Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: The PERFECT wargame rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arjan Schuthof
Netherlands
Zandvoort
flag msg tools
As an avid reader of hundreds of reviews, posts and comments on wargames, it puzzles me that seemingly the perfect game still has to be invented. Designers and developers spent many months perfecting their game, yet it seems that something is lacking always and creating fog: be it the clarity of the rules, componenents, visual aspects, gameplay, historicity, 'feel', chrome issues, etc,

Does THE perfect game exist ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer is no. Also perfection is subjective and relative term that is different from different player's perspective, so in this respect there can be no perfect games.

There are several games that are at the pinnacle in the Genre though and come close, like The Civil War for ACW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will (JR) Todd
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schuthof wrote:
As an avid reader of hundreds of reviews, posts and comments on wargames, it puzzles me that seemingly the perfect game still has to be invented. Designers and developers spent many months perfecting their game, yet it seems that something is lacking always and creating fog: be it the clarity of the rules, componenents, visual aspects, gameplay, historicity, 'feel', chrome issues, etc,

No. Perfection is a road, not a destination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hidalgo wrote:
No. Perfection is a road, not a destination.
Behold, that is a wise statement!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfection is a pursuit. As a goal, every half of the remaining distance to it takes twice as much effort as the last increment, so it can never actually be reached with anything less than an infinite amount of effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
DarrellKH wrote:
Perfection is a pursuit. As a goal, every half of the remaining distance to it takes twice as much effort as the last increment, so it can never actually be reached with anything less than an infinite amount of effort.

You're not fooling anybody. Zeno's paradox was refuted long ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightinlegalist1 wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:

Only for measuring progress toward a physical location - not for measuring progress toward a philosophical objective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schuthof wrote:
As an avid reader of hundreds of reviews, posts and comments on wargames, it puzzles me that seemingly the perfect game still has to be invented.

It is so very puzzling indeed.

After all, people have already created the perfect novel, the perfect movie, the perfect song, the perfect painting, the perfect poem, the perfect food, the perfect cure for cancer, the perfect computer, the perfect city, the perfect government, the perfect economic system, the perfect religion, ... What's delaying the creation of the perfect wargame?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
DarrellKH wrote:
fightinlegalist1 wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:

Only for measuring progress toward a physical location - not for measuring progress toward a philosophical objective.

Then I guess you haven't read my latest publication: "Refuting Zeno's Paradox as it Applies to Philosophical Objectives" (Oxford: Oxford University Press) 2013.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing's purely perfect, but for me, this is as close as any game I've played: Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Motorized Infantry Division
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mellow Muzzle
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Colonel des Grenadiers à Cheval de la Garde Impériale de Sa Majesté l’Empereur Gonzo le Grand
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schuthof wrote:

Generally, (war)games are not designed to be “perfect”, but to be “appealing” (in some way). (War)game design is like writing books (on war(fare)): the author has a certain concept in mind which he hopes will ultimately come to fruition in the final product, and be appealing to certain people. Hopefully most authors will strive for perfection in the sense of quality assurance (QA), but that is very hard to attain. But, indeed there are (obvious) differences in QA, and in that sense, perfection. This, logically, cannot be puzzling as there are so many variables (personal effort, time and money constraints, and so on, this list could be endless).

What remains - fully in agreement with Garfink’s previous post - is that “perfection” is in the eye of the beholder.

So, what do you mean by “perfect”?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
Case Blue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
schuthof wrote:

No. it doesn't.

There is a saying in my culture: "The perfect is the enemy of the good." If one pursues that which is perfect, one ends up rejecting that which is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
"We don't see things as they are, but as we are." Anais Nin
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO we are as likely to find the 'perfect game' as we are to find the 'perfect fruit' or the 'perfect person'... i.e. we're not going to!

'Perfection' as an aspiration or ideal is (again IMHO - which is the ONLY opinion we can give on such issues - IMHO... ) by definition entirely subjective.

That doesn't mean that I am not after The Perfect Game, it's just that this quest is tempered by the experience of life in other regards which has taught me that if I am about 70% happy with something/someone that is about the best I can EVER hope for.

This is not a cynical or negative comment, but rather a realistic and honest one that means I'll continue to buy and sell games imagining that I'll never attain 'perfection' but still secretly hoping to be proved wrong...

My two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
There is a saying in my culture: "The perfect is the enemy of the good." If one pursues that which is perfect, one ends up rejecting that which is good.

Hmm ... that doesn't sound so bad. You keep the good, I get the perfect. Deal!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, maybe not a perfect wargame, but there is a Perfect General.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Hmm ... that doesn't sound so bad. You keep the good, I get the perfect. Deal!

When you find the perfect, show it to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
schuthof wrote:
As an avid reader of hundreds of reviews, posts and comments on wargames, it puzzles me that seemingly the perfect game still has to be invented.

It is so very puzzling indeed.

After all, people have already created the perfect novel, the perfect movie, the perfect song, the perfect painting, the perfect poem, the perfect food, the perfect cure for cancer, the perfect computer, the perfect city, the perfect government, the perfect economic system, the perfect religion, ... What's delaying the creation of the perfect wargame?

Wow. That's what I was going to write, first, then I decided to take a different tack. Strange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
What's the deal with board games?
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TonyClifton wrote:

HA HA HA IT'S FUNNY HE SAID CASE BLUE HA HA HA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Drake
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many years ago my friend and I thought we'd found "the perfect wargame." For a time I only played THAT game and its expansions. It was mesmerizing. And then I moved on, and the search resumed. That game was Squad Leader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Go comes as close as anything ever will.

See, it depends on what you mean by 'perfect'. From your post,
it seems you mean one for which no additional effort could help
(and presumably is very good). I'd say given that, there are quite
a few - outside Go, Chess, Backgammon, Bridge. Simple games which
developed over a fairly long time. I wouldn't expect more complex
games to achieve this kind of perfection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:

It sucks, the artwork is so minimalist!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect my wargames to cover far too diverse a range for any one game to be "perfect".

My favorite Tactical game does not scratch the Strategic itch.

Games about WWII don't help when I want to do Modern, or Ancients.

Land games are great, but sometimes I want to fly planes off my carrier...

You get the idea. Even where a given game is "perfect" in all aspects of quality, clarity, playing time, etc., it still only covers that topic/scale and at best makes obsolete only other games on the same topic/scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
Charles Vasey wrote:
calandale wrote:

I'm waiting for a second printing that incorporates all the errata. Maybe they can update the artwork, too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sluggonics wrote:
Charles Vasey wrote:
calandale wrote:

I'm waiting for a second printing that incorporates all the errata. Maybe they can update the artwork, too?

Surprising that no themed versions of Go have come along. Navia Dratp is kind of a themed version of Shogi; Knightmare Chess and other games add some theme to Chess; there are Checkers games where the pieces are frogs that jump over each other; and so on. But what about Go? Too sacred to mess with?

I bought my first Go set at Fort Knox in 1975, and the guys in the barracks dubbed it "the airborne-ranger game" (because it seemed somewhat like a wargame, but the units all dropped down from the sky).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.