Mage Wars Arena» Forums » General

Subject: Only one Copy in gaming group - how to play it best? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
detroit cobra
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have one problem with Mage Wars. Allthough I like it very much - actually I'mlove it - it does hit the table as often as I would like.

Main problem is that I am the only in the gaming group owning a copy and the others cannot develop hidden strategies, since they haven't got a copy at home to do so. Are there any online-tools to build a deck one's own when you do not own a copy?

And btw: How do you store the cards? Sorted by type & school? Or by school & type?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think cardgamedb has a complete list of all the cards. So everyone just needs to write down the name/number and when you all meet, just create the spellbooks.

I organized the cards, when they are not in the speelbooks, in some Ultra Pro binders and sorted them by their numbers, shown somewhere small in the lower part of the card. Why? Because sometimes i just have these weird organizing ticks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Harris
United Kingdom
stevenage
hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a list of cards on Arcane Wonders website as well.

I think sorting by type makes more sense.
When you build a spell book you tend to be thinking along the lines of "I want a couple of pieces of equipment, and ten creatures, a couple of attack spells.." etc. Also the rulebook lists the starter spell books divided up in this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Edmond
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By type with a special category for Mage Only works the best for me. Since the cards are very different looking,I can tell which are which just by looking at the borders. I did school at first, then realized it was much harder to get the cards I wanted out, when I wanted them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bey
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great site to use for deck buidling when you don't own your own copy of the game... what's nice is that it also provides the pictures of the cards, so if you don't have them all memorized, it makes it possible for newbies to know what they're doing.

http://mw-deck-builder.herokuapp.com/

The only downside is that it doesn't yet include the Forcemaster vs. Warlord expansion.

But for just the basegame, it's a nice resource.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hodge
United States
Hanover
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never really looked at Mage Wars as a "hit the table on game night" type of game. More of a "let's get together and play this" type of game. Especially once you start the actual deck building part, which is one of the best parts in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.