Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lindsay-Levine
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlike Dominion's carefully historically accurate Ghost Ships, Witches, and Golems? Weird how gender equality is the one thing leaping out at you... (I'm guessing you haven't played Dark Ages' knights, either.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hansbro wrote:
Like I said, don't blame me for what happened 1000 years ago.

But it's ok for us to blame you for dredging up gender issues today but nothing to complain that the Witches of 1000 years ago didn't actually have the ability to curse people?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not know of bakers' guilds, but carpenter and cabinet maker certainly were active, as well as moneyers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
thewagon wrote:

Can anyone identify the artist by the style?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Whalen
msg tools
hansbro wrote:
If this comes to fruiton, we have 2 possible cards: Butcher and Baker.
Baker, however, is not historically correctly depicted. The Guilds were male dominated and it was impossible for women to join them! (And don't blame me for what happened a 1000 years ago, when I was only a little boy).

The Butcher seems to be quite appropriate: butchering one of your own cards for a better one

Reading through the little blur about the release, we can see more of these emerge:
Candlestick Maker, Shoemaker, Cheesemaker, Stonecutter (Mason?), Advisors, Tiller.

Also, I read somewhere about a late June Release.
2 months of pure agony.

One of the attack cards will be "Misogyny". Every player reveals the top 3 cards of their deck. If that player is female, trash all the cards revealed that came from The Guilds expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:

Maura Kalusky, perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tan
United States
South San Francisco
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
There is only one choice and the brave make it. Fly from the path.
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
darthnice wrote:

Maura Kalusky, perhaps?

Seconded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
darthnice wrote:

It's Lynell Ingram, who did Dame Molly, and those images do have a certain style in common, so I am going to say, probably someone can.

hansbro wrote:
Baker, however, is not historically correctly depicted.

I try to catch things like the anachronistic padlock on Philosopher's Stone in time, but don't always, or don't always get to, and people don't always notice. Having women on cards though, that's just because we live in the free world. No offense intended to those of you who were unlucky as to which side of a particular river you were born on.

hansbro wrote:
Reading through the little blur about the release, we can see more of these emerge:
Candlestick Maker, Shoemaker, Cheesemaker, Stonecutter (Mason?), Advisors, Tiller.

That would be Ironic Tiller, and you left out Cheese Destroyer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like how that freshly baked loaf stares back at her ... with a chilly Spiderman type glare. Hence the look on her face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GalaGalaxia wrote:
I do like how that freshly baked loaf stares back at her ... with a chilly Spiderman type glare. Hence the look on her face.

Good point. My first thought was the look was simply "gee, I wish I didn't have such an extraordinarily long neck".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Broersen
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:

Difficult to link an tiller with a Guild. Maybe shipbuilder or weapon maker. And what about the ironic part. Something with iron? (blacksmith?)

And what to think of a Cheese destroyer. The only one I know is a mouse. What does that have to do with Guilds. You can pull my other leg if you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thuru Uma
United States
Wyoming
flag msg tools
hansbro wrote:
donaldx wrote:

And what to think of a Cheese destroyer. The only one I know is a mouse. What does that have to do with Guilds. You can pull my other leg if you want.

Sweet! A new rats card, confirmed by Donald X.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Rats don't destroy cheese, they eat it. Much like the cheese was designed for, they just aren't the intended consumers. Besides, mice and rats don't really like cheese that much. I think the only thing that can really destroy cheese is anti-cheese. I think I have some in my other pants. They are anti-pants, so not really my other pants. My first pair of pants are regular, my anti-pants are where I keep my anti-cheese. In the nega-pocket. You can't really keep stuff out of there though. Everything outside my regular pants is in the nega-pocket of my anti-pants. Even you. And the anti-cheese. Don't eat it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hansbro wrote:
And what to think of a Cheese destroyer.

The name makes me picture a giant wedge of Swiss cheese floating in space, recreating the opening scene from Star Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thuru Uma
United States
Wyoming
flag msg tools
darthnice wrote:
Mice and Rats don't destroy cheese, they eat it. Much like the cheese was designed for, they just aren't the intended consumers. Besides, mice and rats don't really like cheese that much. I think the only thing that can really destroy cheese is anti-cheese. I think I have some in my other pants. They are anti-pants, so not really my other pants. My first pair of pants are regular, my anti-pants are where I keep my anti-cheese. In the nega-pocket. You can't really keep stuff out of there though. Everything outside my regular pants is in the nega-pocket of my anti-pants. Even you. And the anti-cheese. Don't eat it.

Is your anti-cheese stored in a container like this? If so, then I have already eaten it. . . .

And liked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Coffin
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland and Labrador
flag msg tools
I like trains.
badge
Nikola Tesla, Rockstar Scientist
mbmbmbmbmb
GalaGalaxia wrote:
I do like how that freshly baked loaf stares back at her ... with a chilly Spiderman type glare.

...and now I can't unsee it. angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Pawlak
Poland
near Poznań
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hansbro wrote:
And what to think of a Cheese destroyer.

Maybe it's the one that cuts the cheese... often...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Broersen
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Donald has indirectly admitted that there is a Butcher and a Baker in Guilds. We just don't know what they exactly do yet.
I also think that Ironic Tiller is going to be a Blacksmith (a Tiller can also be the (iron) tool a tiller uses to turn the ground).
Cheese Destroyer remains a mystery. Maybe an Innkeeper or something like that who serves cheese to be eaten.

Donald, don't you think we know enough to really spill the beans?

PS I agree that the bread staring back is very eerie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You people. There is no reason to think that jokes from the box text have any connection to actual gameplay. There is probably not a card that is even vaguely related to cheese, the same way there's no Small Dog in Prosperity and no Mamihlapinatapai in Hinterlands.

But by all means, continue speculating wildly. Grasp at straws. Whatever gets you through the night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Broersen
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like there is no Butcher or Baker in Guilds?
Pure coincidence those 2 are mentioned on the box, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
Squidd wrote:
You people. There is no reason to think that jokes from the box text have any connection to actual gameplay. There is probably not a card that is even vaguely related to cheese, the same way there's no Small Dog in Prosperity and no Mamihlapinatapai in Hinterlands.

But by all means, continue speculating wildly. Grasp at straws. Whatever gets you through the night.

Well, the Butcher was more or less confirmed a week or two ago:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/928287/ponderings-about-the-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Butcher and baker are common, sensible professions to include. "Ironic tilling" and "cheese destruction" are obviously wacky, zany, the part of the blurb that's just there for lulz.

If you don't see that distinction, I don't know what else to tell you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Broersen
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand now. You want us to stop this insanity and behave like the grown-ups we are supposed to be?
Where is the fun in that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, maybe I'm misreading you and you totally get that the words you're rummaging through contain almost no meaningful information. I just see you treating "ironic" as a cryptic clue and I worry for your sake that you mean it.

Anyway, my inside source slipped me this:

Ironic Tiller - Action - $4
Put any number of cards from your hand on top of your deck. Shuffle your deck and draw that number of cards. Reveal your hand. If all cards revealed are Victory cards, +$3 and gain an Estate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.