luis torres
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hello fellow COH gamers and hope you enjoy this session report as much as possible after all it was a intense firefight. My opponent was my brother who rolled to see which faction he would play as (house rule). We both stated odds hes Russian evens im German and I was anticipating playing as the germans this time around considering I have been the russians for the last 5 games, to my surprise I got the germans. YAY!

As usual we played with the wrecks and destruction rules and all the optional rules even variable hidden dice. My brother placed almost all of his units on our near the North-South road with his maxim mgs in the brick house hexes of E05 and F07, I thought to myself he must have anticapted a North-Eastern thrust from my attack. The rest of his rifle units were placed on the South-Western brick building and near the North-Eastern village, my guess was right it seems he wanted to play very aggresivly in the northern sections. To counter this I placed a few units to tie down some of his units then I could make a South-Eastern push towards the bottom and come up from his flanks.

I placed a few stacks on the L08 and M09 hexes wich put me out of his rifle units range at H08 which faces the North-Western direction. The rest of the LMG's and rifle units were placed in the northern sectore to lure some of his units out and tie them down. My two Pioneer units were placed at I06 and k07. My strategy was simple, it was to use the buildings as a natural way of covering my units path to the southern sector in combination with pioneer smoke placements. (I show this good in the picture).

White circles represent my planed smoke placement. Red is the building I wanted to start on fire. Yellow is russian placment and blue is german placement.

Turn 1
My whole goal for this round was to use my caps to move my poineers by placing smoke counters on the white circled spots of map 1. This was easily done with minimal return fire. The units were well trained and directed by frontline officers and achieved there objectives. My secondary goal was to preserve enough caps to move my stacked units on the M09 and L08 hexes so that way I can then activate them much closer to the enemys postions. This to was easily achieved as they moved quickly and worked in combination with the poineers to start the H08 brick building on fire (played the swift action card). This removed essentially the only defending unit near my southern advance.

The russians had some "apparent success" on the northern side as they were able to push my units westward while eliminating 1 rifle unit. The russians also fired on some of my units in the smoke hexes but the fire had little effect and the germans were able to move ever closer to the south west control marker and take it.

Turn 1 saw the russians make small gains in the north. The units there saw smoke rising from the buildings in the south, would they ingore this sign of trouble and continue there push west? This turn also saw many units coming dangerously close to eachother, a sign of desperate fighting to come? Only time will tell!

Turn 2
The russians won the initiative for this turn and continued there push in the north west. The russian rifle units faced heavy gunfire and they bravely charged enemy positions under heavy cordinated german LMG fire, many men died but the few that made it to the saftey of the I03 village area were able to supress some enemy LMG fire. This proved ineffective as german rifle units opposite the side of the village were pinning russian units in return and for this fact the russians could not push farther West. For awhile fighting the fighting here was sporadic with gunfire settling down.

The southern flank saw fierce hand to hand combat with units fighting to there last with bayonet charges and bloodly house to house fighting. The russians paid dearly for there territory as the german officers were ablet to direct there pioneer units to elimate heavily entrenched targets often resulting in whole russian units being elimated.

Russian mg fire proved very ineffective this round as german units were able to move into positions concealed by heavy smoke. This proved very frustrating to the russians as it was very difficult for them to make good use of there heavy weapons.

Although many setbacks hit the russians such as enemy sniper fire resulting in many officers being shot (sniper fire card) the few that remained were able to rally many stunned russian units (rally card). Turn 2 saw russian gains in the now North-West front but at what cost is to be asked by the russian high command. Its becoming very apparent that units are desperatly needed in the southern flank as many russian units still remain suppresed and entire units on the verge of being eliminated.

Turn 3
Russian reinforcments came in from two directions A08 and A04, but the russians need to decide how to use these units effectivly as they are running thin along the entire line with units in the far west slowly being pushed back by cordinated LMG and rifle fire. In the south the germans started to run low on fuel so with lMG units in the rear supporting the advancing german rifle units they were able to bypass russian pockets advancing on the D08 building with pioneers clearing mines as they advanced deeper into russian terriotry. The germans also called upon reserve rifle units to move in and lay down fire upon russian units and when heavy gunfire proved ineffective they readied there bayonets and charged strong enemy defensinve positions. The streets were covered in blood and screams as close quarters combat was engulfing entire units.

A russian unit was ablet to hold of 3 repeated german attempts at close quarters combat. The germans were tired and the smoke started to clear giving russian mg positions LOS to pioneer units being bogged down by mines. The fire almost proved deadly but german LMG fire was able to supress the russian machine gun fire. The russian mgs in return pulled out of there positions as german units quickly moved on their flanks. Russian sniper fire could be heard and stoped some units in there tracks (was using caps to group move units). The germans were well supplied and frontline officers were able to direct troops to important positions.

Meanwhile german pioneer units were laying down mines (lay mine card) in the B08 area to stop the russians from flanking them as they flew north to split the russians in two.

End of game
At this point my brother gave up and we discussed the game in detail going over what we could have done better. We both agreed that the russians should not push to much into the german side of the road as this spreads the russians way to thin. This battle is a huge blast and has all that you would expect from a infantry firefight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean halley

Oregon
msg tools
designer
mbmb
Luis,
Thanks for a great report. I you have encouraged me to play it again.

Dean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
luis torres
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I'm glad you enjoyed it! Bust out that game and give it a go! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan J.
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for a great report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
luis torres
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Much appreciated =).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.