as you have to feed every member of the team.
- with more players the costs for building sheter/roof/palisade are higher
- As long as your morale is high you get determination tokens each round. But only the startplayer gets them so the amount of tokens is the same for each number of players wich makes it a bit harder with more players.
- with 1 or 2 players you are allowed to play with some kind of dummy player which don't count as full players but give you some extra actions.
- With 4 players one action is weakened so it is more efford to keep the morale high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mks
Poland
Loguivy
Côtes d'Armor, Bretagne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as above - there are mechanisms to make the game scale.
that being said I get an impression (after 15 games or so) that it is easier to win if playing with more players.
is there anyone else with similar experience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spadovsky wrote:
as above - there are mechanisms to make the game scale.
that being said I get an impression (after 15 games or so) that it is easier to win if playing with more players.
is there anyone else with similar experience?

This mirrors my experience as well.
TK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not a big issue.... I'd think a co-op game would be more social and winning (a bit) easier is a bonus. Solitaire, it should be difficult!

Thanks for the responses, this game is firmly on my radar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Just do it !
badge
Enjoy Life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Solitaire, it should be difficult!

Thanks for the responses, this game is firmly on my radar

On the contrary!!
I´ve experienced different: Solo you don´t have to worry about food and morale.... Friday and Dog help you accomplish almost everything - I´ve playtested maybe 40 games - winning was easier solo or 2-player than with 3 or 4...
Marion (for the record: it´s my NR. 1 game!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Masson
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it all depends on the scenario.

Rescue Jenny I think favors less players (less worry about food, more efort in scenario goals)

Robinson Family I think favors more people as you have more actions to build all the items, some of which can give you more food.

But overall I don't think it really makes it unbalanced. Anyways, there is even a mechanic to make scenarios easier or harder if you are having issues.

1. Add dog in 2 player game or dog and-or Friday in 3 or 4 player game (dog and Friday are already in 1 player game and Friday already in 2 player game. More actions without needing to feed them)

2. Include more or less "book icon" event cards that usually trigger scenario specific nasty things that happen. For example I always include more book icon cards in cursed island scenario, which make an evil mist that covers island tiles, because my group can beat this scenario way too easily without them.

To answer your question, yes, it does scale very very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.