Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Alonzo
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading reviews, checking out the FFG website, and watching videos about the game on Youtube, I figured I would give it a shot.

I purchased 2 core boxes, plus:

1 The Hobbit: Over Hill and Under Hill

1 The Hobbit: On the Doorstep

I wanted to start on the Mirkwood series, since its the first set of adventure packs, however, they really are not available, especially in order. I found 3 of them on Amazon, but I would like to play them in order, and the ones which are available are not Amazon Prime (so add $5 shipping on each).

I hope having 2 core boxes, plus the 2 Saga Expansions will get me off to a good start with the game for 4 players. Then, I can add the Mirkwood adventure packs as they become available.

Hope thats sounds about right to get into this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 Core Sets is a good thing, so you have enough Threat counters, tokens, and everything.

For the first few games, I would stay with the Core Sets and only look into the Hobbit expansions after you have a good grasp of the game.

The scenarios in the Hobbit expansions might be tough without the cards from the other expansions that came before (Mirkwood, Khazad-dûm, Dwarrowdelf).

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
The scenarios in the Hobbit expansions might be tough without the cards from the other expansions that came before (Mirkwood, Khazad-dûm, Dwarrowdelf)

Just to add that I've found a number of the Khazad-dûm player cards to be very useful with the Hobbit quests (dwarf power!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mlodzkoski
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You might find scaling for 4 players very difficult. For example in OHUH there are encounter cards that wipe out all attachments and others that damage all allies. In a solo game these are annoying; in a 4 player game having a single card do so much damage and then drawing it again and again (crows) can break you.

You can play a 3 player game with one person, typically the one who knows the rules best, running the encounter deck. We found this is a good way to play 4 players and still have a chance with 3 well constructed decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slamin Perfect
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
habanero wrote:
I wanted to start on the Mirkwood series, since its the first set of adventure packs, however, they really are not available, especially in order. I found 3 of them on Amazon, but I would like to play them in order, and the ones which are available are not Amazon Prime (so add $5 shipping on each).

Shouldn't be too much longer as they are currently being reprinted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Alonzo
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like I can find 3 of the Mirkwood Adventure Packs. Would it be important to obtain and play them in order (from 1 to 6) or is it equally OK to obtain and play them in any order?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
habanero wrote:
It looks like I can find 3 of the Mirkwood Adventure Packs. Would it be important to obtain and play them in order (from 1 to 6) or is it equally OK to obtain and play them in any order?

Yes, it's fine to play them in any order. Don't worry about doing them in order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Alonzo
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent.

My 3 Mirkwood Adventure packs arrived already. I browsed through them and sleeved them, so they are ready for action. For some reason, I anticipated more variety in these packs. To only get one hero, a couple of locations (like 4 copies each?) and just a few hero cards (because there are 3 copies each) and a couple enemy cards (again, multiple copies) was a little disappointing. I was hoping that I would get more diversity to add to my deck building. I guess if you combine all 6 adventure packs of a set, then you end up with quite a variety that could really add to your collection. Then, if I were to get an expansion with all of its adventure packs, that would really feel like an "addon pack." Doing that all at once would cost almost $100 though. Khazad Dum with the Darrowdelf adventure packs would do that, and are all currently available for good prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
supermaxv wrote:
habanero wrote:

Yes, it's fine to play them in any order. Don't worry about doing them in order.

On the other hand, a complete cycle of adventure packs creates a storyline. It can be somewhat enjoyable to go through the adventure packs in order to follow and enjoy that storyline.

If you aren't able to get all of the adventure packs from a single cycle, go ahead and play them in any order you want. But after you acquire all of them, take the time to go through them in order, reading all of the extra text on each quest card to enjoy the full flavor of the adventure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Alonzo
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright,

I had my brother and sister-in-law over the other weekend, and we played. Started with the basic scenario, so they could get the feel of things.

After the first game, my brother got the hang of things quite nicely. We are excited to play again, and really get into a more difficult quest.

I was able to pick up Khazad-dum, along with 3 Adventure packs from the Darrowdelf set, namely; The Watcher in the Water, Foundations of Stone, and Shadow and Flame.

I think my set is pretty good for now. We have plenty of quest options to choose from, as well as a grip of hero's to select. We have a variety of player cards too. Now I need to familiarize myself with the different cards I have, and work on some deck building and strategy as we enjoy the quests.

I agree with the comments about reading all of the text. We really get into it, and immerse ourselves in the story, as well as the enemy cards, locations, and even weapon descriptions. This is quickly becoming my favorite game. Wish we could expand it to 6 players, since thats the size of our typical group, but I am glad its fun for 1, 2, 3, or 4 players.

Oh, I also found the Battle of Lake Town for $11 with free shipping. I know it doesnt add hero's and such, and the quest is suppose to be pretty difficult, but I think this is dripping with theme. I have memories of watching the Hobbit animated movie as a kid, and I totally had to gain access to this experience in the game. I dont care of Smaug wrecks us. I hope he does. He is one bad dragon. Its a 1 in a million shot of landing an arrow right in the missing scale in his belly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.