Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Faux-Cabulary

MFG: Out of the Box
#of Players: 3 - 7
Age Range: 13+

Overall Construction: Faux-Cabulary is a dice game/vocabulary game. That being said you get 21 word cubes which are oversized dice. 6 durable plastic dice shields. 180 "definition" cards. The definition cards give you the idea of what kind of word you are trying to make up. The box is sturdy and travel-worthy. The one thing I think this game is missing as far as equipment goes is a cloth bag for the dice.

Gameplay: So in Faux-Cabulary you have to have at least the minimum of 3 players. The reason I say this is because just like other Out Of The Box games like Apples To Apples & Snake Oil you'll need 1 player just to be the "Judge".

For the short version of how to play, each player who is not the judge gets a word shield and takes 3 dice from the bottom of the box. The judge or "Wordmeister" reads off the "definition" of the word the players create. When the players hear the definition they take their dice and make a word for the definition. They can use any of the sides of their dice to create the word, also you don't have to use all of your dice to create the word. Once you have selected your word then you cover it with your shield. When all players have their word covered the shields will be mixed up and given to the Wordmeister. The Wordmeister then decides who had the best/most appropriate word. If your word is selected then you get the point. The amount of points you have to get in order to win varies based on the number of players but is never less than 2.

The big thing to remember about the scoring is that like Apples to Apples & Snake Oil is that who gets the point is strictly a judgement call. Depending on how many people are playing hiding who made which word isn't much of a secret. Something we did when playing was to explain our words, kinda in the same way that people pitch their items in Snake Oil.

Yes/No Recommend: It's a good little party game that can help summon creativity in all players. It does have a tendancy to get a bit silly for the clowd that allows it to get that way. Feel free to also make up other games to use the dice for. I will say there are 2 things I would like to see for this game. 1. A bag for a better randomizer or the dice pull. 2. The possibility to buy blank dice, that match the standard dice that you could write your own words.

Where To Get It: Well if you go to http://www.otb-games.com/games/party-games/faux-cabulary/ and go to their Buy It Now link it will give you a Store Finder so you can buy it locally. As always check your local game store and see if they'll order it if they don't have it on the shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review! I ended up purchasing the base game + 2 expansions.

Al

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.