Subject: accessing R&D rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lord Gildor
Lithuania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

when you successfully run R&D with maker's eye or something similar how do you access cards?

let's say I can look at 3 cards. Must I access in order from the top? Can I draw those 3 cards (without looking) and access in any order (then returning in original order)?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In order, resolving each card in turn, maintaining that order when you put them back on the R&D deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BathTubNZ wrote:
In order, resolving each card in turn, maintaining that order when you put them back on the R&D deck.

Not true. Runner chooses the order, access one at time, then puts them back as they were. So OP has it right.
Edit: I am not convinced at all, but it seems to me now that the intent was to access cards from R&D in succession, maintaining the order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Gildor
Lithuania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you point to exact rule?
rulebook is unclear on this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Frank
United States
Brooklyn
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmarite wrote:
Could you point to exact rule?
rulebook is unclear on this

Rulebook, page 18: "When accessing multiple cards from R&D, the Runner must draw them in order from the top of the deck, and must return any cards not scored or trashed in reverse order, so as to preserve their positions in R&D."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vodnyk wrote:
BathTubNZ wrote:

Not true. Runner chooses the order, access one at time, then puts them back as they were. So OP has it right.

From the rules it doesn't seem clear that the runner gets to choose the order they access them in. It says "draw them in order from the top"...to me that means you must access the top card first, and then the others subsequently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MavericK96 wrote:
From the rules it doesn't seem clear that the runner gets to choose the order they access them in. It says "draw them in order from the top"...to me that means you must access the top card first, and then the others subsequently.

This is the correct interpretation. If you access 3 cards from R&D, you access the top one, then decide what to do with it. Then you access the next on from the top, then decide what to do with it. Then you access the third from the top, and make your decision.

Then any cards that weren't trashed get put back on top of R&D in the order they were originally in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig the fallen
United States
flag msg tools
Keen to the scent -- the hunt is my muse. A means to an end, this path that I choose
badge
Lost and aloof are the loves of my past -- Wake the White Wolf! Remembrance At Last (by Miracle of Sound)
mbmbmbmbmb
manydills wrote:
MavericK96 wrote:

This is the correct interpretation. If you access 3 cards from R&D, you access the top one, then decide what to do with it. Then you access the next on from the top, then decide what to do with it. Then you access the third from the top, and make your decision.

Then any cards that weren't trashed get put back on top of R&D in the order they were originally in.

This is how it seems to me. Also note that if you can choose how many cards you access, you must do so before you access any of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vodnyk wrote:
BathTubNZ wrote:

The 'order' the Runner may pick is if there are other accesses available, such as upgrades.

With 2 upgrades in R&D and a Maker's Eye Active, the Runner may pick:

Top R&D
Left Upgrade
2nd R&D
3rd R&D
Right Upgrade

or
Right Upgrade
Left Upgrade
Top R&D
2nd R&D
3rd R&D

-=-

The Runner may NOT choose:

2nd R&D
Top R&D
3rd R&D
Right Upgrade
Left Upgrade

Because when accessing R&D, you have to access in, and maintain existing order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rereading the part of rules on p.18 again and again it seems to me now, that the intent was to access R&D cards in fixed order. It is not written explicitly in the rules however.

There is written: "... runner must DRAW them in order..." not that he has to ACCESS them in order. But the part is so specific, that it seems the intent was also to access them in this way.

I have to change this part in Czech rules that I translated. Dread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Accessing in order makes the most sense to me. If you are "drawing" from the R&D that seems the same as accessing to me, because why else would you be?

And order becomes important when you could be accessing a trap as well as an agenda.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MavericK96 wrote:
Accessing in order makes the most sense to me. If you are "drawing" from the R&D that seems the same as accessing to me, because why else would you be?

And order becomes important when you could be accessing a trap as well as an agenda.

To preserve the order when putting cards back.

I know that, for that reason I think runner should choose the order. Basically it is point down for makes eye and point up for precognition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Tse
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
another question about accessing R&D

This time you access with Noise, you have a medium out with 1 marker on it.

It says to add a virus marker on Medium when you successfully access R&D and to access one extra card for every virus marker over 1....

so if i have one on it, and i hit R&D successfully, what happens first, i get the marker, meaning i can access 2 cards, or i access one card, then get the marker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Frank
United States
Brooklyn
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dimsumboy wrote:
another question about accessing R&D

This time you access with Noise, you have a medium out with 1 marker on it.

It says to add a virus marker on Medium when you successfully access R&D and to access one extra card for every virus marker over 1....

so if i have one on it, and i hit R&D successfully, what happens first, i get the marker, meaning i can access 2 cards, or i access one card, then get the marker?

You get the virus counter before you access cards. If you have one virus counter on Medium when you start your run, you will be able to access two cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.