GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,463 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

James Murray
msg tools
Me and my adult board game group are looking to get into rpgs. None of us have done much rping beyond video games. I used to DM "Dragon Strike" (1993) as a kid and attempted to DM "The New Easy to Master D&D" (1991) without much success back in the day, but now that I'm an adult I'd like to try my hand at these sorts of RPGs again. We've been playing Descent: Journeys into the Dark Second Edition, but want to try something with more rpg elements a la D&D. I know there are some new D&D board games out there, but they don't look like there's much rping involved in them. I was thinking something more along the lines of Dragon Strike that allows for more freedom but eases you into the more complex rule set.

Also, we're all adults, but I'd like to also get something that kids can play, since I'm trying to get my nieces and nephews away from the video game consoles for a bit. They range from 6-12. I realize it will be tough to find stuff for kids under the age of 10, but I was wondering what's out there. They're pretty smart kids. I'll be the GM, so as long as it's simple for the players it should be okay. I know that the best way to learn D&D is to play it with an experienced DM, but I don't really know anyone else that plays it, and would rather just stick to playing it with my friends and family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent is pretty good, actually.

Maybe take a look at D&D 4th Edition (not a board game, but an actual RPG, though many say it is more of a board game). There's a starter box available and it is pretty much made to be easy for new players.

It should also be available fairly cheap, since D&D 5th Edition is in the works already, and it didn't get accepted all too well, because it is slightly removed from a typical RPG and closer to a board game. However, this might make it a perfect fit for you.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound (Second Edition)
Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As for an actual board game, maybe Mice and Mystics is worth a look.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Bockerstette
United States
Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragon Age Rpg... Super simple rules and cheap. Set 1 gets you started with rules for levels 1-5 and keeps things nice and gritty. Character generationis random, but you can house rule somethings to have more control.I also recommend Pathfinder, but you will have to learn a lot of rules right from the beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Murray
msg tools
Thanee wrote:

Maybe take a look at D&D 4th Edition (not a board game, but an actual RPG, though many say it is more of a board game). There's a starter box available and it is pretty much made to be easy for new players.

It should also be available fairly cheap, since D&D 5th Edition is in the works already, and it didn't get accepted all too well, because it is slightly removed from a typical RPG and closer to a board game. However, this might make it a perfect fit for you.

Bye
Thanee

We love Descent, and will probably be playing it for awhile in our sessions, but I just wanted to try something with more rp elements and less competitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian P Lewis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics is cool, my 7 and 9 year old nieces love it.

They also play FlashPoint, Castle Panic, Catacombs, Loot and more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really a RPG but Legends of Andor is a great game where you also can upgrade your hero with equipment and stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you are looking for an rpg I would first off all recommend you come over to RPG Geek. Go to the top off the page and click on RPG's and you are there.

There are tons off systems out there that differentiate in difficulty and theme so it basicly comes down to what you like the most.

You can be looking at D&D or Pathfinder but these aren't the most rules light systems but they can be good fun. If you want to try out something I would suggest you start off with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box. This has everything you need to start roleplaying Pathfinder (which is a follow up on D&D). A couple off rules have been left out so that you can pick this up more easily.

And as mentioned here before: Dragon Age is a good option as well. And it comes in boxes depending on the level off your party. Next to that, Will Weathon featured it in a double episode of tabletop last year so you can easily watch the videos and get an idea off how the game works. Plus there is a free Quickstart (Dragon Age Quickstart Guide) available for the game as well so that you can try it out and see if you like it. Plus the game only uses D6's which is easy to get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Way Out There...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen that the "red box" basic D&D set has been re-released and may be something you should look into. From my understanding it is a much more simple version of Advanced D&D and the base set comes with everything you need.

There are also websites that have simple "homebrew" games that would be fantastic for young kids. There are literally hundreds of RPG's that have been made by do-it-yourself designers. Check out:

www.1km1kt.net/cat/rpg

Here is a game that I found from 1km1kt that may be fun (though not the traditional fantasy rpg):

http://www.1km1kt.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/yes-but.pdf

I am also designing an RPG myself along with an old buddy of mine from back in the D&D days, though we have a ways to go before it is finished.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get the old D&D Red Box rules as a downloadable pdf from RPGNow for a few bucks. Quite simple and a good place to start. There are all kinds of character generators and map makers on-line for free use too. This is a good place to start; it is cheap and a quick way to see if the kids will be in to this kind of thing. http://www.rpgnow.com/product/110274/D%26D-Basic-Set-Ruleboo...

A little bit higher up the spectrum are the free 4th ed. beginner rules and campaign module that Wizards has on their D&D 4th Ed. web page.http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Feature.aspx?x=new/learntoplay

And lower on the spectrum are the D&D boardgames mentioned in a previous post. But a bit on the expensive side, but all inclusive as far as bits and pieces go.

Note: you might want to cross post this on the RPGGeek sister web site.

[edit for content]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Abrams
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A new RPG that seems to be geared specifically for kids is Adventure Maximus (http://www.adventuremaximus.com/).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no experience with the latest edition off the red box for 4th edition but I didn't hear that much good off it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Red Box" edition is a re-print of the early 80's update to the original white or wood colored 3 book box sets of the mid 70's. It it truly 'basic D&D'. The pdf reprint is around $5 US dollars.

The 4th Ed. stuff came out a few years back. It is quite different in feel (I won't go into the 'better' or 'worse' arguments here). But it has a free starter set that I mentioned in my previous post, so it only costs a few electrons to try it out; maybe some paper costs if you print it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend's son and daughter were playing 4th edition with us since they were in 2nd grade. The great thing about pen and paper RPG is the GM can adjust the story for when they have a friend come over- or have to go to bed early.

You might also look at cooperative board games like Pandemic, Forbidden Island or Battlestar Galactica. Teenagers love backstabbing!

Thanee wrote:

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Murray
msg tools
Thanks for the recommendations. I bought the pathfinder beginner box and the D&D starter red box. I figure the former's better for the adult gaming group, and the latter is better for when we get kids involved (although I'll probably warm them up with Dragon Strike).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.