Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Alonzo
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested in purchasing this game. I never play any of my games as 2 players. We typically play between 4 and 8 player games.

I am willing to purchase 2 core box sets in order to enable the 4 player correctly (I am so not going to write threat down on a piece of scratch paper for 2 players, while the other 2 use a themed counter).

My question is when I purchase expansion sets, do I have to buy 2 of each in order to properly play with 4 players? I dont want to be gimped when having friends over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it depends how you are playing.

You won't need it for the Hero's at least since you can't double them up.

If everyone is playing a monosphere deck then no, there would be no reason to buy more than 1 (except maybe for the neutral cards). However if you are going to start making dual sphere decks then there will be cards you will probably want in more decks.

My recommendation would be to just proxy what you need/want more of. With 2 cores you'll have plenty of cards you don't actually want in your decks, so use them for proxy cards instead. Especially since you'll want more Gandalfs, Unexpected Courages, and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends.
If you plan on having mono color deck, with each player playing only one color, you can only buy only one of each pack. There are a few neutral cards that several players may wish for, but that shouldn't be too puch of a problem
If you wish to create two color decks, then overlap will be a problem.

Btw, for the threat counter, i recommand using a smartphone : there are (at least on Android) several free counter app. It's not themed, but at least it's less messy than a piece of paper and lesd expensive than a second core set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ksempac wrote:
It's not themed, but at least it's less messy than a piece of paper and lesd expensive than a second core set.

If you've got 4 regular players who are going to play the game long term, then the 2nd core set is going to be used a lot more than just for the threat tracker, you are going to want the extra cards too, just not all of them. It's a lot easier to justify than for solo or 2 player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Alonzo
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of the responses.

I think I am going to go with the 2 core box set. Want to do the game right, since I will probably always play the game with 4 players, and no less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Secaur
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Why wouldn't you just get one core set and then several expansions? Then, not only would you have more cards that you would need, you'd also have additional scenarios as well as additional heroes. I ask this not to give good advice necessarily, but because I'm kind of thinking about it myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Piratefarmers wrote:
Why wouldn't you just get one core set and then several expansions? Then, not only would you have more cards that you would need, you'd also have additional scenarios as well as additional heroes. I ask this not to give good advice necessarily, but because I'm kind of thinking about it myself.

Because they want 4 threat counters, not just 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos II
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Piratefarmers wrote:

Either approach is valid but consider the following ...

The Core Set doesn't have 3 copies of every card.
- Each Core Set has 4 Copies of 1 Player Card (i.e. Gandalf)
- Each Core Set has 3 Copies of 9 Player Cards
- Each Core Set has 2 Copies of 38 Player Cards
- Each Core Set has 1 Copy of 13 Player Cards

So if your goal is to reach 3 copies of each card (along with 1 copy of each hero) then this is what you get for each Core Set buy ...
1st Core Set (226): 12 Heroes + 120 Player Cards = 132
2nd Core Set (226): 38 Player Cards (3rd Copy) + 13 Player Cards (2nd Copy) = 51
3rd Core Set (226): 13 Player Cards (3rd Copy) = 13

For 1 player games: 1 coreset is sufficent, you might want a few extra copies of specific cards but that can be handled via proxy.

For 2 player games: 1 coreset should still be sufficient. Again, you can proxy the few cards you REALLY want to include but they should be few; there will be little to no overlap between decks.

For 3 player games: The argument for 1 or 2 coresets is about even. The extra threat counter is nice but not a huge deal since that aspect can be tracked in other ways. There will still be little overlap between decks but each deck will probably be monosphere or thematic which means there will be compelling reasons to have 3 copies of most cards. Yes, expansions have really cool cards but many of the core cards will always appear in your decks (i.e. they are *core* regardless of what you have available).

For 4 player games: Now the argument for 2 coresets is strong. Four threat counters is really useful. The four decks will require either 3 copies of each card or MORE. Certain cards you will want to include in more than one player's deck (ex. Northern Trackers, A Test of Will, Gandalf, Galadhrim's Greeting) so have 2 coresets will allow for this flexibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Alonzo
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2 core sets are working very well. I couldn't imagine inviting a couple over, and giving them a pad of paper to track threat, while my wife and I use the game counters. It was also necessary as we built our decks. If one player snagged 3 cards for their deck, and another player selected the same class, they would not have access to those cards.

There are plenty of cards we are not going to use, such as the second quest copies, and second encounter deck. What would be preferable is if FFG would create a 2 to 4 playr expansion for $14 which only includes the components that you will actually use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Field
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A third core set also gives you a total of six copies of cards like Galadhrim's Greeting, Test of Will, Feint, etc, so much more viable 4-player deck-building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.