The Walking Dead Board Game: The Best Defense» Forums » General

Subject: New rules with the old game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Libby
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading the overview on this site, it seems that many mechanisms from the older Walking Dead game from Cryptozoic are carried over to this game (how zombie encounters are resolved, etc). Is it possible that the rules to this game could be incorporated in the older game? There are four "checkpoints" to reach in the Walking Dead board game, and there are four points to defend in The Best Defense. I would love to play the original board game as more of a co-op game, as the competitive nature was my biggest problem with the game.
The show and comic feature a group who fight often, but are still a group that work together to stay alive. A co-op game would fit the franchise better, I believe.

So, Cryptozoic, could the rules and gameplay for The Best Defense potentially be integrated into the original game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
The Best Defense is so different from the first season game that you would be better off just doing a custom mod of the first game instead.
Someone has already done a custom remake/expansion of the first game and posted all the goodies here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/962130/free-unofficial-b...

In The Best Defense, the Encounters (called Events in game 2) are not resolved like in the first game at all. The Locations in The Best Defense are not checkpoints. You can go there if you want to acquire the gear that Location provides and to keep the Walkers away from the area. It's not a race and you don't roll dice to move.

Wait til the game comes out and you might find some ways to integrate the new cards into the old game.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a big TWD fan I'm looking forward to this themed game. But is it a stand alone or exapnsion?

I guess relaease will coincide with series 4 in autumn 2013?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Achtung_Panzer10 wrote:
As a big TWD fan I'm looking forward to this themed game. But is it a stand alone or exapnsion?

I guess relaease will coincide with series 4 in autumn 2013?

It's a standalone and not an expansion at all.
It's a completely different game and a completely different play experience.
Plus, The Best Defense is 100% Co-operative. Unless you play with the Ulterior Motive cards, and then it's only about 95% co-op.

Yes, the release should hit when Season 4 starts up.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that's my appatite whetted and 1 certain purchase!

Thanks for the reply Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Matt, any chance of you posting some more info on this game to get the hype wagon started?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Sure, I can tease a little more info:

Components
100 Resource Cards
4 Oversized Location Tiles
48 Event Cards
9 Ulterior Motive Cards
70+ Game Tokens
3 White Six-sided Dice
1 Black Three-sided Die
6 Oversized Character Cards
6 Character Pawns w/ bases
1 Round Track Board and Token
1 Rulebook

Object of the Game
Survive through 12 rounds of play while protecting each of your four 25-card Resource decks. If any Resource deck completely runs out of cards before 12 rounds of play are over, all players immediately lose the game! However, if the players successfully protect the cards in the Resource decks through 12 rounds of play, all players win the game.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Star
msg tools
mbmbmb
Any word on the release date? Can I guess correctly it will coincide with the debut of the new season in October?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
starOdavid wrote:
Any word on the release date? Can I guess correctly it will coincide with the debut of the new season in October?

That is correct.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Thornton
Australia
Edgeworth
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pre-ordered!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Cheung
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
what are you in the mood for today?
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a chance to play this game recently and both my wife and I enjoyed it. The Cryptozoic rep did not have time to learn the game before hand so we were taught by a guy who had only played it once before. (I have not played the other Walking Dead game by Cryptozoic)

here's a quick recap:

The co-op element is thematic. We really liked the locations decks as "hit points". ie. the zombies attack at the end of a round. They attack characters if there are any in the same location. If there are no characters in the same location, then the zombies force the players to discard from the location deck.

We also liked the shooting mechanic where each gun is rated by "number of dice". When you shoot a shotgun, you get to roll 3d6. Any multiple of "5" from the total of your dice will kill a zombie. ie. if you roll a total of 12 from 3 dice, then 2 zombies are killed. The remainder (in this example, the remainder is "2") is kept at that location where any other character that also shoots can add their total dice pips to the remainder in the same location. This adds a nice touch of co-ordinated attacks from multiple players.

The 1st player rule where he/she gets to use his/her leadership ability is pretty cool. Also, as "leader", the player gets to decide where to place all the characters. Then, on each players's individual turns, they can take their turn at the chosen location or they can choose to "defy" the leader by paying 1 food token and move to a location they prefer. Food can also be spent at the end of a round to heal 1 point of damage.

Lastly, the fact that all of the 4 decks seem important, there is this tense atmosphere of needing to run to all 4 locations to gather either equipment, food, ammo, or allies. Allies are used to modify pips on your rolls. At the same time, you do not want to scavenge too heavily because if 1 deck is depleted of cards, you lose the game.

Overall, the game is pretty quick. Its fun, thematic and I think I will pick this up when it gets released.

- One thing that bugged us though was the trading rules. Now the guy who taught us had only played once before so its possible we got this rule wrong. We played it where you can trade items to any player regardless of what location you were in. It is possible (and perhaps more thematic) that you can only trade to players in the same location that you are in. I didn't get a look at the rulebook so I cannot confirm this either way.

Les

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave James

La Palma
California
msg tools
mb
Against my better judgement (And negative reviews), I purchased the first Walking Dead board game by Cryptozoic. I always play solo and it seemed like a good idea at the time and throwing caution to the wind, to at least try it out. I hope this version doesn't disappoint as much as the first game did. You know the old saying: Once bitten, twice shy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just wondering what the length of a game was and how long I can expect my first game to take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Cheung
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
what are you in the mood for today?
mbmbmbmbmb
the game I played was about 2 hours. 3 newbs, and 1 player who had only played it once before.

Les

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Yamaguchi
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only trade to people at the same location.

CZE Tester
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.