Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Deck-Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Hugely unbalanced. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Schacht
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Me and my playgroup have played through about 10 games of this game, we had played a few hundred of the DC deck building game as it was out go to game between magic events. In the 10 games we have played, every single game was decided by who bought Lurtz. In addition to this, in all but 2 of the games the winner was the person who bought the nazgul.

My main concern with this game is that once someone is able to hit 8, they then get so far ahead that the game is basically decided. We have started to look into erratas to lower the power of some cards and lowering the VP of the archenemys.

Has anyone else found a way to make this game any less of a coin flipping game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that whoever get's their deck trimmed first, wins the game. And since you can only acquire deck-trimming cards from the Path, the game is utterly random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Wilcock
United Kingdom
Wallingford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly not seen an imbalance in our games, so far, and Lurtz has not always won it.

There is a degree of randomness but it comes down to who is the best at adapting to the unfolding tableau in the Path. If one player is grabbing all the deck trimming cards then I need to be deciding on my strategy to counter it (maybe lots of Moria Orcs with the card that pulls enemies back from the discard pile... that can be a killer when executed well and has no need for a thin deck).

You certainly can't afford to go in with a set strategy. You need to be nimble to the threats. You also have to make the most of your character. Gimli can score big points early but fizzles a little. Boromir grows in power. Gandalf allows you to zap cards your opponents is interested in (and opens the path for ones he may like).
Sam needs a fat deck (how apt) and a pile in the discards.

There's more here than meets the Eye (pun intended).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coyote81 aka Token
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
I completely disagree, I feel there is a lot of balance and the game can swing a lot based on how the ambushes hit, just because you have bought the nazgul, doesn't mean you win. Buying lurtz is a harder one though, because you could be buying lurtz because your way ahead, therefore your probably already winning, so you didn't win just because you bought lurtz.

So far I see a lot of balance and in general a very fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyote81 wrote:
I completely disagree, I feel there is a lot of balance and the game can swing a lot based on how the ambushes hit
Which is one (of several) reason why the game isn't balanced...

For instance, you can play the entire game without ever being able to get a card that allows you to trim your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Wilcock
United Kingdom
Wallingford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you approach the game with a 'thinning' strategy then you may find yourself confounded by the workings of the dark lord.

The key is in developing the best strategy to deal with the unfolding situation.
I like that about this game: it is very dynamic.

It also makes for more interesting plays because one player cannot constantly come to the table with their 'perfect strategy'.

However, I can understand that this is not how some people like to play.

Sure, I've had some games where I was hosed by Sauron's minions but I've still enjoyed the experience and the unfolding story line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steerpike.Instance wrote:
Sure, I've had some games where I was hosed by Sauron's minions but I've still enjoyed the experience and the unfolding story line.

Me too! I find the game highly entertaining.
However, that is not the discussion of this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Wilcock
United Kingdom
Wallingford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
Steerpike.Instance wrote:

Me too! I find the game highly entertaining.
However, that is not the discussion of this thread.

Fair point - although in the context of my post I had already explained why I did not feel that the game was as unbalanced as the OP had originally suggested.
Perhaps the additional comment about fun factor was irrelevant though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a game, failed to get either the Nazgul or Lurtz, won by about 20 points. Aimed for powerful main deck cards, the 5-points-if you collect enemies/artefacts/allies/Moria orcs, Galadriel, etc.

The thing is, there are lots of good cards, not a single strategy that guarantees a win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Guy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
This game and its 'cousin' DC Heroes are the least subject to runaway leader syndrome of any deckbuilders I have played. As suggested by previous posters, many of the attacks hurt leaders more than weaker players. I would also suggest that the sheer number of random attacks and ambushes tends to dilute the strong leader issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.