Popular Tags: [View All]
G. Uitz
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Clem,

after some thoughts on the english demo rules, I have the following questions.

Why is the skill "Assault" called that way?
When reading what it does, it sounds more like a simple "Melee Skill".
Units have no extended movement but a slight advantage on the die roll and they may move into the defenders square to fight them hand-to-hand. If successful, they defenders are pushed away.

Question 1: Am I allowed to push the defender to any adjacent square or does it have to be the one opposite from the attacker? What if this square is blocked?

The same goes for the "Ambush" skill. Why is it called that way?
An ambush means hiding and attacking an unaware defender. In the gaming world I usually get some bonus (initiative, damage, etc.) for that.
In HoN, it seems to me that it is more like a "Camouflage Skill". The only advantage I get is that my unit cannot be fired at from a distance of 4 or more squares.

Question 2: Is a hidden unit counter automatically flipped to its visible side, when an enemy unit enters the 3-square spot radius?

Question 3: Can I stack up on action cards in the demo game (up to the limit of 5) or do I have to discard the one I have to get a new one?

Question 4: ZoC. I think this was asked before. The text reads:..cannot enter or move through.., but the picture on the bottom right side shows Baker entering the ZoC of PG02. So, what is correct? I assume, units are allowed to enter and leave the ZoC of enemy units, but they may not move inside or pass through the enemy ZoC. Correct?

Question 5: In the example on p. 7, bottom seems to be an error. "PG2 rolls 2d6, gets a 5 (his better roll), adds +2 for the assault skill..." is wrong. The last +2 is its attack bonus vs. infantry, right?

Question 6: The movement restrictions for hedgerows on p. 10 read: "A unit moving in contact with an hedgerow square must stop before
or inside the Hedgerow." This wording could be misleading. My proposal would be: "Whenever a unit enters a hedgerow square it has to end its movement there."

Question 7: The firing restrictions for hedgerows on p. 10 read: "Hedgerow block LoS. You can shoot in a hedgerow square but not through it." It would be more precise to say: "Hedgerow squares block LoS. You can shoot into or out of hedgerow squares, but not through it."

Question 8: Grenades: The picture on p. 11, top right is titled "Hedgerow Squares"? I think that's an error, but no issue for the rules.

Question 9: Reserve Phase: "During this phase, units who did not receive neither orders nor Activate tokens can move and/or use a special skill." This was discussed before. As far as I remember, it should read "and/or use an activation skill."

Regarding the several "Attack Boni" I was thinking about a more universal wording like: "Attack Bonus vs. unarmored targets (yellow)", "Attack Bonus vs. lightly armored targets (red)" and "Attack bonus against heavily armored targets (grey)".

These are just some proposals/questions you might consider or not.

Can't wait for the game to ship,

Dark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Muller de Schongor
France
Cachan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fully aware that some of my answers are related to the french rules (WIP) rather than the demo per say.
1) Unit without "Assault" cannot do melee at all, so I think the wording might be right.
For "Ambush", your arguments are totally acceptable. Maybe Ambush sounds more classy that Camouflage ninja
2) Yes. Even if that occurs during Deployment.
That said, Ambush was strongly modified, and may have some adjustment still, so nothing 100% sure. AS an exemple, it is not possible to be Ambush-ed when in a direct LoS of enemy Infantry or Light Vehicle.
3) You only have one. If you want another one, either use the one you have, or discard it at the Reserve phase. Then you get to pick one during the Reserve.
4) You can only "enter" a ZoC, demo-wise.
Now you can move one zone inside a ZoC or go out of a ZoC, but cannot move through, or more than 1 square. I'm not sure, but I think you cannot leave one and enter (the same elsewhere or another one)
5) You are right.
6) Your wording is the one in the core rules
7) I assume your wording is more accurate.
9) Correct. Decoy does not count as Order nor Activate.

Yellow Red(Bronze?) and Grey stands for Infantry L Armoured V and H armoured V in all the game, not bonii-wise only.
Some cannot pass where other can, for instance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clemens kremer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XofMdS wrote:

4) You cannot enter a ZoC at all, demo-wise.
Now you can move one zone inside a ZoC or go out of a ZoC, but cannot move through, or more than 1 square. I'm not sure, but I think you cannot leave one and enter (the same elsewhere or another one)

I am sure you mean 'you can enter a ZoC' , otherwise it would be impossible to assault someone ?!? I assumed the ZoC are pretty much exactly like tackling zones in BloodBowl. Their purpose is to prevent you from running cirles around the enemy nilly willy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Cachan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally correct. I get carried away. 4 edited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clem seurat
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
yes you can enter or leave a ZoC but not move inside it.
For the rules rewriting and your proposals, we will wait the translator finishes his job. I hope he will be more precise and speak english better than us.
Assault is the right name for this skill for the reasons chris told.
Ambush is good too. Ambushed bazookas are very dangerous for tanks.
Other Chris' answers are right (except 4).
We won't work on a better demo version for the moment because we don't have time to do it and ou energy is focused on the final rules and running the KS.
But you'll be able soon to talk about rules when we would have publish them (should be soon for a first draft).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clemens kremer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it would be good to get a first draft out. The people here will point out errors and unclear wording... just make sure people understand that it won't be the final rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Cachan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clem said that the first draft has nothing to do with the final draft. It will be his own translation.
An (presumably much better) other translation will be professionnaly.

But this first draft will be enough for non-french speakers (shame on them!) to discover all the deepness of HoN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Uitz
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clem and Christophe,
thanks for all the answers.

Could you please give me your opinion on Question 1 above (about retreating) and answer me another one?

Q: When an assault ends in a tie, the demo rules say: "Both units hold their respective positions unharmed."

Hold position means what? During the fight they were on top of each other, sharing the same square... Do they stay that way? Or do they take positions as described for the result "Defender wins", meaning the attacker has to retreat to the square right next to the defender?

Dark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
regarding question 1: its the owner who decides to which space to retreat (within the limit of the 3 spaces directly opposite of the attacker's space).
I think a unit is then elimiated if all spaces are blocked somehow.

in case of a tie, im sure they mean that the attacker is slightly moved back to the last full space he entered; just before assaulting the unit. it doesnt stay in the 'in-between' position. the defender just stays in its current space.

regarding your question 5, some units (SS infantry) which have the assault skill have a number showing in their assault skill icon, which is an added bonus during the assault (on top of the choice of the best result of 2 dice).
thus you add die result (best of 2)+ combat bonus + assault skill bonus.
that may have caused the typo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Cachan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a tie, the Assulting unit is put on the last square (of ZoC) it entered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.