Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Boarding transports and space battle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nemanja
Serbia
flag msg tools
mb
Sol Federation invaded Jol Nar home system. Sol fleet is blockading space, and ground forces occupy Nar. University still holds ground forces on Jol.

University activates home system and defeats the Sol fleet.

So the question is this:
Can University load troops from Jol onto his transports, so he could invade Nar in same activation?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kouteki wrote:
Sol Federation invaded Jol Nar home system. Sol fleet is blockading space, and ground forces occupy Nar. University still holds ground forces on Jol.

University activates home system and defeats the Sol fleet.

So the question is this:
Can University load troops from Jol onto his transports, so he could invade Nar in same activation?


You can move your units from ground to transports and vice versa during the move sequence only.
Space Combat occurs after the move.
After the Space Combat, you can only land troops on planets during the planetary invasion sequence. You can't load them up in ships as you are not in the move sequence.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collis Jeppesen
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
Sol Federation invaded Jol Nar home system. Sol fleet is blockading space, and ground forces occupy Nar. University still holds ground forces on Jol.

University activates home system and defeats the Sol fleet.

So the question is this:
Can University load troops from Jol onto his transports, so he could invade Nar in same activation?


You cannot pickup troops from an activated system to use in another system on the same turn. Example is on page 27 of original manual:

The N'orr player has activated a system two spaces away from his Carrier unit. Since the N’orr player owns the XRD TRANSPORTER Technology advance, his Carrier units can move an extra space. The Carrier unit above is therefore capable of reaching the activated system. Before moving, the Carrier picks up the 4 Ground Force units in its starting system. Now the N’orr player must choose between
the two possible routes to the activated system. When moving along this route, the Carrier will move through a system that the N’orr player has already activated earlier in the same round. Although this does not affect the movement of the Carrier, the Carrier may not pick up the Ground Force unit in that system because of the prior activation.

Basically, any ships/units in a system that was previously activated by you, cannot be used again in the same turn while your activation marker is in the system. You can move through it, but can't take anything from it. Now if you can get rid of the marker somehow, you can reuse everything in that system on the same turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
Tretiak wrote:
Picking up troops occurs during movement and I believe you cannot pickup from the destination system if that system is under blockade.


Well, I believe that too, except that I cannot find where in the rulebook it is actually written. One of the other replies misses the point altogether (Jol-Nar isn't trying to pick up troops from another previously activated system); one is technically correct, you can't pick up after Space Combat, but can you pick up beforehand in a blockaded system?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collis Jeppesen
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
damerell wrote:
Tretiak wrote:
Picking up troops occurs during movement and I believe you cannot pickup from the destination system if that system is under blockade.


Well, I believe that too, except that I cannot find where in the rulebook it is actually written. One of the other replies misses the point altogether (Jol-Nar isn't trying to pick up troops from another previously activated system); one is technically correct, you can't pick up after Space Combat, but can you pick up beforehand in a blockaded system?


Page 15 of original manual states in example 5 that you cannot move through a system that has enemy ships.

I misunderstood the original question and thought he was trying to use the troops in his home system to invade another system by passing a carrier through the activated system and picking them up after the space battle. I see now that it is the same action phase in the home system with the troops from one planet moving to the other in the same system.

I agree with you that they have to be picked up during the movement phase and if there are enemy ships in the system it would stop the picking up of the troops that are blockaded. The blockade is in effect until after the space battle is over which means movement is also over.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
damerell wrote:
one is technically correct, you can't pick up after Space Combat, but can you pick up beforehand in a blockaded system?

No; at the end of page 28 and the beginning of page 29, it says:
"A Carrier may never pick up units in a system that contains enemy spaceships. In other words, a Carrier may not move into a system containing enemy space-ships, pick up units, and then fight a Space Battle."

So if the system is under blockade (has enemy ships), you can't pick up GFs even before the battle.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
sigmazero13 wrote:
"A Carrier may never pick up units in a system that contains enemy spaceships. In other words, a Carrier may not move into a system containing enemy space-ships, pick up units, and then fight a Space Battle."


Thanks. I thought it had to be in there, but...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nemanja
Serbia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks, this was the answer I was looking for. We played this way for years before one of the new players challenged the rule. At this point noone could remember if it was actually in the rules, and we missed it while browsing through the rulebook.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.