Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello fellow players,

Just to inform you that the version 2 of the rules are online here :
http://archipelago.ludically.com/home

This is not a drastically new version. Nothing has changed in the game's mechanics, it's just a version that brings some clarifications on certain rules that seemed unclear to players.
It also has a new paragraph treating of the sea inlet. This part was really missing in the first set of rule. This was totally my fault. Mea culpa.

So for those of you who want some clarifications I hope you should find what you looking for in those rules.

Enjoy !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Chris, much appreciated.

Any truth to the rumours that an Archipelago expansion is being worked on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Regs
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'm having trouble loading pages at that domain, I seem to get File not found errors. I had (slightly) better luck with this link.

http://archipelago.ludically.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric L
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having no luck with either link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for this. Hopefully a better rule book will make the first play a better experience for new players.

I love the game, but I had to spend a good few hours to "study" it before being able to teach it (and we still got a rule wrong, on the first play )

Edit: And yes, the link doesn't work for me either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Boucher
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to the ludically website, and while many links were returning the 404 error, clicking on the game box from the main page brought me to a page where I could download the rules.

Edit - and be aware that the english version appears to be the small link underneath the main one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't get any of the links to work....or the site

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Original link worked for me and the rules downloaded, albeit slowly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Charles Mourey
France
Valbonne
Alpes-Maritimes
flag msg tools
publisher
Not sure why some people are getting 404 errors. The page is up and all the links are working as far as I can tell. Maybe the page is getting overloaded, but it's hosted on Google servers, so it should be able to handle it. If you're having problems, make sure you're not using any download utilities.

The link above the rules 'Game Rules v2' is a link to a higher-resolution version of the rules, the file will indeed take a while to download, depending on your connection.

The link below the rules 'mobile phone version' is a highly-compressed version for use on smart phones (yes, it was a request!).

Otherwise, they're the same rules.

Jean-Charles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, I'm getting "Critical Error" as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Direct link:
http://download.ludically.com/ArchipelagoSite/Archipelago.Ru...

But I can't seem to download more than the first page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wißner
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for this!

Could it be that the tactical note on page 12

"Many events on the back of evolution cards move the rebellion marker down by an amount proportionate to the number of controlled temples in the archipelago"

is still incorrect, since in the case of events it doesn't matter whether a temple is controlled?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't find many changes in V2 but for sure there are still rules and clarifications that are missing from the new rule book and you still have to read the forums to find them.

Maybe in V3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boelinger
France
Nice
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
coroner wrote:
I couldn't find many changes in V2 but for sure there are still rules and clarifications that are missing from the new rule book and you still have to read the forums to find them.

Maybe in V3.

Which ones ? I'd like to know...

And you are right there are no real changes in the rules really. Just clarifications and changes of wording in certain section where we could see from the feedback of some players on the internet that some wording was leading to different interpretations. The sea inlet section is new though and was sadly missing in V1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boelinger
France
Nice
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
MiWi wrote:
Many thanks for this!

"Many events on the back of evolution cards move the rebellion marker down by an amount proportionate to the number of controlled temples in the archipelago"

is still incorrect, since in the case of events it doesn't matter whether a temple is controlled?

A temple with nobody on it, is abandoned, this not controlled, this doesn't bring any benefit when such events occurs. It seems logical, isn't it ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link.....I'm having the same problem

I'll leave it downloading while I'm pretending to sit in a planning meeting and see if I can get anywhere with it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wißner
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Boelinger wrote:
MiWi wrote:
Many thanks for this!

A temple with nobody on it, is abandoned, this not controlled, this doesn't bring any benefit when such events occurs. It seems logical, isn't it ?

Since the Cathedral, the Archbishop and the Pope are able to achieve similar effects with "abandoned" temples: No, I'm afraid it doesn't seem very logical.

So just to make this crystal clear: Unlike the effects of those three cards, for the purpose of the events the temples have to be controlled to reduce the rebellion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about Reproduction and Harvest. I wrote a reply, but then I saw the "Sea Inlets" addition to the new rule book. Oops. I stand corrected.

(Although, this section should be referenced in the Reproduction action description as well, as the text there is wrong. A new definition of Region might be appropriate)

The new Migration text is better as well.

Nice job! And awesome game indeed.

Chris Boelinger wrote:
coroner wrote:

Maybe in V3.

And you are right there are no real changes in the rules really. Just clarifications and changes of wording in certain section where we could see from the feedback of some players on the internet that some wording was leading to different interpretations. The sea inlet section is new though and was sadly missing in V1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boelinger
France
Nice
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Eoin Corrigan wrote:
Thanks, Chris, much appreciated.

Any truth to the rumours that an Archipelago expansion is being worked on?

Yes I've been working on some expansions since the game first went for printing at the manufacturer. For one of them, The playtests are near the end now, and it stabilizes.
We hope to release it in the not too far future, but we do not have any release date to give you yet. Probably between Essen 2013 and Nuremberg 2014... It still requires lots of work from the artist.
This first one (if ever there should be others... You never know since all this always depends on how successfull a game is) should be a whole new deck of Evolution cards with new characters and new progress, drastically changing the game if you play with only those cards
My actual proto name is "War and Peace". War, because the only thing a little bit missing in Archipelago to my Point of View is the military / fighting / war aspect.
So my objective is to bring a little bit of those in the game without adding any combat rules at all, all through evolution cards. So this would not render the game more complex at all. There is just one new icon to learn on a few cards. This icon mentions that this card is activated outside of phase 5 - Actions, and the text in the card always specifies when this card can be activated. So as you can see nothing more difficult to learn
But most of the cards really bring something totally new and different to the game. Usually even more Interactivity !
Also, for this set of cards I went deeper into the historical side of the game. Many cards were directly inspired from true historical facts that happened in the three century period the game is based on, or historical characters that really had some important input on history at that time.
So this is it for the news and answers to your question
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edensong wrote:

I'll leave it downloading while I'm pretending to sit in a planning meeting and see if I can get anywhere with it

I was able to finally see it all in the browser, but it was very sluggish. I tried saving locally, and the saved file won't open. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boelinger
France
Nice
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
MiWi wrote:
Chris Boelinger wrote:
MiWi wrote:
Many thanks for this!

Since the Cathedral, the Archbishop and the Pope are able to achieve similar effects with "abandoned" temples: No, I'm afraid it doesn't seem very logical.

So just to make this crystal clear: Unlike the effects of those three cards, for the purpose of the events the temples have to be controlled to reduce the rebellion?

Yes correct.
I'm sorry, you are right, I understand now how you could get confused because of the characters abilities.

In a general way, any abandoned building is useless as an effect. It only counts towards the number of building already built to reach ending conditions on an objective card.

I hope that makes it clearer for you

Enjoy !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boelinger
France
Nice
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
coroner wrote:
I was thinking about Reproduction and Harvest. I wrote a reply, but then I saw the "Sea Inlets" addition to the new rule book. Oops. I stand corrected.

(Although, this section should be referenced in the Reproduction action description as well, as the text there is wrong. A new definition of Region might be appropriate)

The new Migration text is better as well.

Nice job! And awesome game indeed.

Chris Boelinger wrote:
coroner wrote:

Maybe in V3.

Thanks.
We added quite a few examples for migration that shows all possibilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Regs
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Chris Boelinger, personally I was hoping for a greater variety of Trend & end game/objective cards - any chance that is in the works?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
edensong wrote:

I was able to finally see it all in the browser, but it was very sluggish. I tried saving locally, and the saved file won't open. soblue

I can open it on my desktop but after a page or two Acrobat freezes up. Is there something embedded in it that's causing this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Charles Mourey
France
Valbonne
Alpes-Maritimes
flag msg tools
publisher
Try the version for mobile phone, it's smaller.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.