• [+] Dice rolls
Wesley M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest Game Ever
mbmbmbmbmb
Its alright not alot of creature movement when I've played. It two player... usually my wife and I will both get one food.swipe at eachother and it comes down to who lost the higher survivor in one attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kadian O'Reilly
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play 2 different colours each then it's still great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not as much chaos as 4-6 but it's still fun if you use the giant squid and the dive dice expansions. The dive dice allows faster movement for the creatures and the giant squid ups the ante on attacks. You can also use the variant where each captured/killed meeple adds a point to your total. This will help require players to attack instead of playing nice to each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Works fine with two players, just divide the colours between them and move sequentially alternating colours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest that there are better two player games if that's why you were buying it, but saying that we've played it a couple of times 2 player and enjoyed it. We hated the squid two player in particular though, just randomly destroys one players chance of winning - might as well play snakes and ladders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Thomson
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my wife play with one colour each, but we pick two tiles and roll the dice twice each turn. I prefer this to playing two colours each, it keeps the madness intact, and actually makes for a shorter game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone else play this with two players each with one color each and enjoy it? I am looking to pick this up for a filler game for me and my girlfriend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We did, but as I've posted elsewhere we ended up doubling the tiles taken in each turn up to the mountains. This kept the game pace quick, pushed lots of people into the water, but didn't introduce too much complexity and randomness (i.e. if we kept taking 2 tiles each into the mountains it was too much a surprise ending that advantaged one person too much).

In 2 player its a real tit for tat game, you got me eaten, I'll get you. What I love about 3+ is the dynamics of when people will and won't gang up or play nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moonglow wrote:
We did, but as I've posted elsewhere we ended up doubling the tiles taken in each turn up to the mountains. This kept the game pace quick, pushed lots of people into the water, but didn't introduce too much complexity and randomness (i.e. if we kept taking 2 tiles each into the mountains it was too much a surprise ending that advantaged one person too much).

In 2 player its a real tit for tat game, you got me eaten, I'll get you. What I love about 3+ is the dynamics of when people will and won't gang up or play nice.

How does it play without this tweak? I read in the rules that it is suggested for each player to control two colors, is this necessary? Wouldnt that make things more complicated that way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we didn't like the offical 2 player variant, but without it, it took too long, so the tweak kept the pace of a 4 player game, without the additional tokens that seemed unnecessary.

However, if I'm honest I'd pick most other games I've got to play 2 player before this... I pull it out for group fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russian Rules
Australia
Gold Coast
QLD
flag msg tools
I have had the opportunity to play a fair bit of two, three and four player. Two player, like others, we use two sets of tokens each. Takes a while but I find game play is still pretty quick.

I have a six year old son and he didnt want to play aggressively. Let me just say, this is NOT the game for that. Takes all the fun out of it. Both three and four players I found that our family liked to team up on people at times - normally to try to stop the person in front from winning!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the game the other day and tried playing two players with one set of tokens each and it was a little easy so we played again where we flipped two tiles per turn and it was much more intense and chaotic. To keep the game from being too short we only flipped one tile when we got down to the maintain ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.