Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donnie Williams
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to be negative, but did the races have to be the standard fantasy tropes in space? It's too much like 40K. Is it too late to change them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dérek Boily
Canada
Québec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My bet is that with the amount of art and lore already done, the basic characters (wich seems to be quite fundamental for the game) are likely to stay this way...

And I like them... What's so wrong with them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fox
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Christopher from GTG talks about this on the new episode of The Little Metal Dog Show. Just uploading it now - and yeah, I see no problem with them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vegabond wrote:
I don't want to be negative, but did the races have to be the standard fantasy tropes in space?

Because there are no sci fi racial tropes, that aren't under copyright.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Booth
United States
California
flag msg tools
I think it's a surprise that the races are fantasy standards, but it's not a problem. If they'd told us the game was a space-fantasy game from the beginning, I doubt anyone would mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
Because there are no sci fi racial tropes, that aren't under copyright.

I wouldn't say that. Most of the copyrighted races can be boiled down to their basics without running afoul of copyright law.

You can have mindless hive-based aliens who just want to eat your flesh.

The standard proud warrior race, mired in ancient tradition.

Roswell Greys.

The highly advanced, peaceful, meditative race who view us as children (bonus points if they have a deadly and violent nature which they suppress).

Some kind of AI or Robot race.

Parasites that take control of their host.

Theres probably more (hunter aliens, the standard anthropomorphic animals etc) but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

But that aside, I don't mind the fantasy races transplanted into space. It's interesting enough (plus space dwarfs are totally rad).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.