1 , 2  Next »   | 

Myth» Forums » General

Subject: How would you burn $50 on MYTH add ons? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
Much has been commented on whether spending an additional $50 to upgrade the 'Captain' pledge to 'Apprentice' is worth/ helps with gameplay.

So far, I feel this is an excellent KS campaign, with amazing quality and value in the stretch goals, and a variety of optional purchases that are almost irresistible.

Assuming you are at 'Captain', how would you spend your $50? 'Apprentice' or add-ons?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
#1 is easily the quest deck expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Bensmiller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Afraid Yet?
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with Treasure and Quest Decks.

Then I'd go for additional Monsters/Captains depending on what you'd fancy.

The additional Tiles would be my next choice to add some variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go for Skald, Treasure and Quest decks. Then if I could scrape together an extra $10 I'd grab the elemental boss.

Apprentice is better and better value as the campaign continues but if you're just looking for stuff to make the game deeper rather than broader the addons are where it's at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
Maybe I'll just share what I intend to spend them on:
- quest deck
- treasure deck
- elemental boss
- treasure bag (hee, it's cool and rounds up the $50 nicely)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
are the treasure deck cards just more (new) items that aren't in the base game?

And what is in the quest pack #1 deck?

Also, is the Skald a new hero type, just like the others?

This game looks so good I could vomit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I'd do:

#1 Quest deck
- Adds more variety to the stories, which in my opinion adds a lot of replayability

#2 Elemental boss
- Each boss comes with its own 10 card Darkness deck, which in turn makes the enemy's actions more unpredictable.

#3 Extra dice
- If you plan to play with more than three persons you'll need at least some extra d10s. Why not get the official ones.

------------------------------
The possible adds in no particular order:

Treasure deck
- Adds a bit more variety for the treasure draw. My only concern with this is if the extra items are balanced.

Treasure bag
- Easy to replace with any bag or bowl, but this one has a nice logo and doesn't cost much.

Skald
- More heroes is always a nice option to have.

More minions
If you really want more minions, get the $150 deal...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val da
msg tools
If you are at captain and 'only' have $50 to add, I would grab the quest deck, etc I guess as others have mentioned as you can just proxy for the other models.

At $100 you get all the 'exclusive' items, so all the models, etc you should be able to get afterwards just not at such a good price.
The $50 upgrade from captain to apprentice will give 55 models soon (10 minions plus captain of each race), so you are getting extra models at better than $1 per model.
But the skald, treasure, etc I feel add more gameplay value.

Treasure cards are new treasure not in the base game, a few items for the trickster and skald, but also completely new items.

Quest pack #1 is extra quests at each level (story, act, tile)

Skald is a new type of hero with their own deck and mechanic (check out the character video on them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asgelb wrote:

Yeah, the treasure deck cards are more loot for your heroes to pick up - similar to the quest pack #1, it's new quests to add some variety to your games. The Skald is an optional hero who looks very interesting, chaining together phrases to form a verse that stacks multiple buffs or debuffs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark guckeyson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Treasure deck is all new (can't find quote, but it is).

Quest deck is also all new (see above).

And Skald is a new... let's call it base class... hero. Mechanic is wildly different than other classes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also factor in his many people you plan to play with. The extra apprentice miniatures are much less important if only playing with 1-3 heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Menozzi
Italy
Reggio Emilia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asgelb wrote:

That's right it's all new stuff that is not in the base game.
Quest expansion 1 includes 30 cards, divided in quests, arcs and more (don't recall the exact numbers sorry)
You can see a video on how the Skald works here
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1700755582/myth-0/posts/...
I think he's pretty unique and all of the heroes in the game are really awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also thinking about spending 50$ extra for updating to the apprentice level.

But if I understand you all correct you advise to spend the money instead in such things like the quest-, treasure-deck etc.?!

Is the captian level enough to play the game even with an additional quest deck?

And will the quest deck be available after the champaign (I think so because the guys will make some money with the game in the future)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
valdread wrote:
The $50 upgrade from captain to apprentice will give 55 models soon (10 minions plus captain of each race), so you are getting extra models at better than $1 per model.

I know! it's getting to the point where it's a no brainer to upgrade!

But I'm leaning towards what Cletus said on "deeper vs broader"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val da
msg tools
Depends on your aims...

I feel if you can, the apprentice level is a great sweet spot for pledging. but if you have to choose between that or add-ons, I would go add-ons.

Captain level is definitely enough to play, you just won't have enough models to do 2 of the same lairs on a tile without proxying models.

All the KS exclusive items are in the Captain level.
Anything not marked KS exclusive should be available after the KS too.

@Zombie Homer
If you can afford it, I think Apprentice is a no brainer myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
d0gb0t wrote:
I'm also thinking about spending 50$ extra for updating to the apprentice level.

But if I understand you all correct you advise to spend the money instead in such things like the quest-, treasure-deck etc.?!

Is the captian level enough to play the game even with an additional quest deck?

And will the quest deck be available after the champaign (I think so because the guys will make some money with the game in the future)?

It is up to the individual, it's quite a subjective thing. Anything that is not KS exclusive will be available after the campaign ends.

Personally I think I would go for the Quest Deck ($15), Rat Expansion ($30) and the Treasure Bag ($5). The latter just to round out the $50. If the rat stretch goal is hit I'd drop them for the Elemental Boss and the Treasure Deck instead. So far I think that the only must have is the Quest deck for adding more variety into the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go $15 Quest Deck, $10 Treasure Deck, $20 Skald.

I also was going for a limit (£100, which is near enough $150 too) and that's what I think will do the most for the game.

Much as I'd like to have the elemental boss as well, I'd rather keep some money for Teramyyd addons =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Glave
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The basic question comes down to "Does having the option to flood a tile with a single enemy type off a more varied experience than extra treause, quest, character, and/or Boss monster(with boss deck)?"

Quests will add value and variety as play increases. A good choice if you're sure you'll be playing many many times.

Treasures will add value and variety as play increases. A good choice if you're sure you'll be playing many many times and a good choice if you're getting the Skald and plan on using the Trickster.

The Skald adds a whole new character which have have it's own play-style. A good choice if you like exploring each side of asymmetrical games.

Extra Bosses are a whole new challenge to face at the end of a story, but also changes the way the rest of the enemies happen through the story as the boss deck is used throughout each story as the darkness deck. This is probably to best choice to vary gameplay IMHO.

Double spawning the same type of critter on a tile may add a little more variety to options when spawning, but I'd rather fight spiders + skeletons than just spiders by themselves. While it is cool and arguably more thematic to be able to do it, the combat will most likely be more entertaining with a mix of minions.

Recap:
The order of impact on play and re-playability, INMHO.
1) Bosses
2) Hero
3) Treasure
4) Quests
5) Extra minions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
I may be wrong but having the elemental boss enter the game seems more exciting to me, so I'm going with boss over skald.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val da
msg tools
The other thing I guess I'd add, is from what I understand the skald is a good group party member offering lots of small buffs/debuffs so if you plan on playing in groups of 4-5 regularly, they should be good value and see a lot of use.

Otherwise, yes a new Boss does add a lot - just keep in mind currently we only have 1 other option (the arachnid), but we should unlock the skelly today and there is an orc and rat boss we should hit.

Not trying to disuade you, just presenting the other side ;-)

And of course, if the Elemental boss just appeals to you more, hey go with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark guckeyson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think, if I had to drop either the Skald or the Elemental boss to fit under the $50 limit, I'd change the limit to $70 and call it good value regardless.

If you held a gun to my head, I'd say the Skald, since that seems likely to see more use than the Elemental boss. And either way you go, presumably you'll be able to buy the other later, so I don't imagine it's worth getting too worked up over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markguy wrote:
I think, if I had to drop either the Skald or the Elemental boss to fit under the $50 limit, I'd change the limit to $70 and call it good value regardless.

If you held a gun to my head, I'd say the Skald, since that seems likely to see more use than the Elemental boss. And either way you go, presumably you'll be able to buy the other later, so I don't imagine it's worth getting too worked up over.

I'm pretty much working on the theory that if I enjoy it, I should be able to pick up the elemental boss later ^^ If we hit the goals we have out we'll have Arachnid, Orc, Skeleton, Rat bosses I believe, which I'm pretty sure will keep me happy till such a time as I can afford it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
Reading about how each boss has unique impact on the minions just makes me wish we get to the Orc boss already!

Ok I'm being greedy here. But we're only less than $3K shy of the Skelly boss! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:
markguy wrote:

I'm pretty much working on the theory that if I enjoy it, I should be able to pick up the elemental boss later ^^ If we hit the goals we have out we'll have Arachnid, Orc, Skeleton, Rat bosses I believe, which I'm pretty sure will keep me happy till such a time as I can afford it!

This is pretty much my thinking as well. I need to stop spending so much on KS projects! So I am going to limit my additional stuff this time (thank you MERCS for limiting the KS exclusives and not even making them optional purchases) and then once I've played the game a bit I'll be able to buy the extra bits. I'm thinking that the Quest deck will be useful straight away which is why I've added that on already though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan H
United States
California
flag msg tools
You see it the same way I look at the options. The Skald has more replay potential than a boss as they release the hero upgrades. Other than that you are dead on.

1) Hero
2) Bosses
3) Treasure
4) Quests
5) Extra minions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.