Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A Thomason
United States
Carmichael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am going to give a very brief review of what I think is a decent game for an all day event.

First I will start out with the problems.
- My biggest problem with the game is this: Once the board is set up. you wind up seeding the board by moving your ships and ground forces and take over systems. This takes way too long. You dont even begin to truly interact with your opponents until you have already played 2-3 hours. Far too long for the simple process of seeding the board.
- The combat system is equally dangerous. The combat system is worse than axis and allies (the system it is most like), because it has equal chances for the attacker and defender to lose troops. You may say what that sounds right? Its not. Let me explain. Each player begins on the extreme edges of the board and coupled with the problem of my first gripe seeding the board the game stagnates and no one wants to spend the resources (because they suffer equally heavy losses) to go and attack. It actually punishes you to go and attack someone! And after playing for two hours with very little interaction...
- The tech requirments are too difficult. Most races start with 2 of the 24 techs, to actually get some of the more interesting techs you have to go 5 deep. War suns- for example. The only race capable of doing anything close to that is the Jol-Nar (the tech race) a huge advantage to them.

Now the boons of the game:
- The imperial strategy card which people have thought is no good- I like. It forces interaction which the game needs. When you play for 2 hours seeding the board you want somebody to be there that you can tear down or better yet someone to force you to blow your resources on. Because remember you lose roughly an equal amount of troops as your opponent in combat. When someone uses the imperial to close the victory they should have deficits the other players dont have in command chits, action cards, techs etc. The other players should beat the first player who imperial grabs.
- The backstory is cool. I love Dune and it has a grand feel like it. I dont need to explain much here.
- On a related note- it looks nice too. The peices are nice looking the art is fantastic and the quality is good. There is a downside to the neat looking plastic ships though- the map is too big (so it can fit those neat peices) we almost needed two tables to play the game (we used some spare chairs).

Thanks for reading,
Ash

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Riewe
Germany
Ludwigshafen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking the ISC as a "socializer" in an otherwise interactive poor game is a new interpretation about its use to me.

Still I think it strange to like such a clunky mechanic just because it forces players to gang up against another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Thomason
United States
Carmichael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dornam wrote:
Taking the ISC as a "socializer" in an otherwise interactive poor game is a new interpretation about its use to me.

Still I think it strange to like such a clunky mechanic just because it forces players to gang up against another.

Interaction is sorely needed in the game. If there were more interaction it would be a shorter game! I think the ISC is very important to getting interaction in the game. Automatically seeding the board in some designated way would also be good. Would it drop it to a 4 hour game- I dont think so. But it would shave off a few hours. Also to fix the attack defense thing I would give the attacker an auto +1 to hit. This way it gives interacting with the other players with their fleets a benefit.

Ash

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Riewe
Germany
Ludwigshafen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, interaction is needed. But often the ISC causes only one sort of interaction - to gang up against the leader in VP's (most often the first player).

However I came to think that TI3 is a game that, in it's out of the box incarnation, only shines with 4 to 6 really dedicated players that know the ins and outs of the game well and are not above attacking each other for, sorta, "role-play" reasons. Think Diplomacy in a Master of Orion coating. Only then this game is truly "epic".

If you play this game the first few times and/or just to win, you miss out most of it.

Problem is that the needed dedication, role-playing and tenacity is what most players do not want to invest in this game when they can play and have fun with many other excellent games in half the time without knowing them by hearth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.