Recommend
23 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

A Study in Emerald» Forums » General

Subject: :surprise: rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A game by Martin Wallace based on a Lovecraftian story by Neil Gaiman equals instant buy.

18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwerdtfeger
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly. The description of this one instantly pushed it to the very top of my want list.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my take. I don't like deck-building games very much (Dominion, Thunderstone ect...). I have mixed feelings about Wallace (more on this in a sec). I am not a huge fan of Cthulhu stuff but I find it fascinating and love the theme. I would probably love H.P. Lovecraft books if I read them. Neil Gaiman is also great but I'm not a huge fan, nor have I read a significant fraction of his work.

So I'm kind of on the fence waiting for more details. However, this prompted me to look at what Wallace has designed in detail and I do enjoy some of his games. I have also had horrible fun-killing experiences with others. The games I enjoyed to varying degrees are: Runebound, Tinners' Trail, London, Discworld: Ankh-Morpork, Tempus, and La Strada.

There is a plain text pdf of the rules available so perhaps a read through will help me figure this one out.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwerdtfeger
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBen wrote:
Here's my take. I don't like deck-building games very much (Dominion, Thunderstone ect...).


You might want to try the "next generation" of deck builders like Core Worlds or Wallace's Few Acres of Snow. I actually agree with you that the basic deck builders (Dominion, Thunderstone) have worn out their welcome with me. But, if used as a mechanic rather than as the game, they can be really good.

You and I don't necessarily agree on Wallace's best (although I do like Tinner's Trail and London quite a bit) so hard for me to give you advice on that one.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll admit...I'm not a fan of deck builders either, but Core Worlds is great. It "fixed" everything I didn't like about other deck builders.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
arcane220 wrote:
I'll admit...I'm not a fan of deck builders either, but Core Worlds is great. I "fixed" everything I didn't like about other deck builders.


I'm not fond of deck building either, so I'm hoping that the bidding and possibly other things take more presence than just deck building. Time to print out the rules (I've just printed and read the story—it would make an awesome RPG setting).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Flowood
MS
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I said a very similar thing about a game designed by Martin Wallace about Doctor Who. I suggest you wait for reviews.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just based on what was discovered after A Few Acres of Snow... I'm going to wait until some copies get in the hands of reviewers.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Deaddogdays wrote:
I said a very similar thing about a game designed by Martin Wallace about Doctor Who. I suggest you wait for reviews.


I happen to like the Doctor Who game. It's fun for what it is (light family card game).

However, this is better, because I don't have to wait for reviews—I've read the rules and will create a PnP pro type that I can play before actually backing the kickstarter. Just from reading the rules, it seems MUCH better (aka deeper, gamer's gamey) than Doctor Who.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:
A game by Martin Wallace based on a Lovecraftian story by Neil Gaiman equals instant buy.



With a bit of Sherlock Holmes thrown in.

A study in emerald is a brilliant short story which depicts cthulhu mythos in a Sherlock Holmes setting with a nasty twist at the end.

I really don't know how is Wallace going to pull this off.


I wish Wallace did American Gods instead. It would make a kickass deckbuilding game..... Not!

"I have 5 "American dollars" from all my cards, so I shall buy a "lowkey" card and put it into my discard pile"

"I play Wednesday and force you to trash a New Gods card from your discard pile. I think I see a "television idol" card in there. Please trash it"
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Waylander1 wrote:
JonBen wrote:
Here's my take. I don't like deck-building games very much (Dominion, Thunderstone ect...).


You might want to try the "next generation" of deck builders like Core Worlds or Wallace's Few Acres of Snow. I actually agree with you that the basic deck builders (Dominion, Thunderstone) have worn out their welcome with me. But, if used as a mechanic rather than as the game, they can be really good.

You and I don't necessarily agree on Wallace's best (although I do like Tinner's Trail and London quite a bit) so hard for me to give you advice on that one.


You make a good point about deck-builders vs. a deck building mechanic. I did enjoy the way Core Worlds did deck building. I like it in Mage Knight as well.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
Avatar
friedricetheman wrote:
tssfulk wrote:
A game by Martin Wallace based on a Lovecraftian story by Neil Gaiman equals instant buy.



With a bit of Sherlock Holmes thrown in.

I would say it's the other way around, but let's settle on 50/50
It was originally written for an anthology of Sherlock/Mythos stories.

For those who are not familiar with the story, here's wonderful PDF of the story, done as a thematic period newspaper with a few fun allusions to other tales. A Study in Emerald (Available on Gaiman's official website).

Gaiman has written a second story set in the same world: The Case of Death and Honey. It's available in several anthologies
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Scholes
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ori,

Thanks for the heads up about the second story. I looked it up and realized I own one of the anthologies. It is on my "to be read" shelves.

Rick
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Grange
New Zealand
New Plymouth
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this. It's awesome.

Highly recommend (FWIW).

Imma do a review as well when I get time.
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vIQleS wrote:
I've played this. It's awesome.

Highly recommend (FWIW).

Imma do a review as well when I get time.


Be careful there, you may have Wallace fans standing outside your door with pitchforks tonight chanting "We want a review! We are cult of the Wallace new!" Yours truly included.

Get on with the review already. Or better still, send me a playtest copy of this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's print and play, you can make a playtest copy yourself.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:
A game by Martin Wallace based on a Lovecraftian story by Neil Gaiman equals instant buy.



I just want to get my hands on anything that lets me return to that awesome world Gaiman created for his story.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
It's print and play, you can make a playtest copy yourself.


I don't feel like printing out anymore boardgames. Too much work. Better to spend that time playing Age of Industry or A Few Acres of Snow instead.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
hrhtomas wrote:
I just want to get my hands on anything that lets me return to that awesome world Gaiman created for his story.

[geekurl=http://www.chaosium.com/article.php?story_id=488]Cthulhu by Gaslight[/geekurl]
From long before Gaiman's story.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:
hrhtomas wrote:
I just want to get my hands on anything that lets me return to that awesome world Gaiman created for his story.

[geekurl=http://www.chaosium.com/article.php?story_id=488]Cthulhu by Gaslight[/geekurl]
From long before Gaiman's story.


The setting of A Study in Emerald...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
is not really Victorian England; that's the whole bloody point. Nothing is what it seems.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
friedricetheman wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
It's print and play, you can make a playtest copy yourself.


I don't feel like printing out anymore boardgames. Too much work. Better to spend that time playing Age of Industry or A Few Acres of Snow instead.
Pay someone else to...sorta like buying a boardgame.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The game DOES have deckbuilding and it's quite important for your strategic, but it's far from being the whole game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.