Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
What's the difference between a LCG and a deck building game?

I really enjoy my LotR LCG game, would I love this game as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
With a deck-building game, each player starts with the same weak deck as everyone else and you acquire new cards to make it better. You won't always see the same cards every game so every game plays out differently. Hardly any set-up time required. Typically best with 3 or more players.

With a LCG/TCG, you build your deck before you start playing, then face off against your opponents. The cards you play with are entirely decided by you before playing. Though you never know what your opponent will be playing. Typically best 1 on 1.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgamefreak2geek wrote:

I really enjoy my LotR LCG game, would I love this game as well?

Probably. It fills a different niche. While in the LCG game a lot of work is placed prior to playing as you build the deck, the DBG does not require any of that. Just open the game and start playing. The rules are simple and the set up and tear down time is almost negligible. You can easily play it with gamers and nongamers alike. I played it once with my son and my nephew and it left a great impression.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The pen is mightier than a really small, blunt, and foam covered sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Hyra wrote:
With a deck-building game, each player starts with the same weak deck as everyone else and you acquire new cards to make it better. You won't always see the same cards every game so every game plays out differently. Hardly any set-up time required. Typically best with 3 or more players.

With a LCG/TCG, you build your deck before you start playing, then face off against your opponents. The cards you play with are entirely decided by you before playing. Though you never know what your opponent will be playing. Typically best 1 on 1.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D

Except The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game is not a competitive game and the set up is quite minimal. Your opponent is the encounter deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Geek Scribe wrote:
Except The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game is not a competitive game and the set up is quite minimal. Your opponent is the encounter deck.

Right, yeah. Figured since he owns it he would know. Was kind of generalizing between LCG and TCG for others who might be reading and not familiar with LCGs.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geek Scribe wrote:
Matt Hyra wrote:

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D

I consider the opposite. Set up in LOTR LCG is much more involved as it requires building the decks ahead of time. LOTR DBG's set up is substantially less involved. It is essentially - open the box and play. The rules are a lot easier to pick up and learn. It works much better than the LCG when playing with casual gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
The lotr lcg much more serious game. This game is much more casual.
But i like the game: fun, easy, and rules also nice.
But this game will become boring very quick since if you compare it to Lotr lcg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glen.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus it looks like it has a lot of it's basis in the movies -- which is fun, but the theme in the LCG is better, as far as I'm concerned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
This looks like a LotR themed Ascension: Deckbuilding Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
This looks like a LotR themed Ascension: Deckbuilding Game

It is actually a lot of fun when you actually play it. The theme is actually better in the deck building game because it is proper LOTR and the LCG is the time between the Hobbit and LOTR making the imagined depiction of some characters questionable while other characters are just plain made up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James

Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My deciding factor... love my family and love the lord of the rings... family not into gaming like I am, and the LCG gets too deep, with scenarios, expansions, new cards etc... This game is awesome to play from the box, and my family loves it...

I get to have my cake and eat it to with this one... actually pulled it out at a house party with non gamers, non LOTR fans, and they love it... great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Masterson
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have been playing ccgs for years, but found the concepts of the lcg too complex to both learn and teach my wife. Sadly i discovered this AFTER buying the base game and 3 expansions.
Picked up the DBG and we have already played 5-6 games and we are quite happy with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.