Subject: Waterloo Kitchener Cambridge Guelph Wargaming? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Poile
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
Hi everyone. I'm new to this site and these types of games, but I'd like to learn. Anyone interested in getting together?

Games I'm interested in playing:

Twighlight Imperium
Game of Thrones
Conquest of Empire
Diplomacy
... or anything else, really. Euro-games of course.

Also, are there game nights at local shops? (I haven't found any in Waterloo)

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Monterroso
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
If you are not having fun, then you are missing the point.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Waterloo/Kitchener Gaming?
Quote:
Euro-games of course

I haven't found any groups either, but I haven't looked that hard.
I would also be interested in this information, mostly in Waterloo but Kitchener/Guelph/Cambridge might work, too.

I'm much more interested in Euro-games than in Wargames, though.

I would be surprised if UW didn't have some sort of semi-regular meeting. When I was there, there were daily games in the comfy lounge, but that was before the Euro craze began.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Mackey
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kurisu wrote:

Twighlight Imperium
Game of Thrones
Conquest of Empire
Diplomacy
... or anything else, really. Euro-games of course.

Cheers.

I am moving to South Kitchener in the June/July timeframe. Just waiting for a house to get built. Mostly any Euro/wargame will do, but wargames of more than 3-4 hours are tricky to schedule.

I was planning to start/join some regular group upon arrival.

I currently live in North Mississauga, so chance to organize something before I move is also very possible. My current open game night is Mondays in Brampton which would be about 40 minutes from Townline and 401 in Cambridge if you are interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I'll be moving to the area as well sometime between June and September. I'm definitely interested in getting involved in a regular session once I'm out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Kennedy
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too will be moving to the K-W area in late summer or early fall. I play wargames and euros of all types.

It sounds like we have the makings of our own group by the end of the summer! Who needs locals?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Galloway
Canada
Lansdowne
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a few local game nights I know of: Hamilton's Bayshore Hobbies has one every month, and Brantford's Coohoo's Toys will be running game nights soon too!

If you start your own game night, please post to let us know! (I'm in Hamilton, but not afraid of a little driving.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Connor
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
Hi All,

As for stores, J&J Hobbies on Weber St. in Waterloo has a huge selection of games.

Groups? Good luck...

Wargames and miniatures (and not just GW), you might have more luck. Hotlead Miniatures Convention in Stratford (March 2006-see Hotlead.ca) is a good place to start.

Drop me a line if you're interested in Wargames and miniatures...

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
conn1835 wrote:
As for stores, J&J Hobbies on Weber St. in Waterloo has a huge selection of games.

Great selection, and good prices as well. I was there for the first time last month, and was greatly impressed. They will be getting my business when I get out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pieters
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, J&J's already gets a bunch of mine. I've known the guys there for years, as I used to collect sports cards. Nasty hobby, much like collectible card games.
-> germangames.com (local to K-W) gets the rest of my business.

Welcome to the area, once you arrive! Hamilton & Brantford -- both are about 40-50 minutes away; less from Cambridge. I guess with me having kids, I just don't get a gap of time big enough to afford 1 1/2 hours of driving, above & beyond the gaming.

I'll admit that I've never tried war-gaming, but I also have very little desire to do so. I enjoy 2-player (or 3-player) games with my wife or kids, but I'd much rather play with larger crowds otherwise; usually 4+.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Lang
Canada
Wellesley
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm in the K/W area and have gaming nights about once a month. Lately it's been a little less with an explosion of children in the families (but we're getting that wiped up soon) but we're trying to get the group going again.

I thought that maybe finding more people would make sure we always had enough attendees to make it worthwhile.

Previously we just rotated who held the gaming night at their house, but if people know of a location to get together, I'm very interested in attending and can probably get a few others coming out as well.

My collection can be viewed here, I'm generally up for anything (preferably Euro-style games though)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/viewcollection.php3?username=Ki...

Oh, I'd also like to heap some praise on J&J. The selection is amazing, the prices are unbelievable, and if they don't have what you want they'll special order it for you. (Though that can take some time.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris,
I live outside of Barrie. Keep me posted on what you plan and when. If I can make it, I will. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Mackey
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I have my move date, June 14th. Things will take a week or two to settle in. What nights are good for people if we want to start a new night? How about Friday nights? I could probably volunteer to start the ball rolling. Lets get this thing going...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Lang
Canada
Wellesley
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Friday nights work for me, anyway.

Were you thinking this would be a once-a-month kind of thing? You can send me a GeekMail if you want and I'll give you my contact information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Rainer
Canada
Nanaimo
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I know that www.germangames.com is headquartered in Kitchener... it may be worth emailing them to find out about some game groups and contact people!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Lang
Canada
Wellesley
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
krainer wrote:

I know that www.germangames.com is headquartered in Kitchener... it may be worth emailing them to find out about some game groups and contact people!

What suprises me is the size of J&J and they don't have any gaming tables.

If I had my way, I'd probably move those party supplies out of the corner and put a couple of tables in there. Make sure you don't end up with the foul-mouthed CCG teenagers and you'd have an excellent way of getting walk-ins interested in the rather substantial game selection they have available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Morgan
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually have a group of friends over and run a boardgame every friday night at my house. Always looking for a person or two to play. If someone had a bigger house/gaming table I could bring some friends to play TI3. I also have a 9 player fan made AGOT thats fun to play. I run a boardgame on Tuesday nights every 2-3 weeks at Phoenix Games and Hobbies(used to be Nexas Games) on 86 queen st. south Been playing and teaching AGOT. Usually we only have been getting myself,the owner and 1 other person. The shop seems to be 90% warhammer. Games we usually play are:
AGOT
Warrior Knights
Dune
Struggle of empires
Fury of Dracula
Samurai Swords
LOTR Risk
Fortress America(never lost a game yet )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Lang
Canada
Wellesley
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I thought Phoenix Games (used to be Nexus Games?) was purely Warhammer. Good to know they have tables there. Is the boardgaming kind of regular? Is it invite only? Just curious how that's set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Morgan
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well as I said its 90% warhammer. I put up a sign up sheet every 2-3 weeks. Anyone is welcome to stop into the store and sign up or ask Bill the owner about the game and sign up with him. Next one I believe is Tues June 13th and runs from 6-830ish. We play on one of the green warhammer tables(without the terrain and trees and such )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Monterroso
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
If you are not having fun, then you are missing the point.
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that there are a lot of people here who would be interested in getting something regular together. Has anything been organized?

Unfortunately for me, I have a 6-week-old and a 2-year-old at home, so organizing is a little much for me right now. Otherwise, this would be something that I would definitely get rolling. Maybe I can try again in the future.

In case someone else is getting the ball rolling, I will throw in my availability - Tuesdays and Thursdays after 8:30pm are best. Fridays would be a possibility, but with less probability of attendance. My regular group gets together on random Fridays, but that's more of a light fillers and party games, with the occassional Euro.

If nothing happens now, I will see how things are shaping up late in the year and maybe try to get something started.

PS. My praises go to J&J Cards And Collectibles as well. I have talked to Jason about the possibility of them hosting something, and while he has expressed some interest, he said that they aren't quite in the position to set it up. I mentioned that I would help organizing, but not in the immediate time frame. Same as above - maybe in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Haag
Canada
Kitchener/Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in KW, and have a large euro-game collection, along with some more complex american style games (and even a few card-driven wargames). I'd quite like to get together with a group to play a longer american style game, as I have some I've never played and would like to learn (Age of Renaissance, for example), and others I'd like to get more playtime out of: Twilight Imperium, Dune, Civilization (not Advanced), Dutch Revolt, Republic of Rome, Die Macher, Indonesia.

I could do the odd Tuesday or Thursday, or perhaps Sunday afternoon (this latter might work best for the longer games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Haag
Canada
Kitchener/Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bighab wrote:
Anyone is welcome to stop into the store and sign up or ask Bill the owner about the game and sign up with him.

Is Bill willing to regularly give over a table or two to "open gaming" one night a week that's not Warhammer? If he does, then it could be used as a regular meeting point for people in this forum...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Morgan
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he would. Stop in and sign up for the AGOT game on June13th and ask him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Haag
Canada
Kitchener/Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey James,

I signed up for the AGoT game, and did ask Bill -- he seemed open and happy to consider the notion of having a few tables reserved for boardgames on an open boardgaming night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found out that I will be moving to Waterloo come the fall, so add me to the list of people that 'want to play games'. I've been moving to heavier and heavier games over the last year, and have been playing a lot of 18xx games lately. However, I'm more than happy to play Euros, even relatively light ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kovac
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Re: Waterloo Kitchener Cambridge Guelph Wargaming? - A Reply

If you work in or around Brampton the Comic Warehouse at Dixe Road and Steeles has a great Boardgame Night Every Monday. They have lots of Euros and sell them at great prices as well. You can choose from the owners game collection what to play and he has at least 200-300 games. Game nights start at 6:00 p.m. and go till around Midnight.

Chris Kovac
Toronto, Canada

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.