Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
But there will be some serious teaching involved trying to explain her the games I have as much as I know since Some of the games I can't figure out by myself when I play solo. Lots of games are in english and my girlfriend is Israeli (because I live in Israel) and there will be lots of game text on the cards and on the board that she's not going to understand. Teaching her my games is NOT going to be easy. Does anyone have any tips on how to make learning games simple to someone that isn't an American or from UK? Does it depend on the game itself? I will tell you what I have

Pandemic
Doom
Last Night on Earth
Dungeon Twister
Formula D
Road Kill Rally
Rush n Crush
Risk 2210
Qwirkle
Blokus
Lord of the Rings LCG
Ingenious Challenges
Monopoly; Star Wars

and two kid frendly games
LIFE
Sorry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Find a game with no text, or little text. Troyes, Village, Castles of Burgundy, Jaipur, Battle Line, Agricola: ACBaS, etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Find a game with no text, or little text. Troyes, Village, Castles of Burgundy, Jaipur, Battle Line, Agricola: ACBaS, etc

...and don't start with Doom.

I wish you luck and hope the two of you have fun. I got my wife (somewhat) into games through Operation and Pac-Man. Now I can get her to play Tokaido.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Pengelly
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Valdora, absolutely no in game text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Zutic
Serbia
Belgrade
New Belgrade
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

from the games that you have, and since English is a problem , I would suggest that you start with Qwirkle or Blokus, maybe Pandemic on easiest level.

But to be honest, as I try to play games with my wife, from your list we have played Qwirkle, she "might" try Pandemic (as she is biologist and might see some distant relation with the game ) but she would not even glance at any other game that you have ... they are either way too masculine gulp, or they are monopoly devil.

If you are interested in investing some more money in language interdependent game I would strongly suggest Stone Age, as it is completely language independent, easy to teach and play and nice looking.

Brgds
Boris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know most of those...
Boardgamefreak2geek wrote:
Dungeon Twister
Is that like regular Twister but with chains and a dungeon master? devil

From your selection I'd probably go with Qwirkle or Blokus. Both have not necessary ingame text so that should help your GF to understand it. As a first game I'd also avoid anything whith tons of stuff on the board.

If she's receptive you could try Pandemic on a later round. Aside from the 5 or so event cards there's only the city names which should not pose much of a problem.

I seem to remember reading threads from you about having troubles getting boardgames in Israel so I'm not going to suggest new games at this point. As for teaching games: The most helpful pointer I can give you is to know the game rules by heart. Teaching a game is significantly easier and more enjoyable for both if don't have to refer to a rule book. Especially if the rule book's in a different language.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
Co-operative games will help with the lack of English, since it doesn't matter if you see her cards and help with the text, so Pandemic could be a good starting point. Blokus and Qwirkle could also work but maybe the theme in Pandemic will be more involving for a new player than abstract tile laying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Stone Age is a great suggestion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll echo the suggestion to start with Pandemic ... that is, if you're limited to the games you currently own.

You might also want to get a copy of Ticket to Ride or Carcassonne ... both of those are considered to be gateway games, and they are pretty language friendly if you can teach the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
I'll echo the suggestion to start with Pandemic ... that is, if you're limited to the games you currently own.

You might also want to get a copy of Ticket to Ride or Carcassonne ... both of those are considered to be gateway games, and they are pretty language friendly if you can teach the rules.

Second Ticket to Ride and Ticket to Ride: Europe. However, these aren't really good with just 2 players.

Pandemic and Forbidden Island are great, since they are non-combative.

Another great couples game is Lost Cities, and this game is DEFINITELY language independent. Morels is also another relaxing 2P game which is easy to teach and play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david zammit
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
i recently brought my wife into the world of board games so far she is awesome at ticket to ride and really enjoys the strategy and i also introduced her to settlers of catan (which when she looked at it set up thought it was really nerdy and said she wouldn't like it) but now she knows how to play and has asked to get it back on the table.

baby steps is the key i think, this Saturday will be interesting as i am making my whole family (12 people) play wits and wagers, say anything and werewolves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chanan Siegel
Israel
ramat beit shemesh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Blokus is a fun game, and you dont need to be able too read
to play it. So why not start with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on getting a girlfriend--you aren't just speaking hypothetically are you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon miles
United Kingdom
liverpool
merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest Takenoko, I mean look at this cover!,surely it was designed to rope female gamer's in and its also an excellent game with lovely components, and its language independent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Austin
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I know it seems obvious, but I'd just suggest you start off on the easiest games, and work from there.

Teaching a game is so much easier when you can refer to similar mechanics in other games.... e.g. Each turn, you get to do 4 actions, these can be various actions....just like in Pandemic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doom is actually very simple ruleswise, I can teach it in a couple of minutes. That said, it is very hard, and the marine player (ie: non-Overlord/GM) only wins something like 20-25%, rising to 40% when you are really good.

Definitely not one to start her on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Gagnon
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Graphic Designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend's favorite game is Dominion and she's really not into boardgame.

It's easy to teach and I don't know why but every girls I know loves this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arjen Schouten
Netherlands
Veenendaal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kind of in the same situation as you, except that my wife is Brazilian. She speaks English, but doesn't understand everything. She's also a non-gamer, so she doesn't have the "feel" for games. That said, she enjoys playing the games, and I see she slowly starts to get a "gaming" mind.

The advice to not start with Doom really depends on your girlfriend. Does she like the theme? The mechanics are not so difficult, but non-gamers are on a completely different level than us. So my advice is to start with a family-friendly game. Maybe Pandemic is a good choice. The rest of the games on your list are less family-friendly for as far as I can see.

Also take it slowly. See what she likes and go to the more heavy games later.

I started out with Catan, one of the few games that have a Brazilian version. First three games she just did as I did. Later she started beating me. We played some more relatively familiy-friendly games... But I really wanted to get heavier. So at the moment I'm trying to play Descent with her and her brother. Unfortunately this proves to be a bit too much maybe. It's not that she doesn't understand the rules, but because indeed everything is in English (still have to print some portuguese translated cards) and there are so many things to keep in mind when playing: How to play tactical with your character's abilities, etc. I ended up giving them tactical advice all the time, which for me as Overlord spoils the game. All I can do now is hope they'll learn on their own during the next few plays.

It's like you'd put a person who doesn't know how to drive in a car for the first time. For the instructor it's easy because he knows all the "rules" and "tactics", but he constantly has to help and give advice to the new person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had some recent success with Ticket to Ride and Africana. Both only use the names of cities, so that shouldn't be a problem. Thurns & Taxis may be a decent option too, though my girlfriend did not like that one as much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Gagnon
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Graphic Designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket To Ride is a great suggestion, my girlfriend really like it too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic is good because (1) there isn't MUCH text and (2) it is co-op, so she can play open hand until she gets the hang of it.

Formula D is good because (1) no text and (2) everyone understands auto racing, conceptually.

Ticket To Ride is good as there is virtually no text.

Carcassone is another good "no text" game.

Also, the various "10 Days in..." games (USA, Asia, Europe, etc..) are good and light and a new hotness in our house.

Ghost Stories has very little text as well. Also co-op.

Last Night on Earth is one of my all time faves, but, I am not sure if I would use it as a gateway game for her. Lots of text.

also, the title of this thread instantly made me think of this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D B
msg tools
In my experience people pick games up pretty quickly -- most games -- if you start by playing a mock game where you and her are the same virtual player, followed by one more mock game where she tries herself and you give advice. Usually that's enough in my experience, even if they're not big gamers, and they'll be able to pick things up faster than you'd expext.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.