Subject: Bubble Mailers be Damned!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lourdes Tallet
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Yes, I know there was recently a thread on how to properly package games for shipping. But I just received two games from people here at the Geek which were damaged in transit because they were sent in bubble mailers. I'm sure these shippers were proud of their protective handiwork, but just didn't know:

All Games Should be Shipped in a Shipping Box!!!!!!

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Smith
Canada
Quebec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your pain. The worst I've seen was when I bought Acquire on eBay two years ago. The shipping box was actually...the game box itself! The guy had just plastic-wrapped it. I couldn't believe it. The box was mostly okay, though. I consider myself lucky. I gave the guy a neutral feedback and he complained about it, never understanding the problem. Sigh...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kice
United States
Shorewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a few game companies ship me card games in bubble envelopes and it makes me batty. Of course, I have no problem asking for new copies if the boxes are damaged...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Pulles
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have mailed over 40 games in bubble mailer envelopes with absolutely no complaints. As long as the game fits snug in the envelope and there are no tears in the original package, I think that Canada Post does a fine job in handling these parcels.

Most of the damaged parcels that I have received in the past have all been shipped in larger boxes that had insufficient packing 'popcorn,' allowing the package to rattle around while in transit.

If a buyer is willing to pay for additional postage and packaging, fine. But, in my experience, most buyers would rather take the cheapest method possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lourdes Tallet
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hi Jim_P -

Can't agree with you. One of the damaged games was snuggly packaged in a Canadian bubble mailer and sent from Canada.

Besides, why take the chance?

As an exercise, place a beloved cardboard-boxed game snuggly in a bubble mailer. Then drop a very heavy object on it. Say, a 40-pound weight from a height of 4 feet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sjoholm
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here, please move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
tal-game wrote:
Yes, I know there was recently a thread on how to properly package games for shipping. But I just received two games from people here at the Geek which were damaged in transit because they were sent in bubble mailers. I'm sure these shippers were proud of their protective handiwork, but just didn't know:

All Games Should be Shipped in a Shipping Box!!!!!!

I've used bubble mailers for small card games that fit snugly in them -- have you experienced problems with them? I've never received any complaints.

-- Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once received Cosmic Encounter (Mayfair edition) from somebody (NOT from a BGG trade--was either Usenet or eBay) and the shipping box was the game box itself. There was no protective wrapping at all. The sender just stuck the return address label and the address label right on the cover of the box!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tal-game wrote:
Hi Jim_P -

Can't agree with you. One of the damaged games was snuggly packaged in a Canadian bubble mailer and sent from Canada.

Besides, why take the chance?

I would bet real money that the damage occurred after the package entered the US Postal system. It seems the Canadian postal service is usually very careful (but I'm sure there are exceptions).

But I ultimately agree with you, why take the chance? I'd rather pay more for shipping to know there's at least several inches of padding between my game and the shipping carton. I'd say give the buyer the choice in any situation. Although, there are plenty of sellers out there who make an additional few bucks (sometimes up to $10) on charging a premium for shipping and then sending out the product in nothing but an excuse for a shipping container (I'm not talking about just boardgames either).

I've been lucky though. My only two crappy shipping stories come from Amazon and KB Toys of all places. In Amazon's case (it could also be Toys R' Us I guess) they slapped the label directly on the LEGO box which irked me. KB Toys, on the other hand, taped together 3 LEGO boxes then slapped a shipping label on them. That irked me thrice as much.

jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've received games sent in cardboard priority mailers, and the mailers were ripped half open. I've also shipped books in bubble mailers. That cost me almost $100 in lost product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
I've shipped Lego pieces in bubble mailers many times (and recieved it in a similar fashion) but I've never shipped a game out that way. I would feel that a bubble mailer is a poor excuse for protection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had 2 similar incidents, once I receive a Blood bowl game and yes, the box was the original box with tape on it shake yuk, fortunatly, nothing was broken inside, but the box is now damaged.

And a second time, I received a BRAND NEW book in a large envelope (not even padded), the book was bent to fit in the mailbox... I didn't really enjoy that one either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lourdes Tallet
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hi Chris -

I have received even small games in bubble mailers that have been damaged. Especially the ones in non-sturdy boxes, such as Coloretto, Mamma Mia!, Knights, Dungeoneer, etc. Those flimsy boxes can get kind of smushed. Sturdier small ones I haven't had any trouble with...yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lourdes Tallet
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
As an aside, I must say that all BGGers who have sent a game that was damaged due to this have been horrified to learn about it and offered to correct it in some way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Having shipped and received thousands of games over the years, I have to agree that BOXED is the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B.
United States
Palm Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes indeed tal-game, you are the master of game pack and ship.
I just received a simple card game won in a GG auction from tal-game (the OP) and it was packed like fort knox. Let me break down this awesome packaging for you.

The card box sealed in a heavy freezer ziplock.
The ziplock folded tightly around the card box.
the ziplocked box taped to a cardboard stiffener.
this is then placed in a box with plastic air bags completely snuggling it.
Then the box has all seams well taped to seal.
surprise

I have received expensive games from Europe wrapped in brown paper and sent via postal. it wasn't pretty. I've had ebayers stick postal address labels on the actual gamebox and tape the box shut with packing tape. bah! I have never had a problem with BGG sales/trades/auctions items shipped. lucky so far.

arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.