Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Riedy
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really intrigued by this game and want to pick it up next. But I just made my first BG purchase and can't justify shelling out $35+ for ANOTHER game just now.

Where can you find info about when/if a game is going to be discontinued? (Because, you know, if it IS going to be discontinued... I'll find a way to justify.)

And, as long as I'm here asking... I seem to remember there being a semi-regular game group that plays out of Neutral Ground here in NYC. Does anyone ever get a game of RoboRally going there? I'd be interested, perhaps in trying it before I be buying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
muzzynyc wrote:
I'm really intrigued by this game and want to pick it up next. But I just made my first BG purchase and can't justify shelling out $35+ for ANOTHER game just now.

Where can you find info about when/if a game is going to be discontinued? (Because, you know, if it IS going to be discontinued... I'll find a way to justify.)

And, as long as I'm here asking... I seem to remember there being a semi-regular game group that plays out of Neutral Ground here in NYC. Does anyone ever get a game of RoboRally going there? I'd be interested, perhaps in trying it before I be buying it.

Several groups in NYC, the one you refer to is through meetup.com and meets every other Thursday from 6/6:30 pm to close on 1st and 3rd Thursdays. The group mix is disappointingly erratic - there's a lot of "CLUE/OUTBURST"-level gamers who show up and they react to even a description of something like NEXUS OPS with this dazed, confused "why you make me feel so stupid" expression that makes ya feel bad for even bringing it up, or me at least anyway. But there are some more 'deep-dish" types who show as well, it's just pot luck as to whther it's enough to get something serious going. Last meeting was just last Thursday - I brought NEXUS OPS and BOOTLEGGERS and there was never a chance of getting either going.

There's another group that rents out space at a venue that usually rents to theater groups and musicians, but they don't go too long (usually 7-11pm) and they charge (5-7 bucks per session); however, it is a very big group with a good, diverse interest. They coordinate through nerdnyc.com, but they don't have another event scheduled until March.

There's another group that meets every 3rd Saturday all day at the Compleat Strategist, but I found them to be so unfriendly, disingratiaing, and non-inclusive, I genuinely wonder if my ethnicity didn't have something to do with it. I swaer i've showed up 3 minutes aftetr the meeting started when they were just setting up, and still couldn't get in on a game! They claim they're open to new folks and that "all games are welcome", but the complete opposite is true in both cases in my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☃ daniel ☃
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the Meetup group, I've made GeekLists for pretty much every Meetup we've had in the past 4 or 5 months. You can see them here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=viewlists&user...

RoboRally has not been played in some time,

As for what Robert says about the group being very "light", what he says is partially true. There are a core of people who are not really interested in Eruo games, and are more likely to be playing Clue, Spades or Guillotine, but there is also a group of players who are only interested in more complex Euro-type games. If you take a look at the GeekLists, you can see most of what was played.

However, your other options for local public gaming groups are limited - there's the one at the Compleat Strategist which Robert mentions above, and there's also the NerdNYC group (http://www.nerdnyc.com). Right now, the NerdNYC group meets about once every 4 to 6 weeks for boardgames - most of their other, more frequent, meetings focus on role-playing games. The Nerd events are great, unfortunately they're just not frequent enough for my likings. There has been talk recently of making the boardgame nights more frequent. Their next one is scheduled for Friday, March 3rd.

The Meetup group (http://boardgames.meetup.com/23) meets twice a month, sometimes more.

If you want to play RoboRally, I know a few of the Meetup memebers own the game - I'd suggest joining the group (http://boardgames.meetup.com/23), signing up for an event (our next one is Thursday Feb 2nd) and posting a message asking someone to bring it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David, Robert, and Daniel,

Another possibility in NYC besides the Meetup group and the NerdNYC group, is coming up to morningside heights to the club I created at columbia law school. If you don't mind playing with a bunch of law students, we generally play medium-weight eurogames from my collection. I don't happen to own RoboRally, but would happy to play it if someone brought it. We often play the standard great eurogames, such as Tigrs & Euphrates, Puerto Rico, Princes of Florence, etc. We meet every other Friday at 7pm. If you want to learn more about when we meet and what we play, check out: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/csss/. Send me a geekmail if you're interested.

-Tom

P.S. I attended the Meetup group for the first time on January 5th, and had no trouble getting games of Amun-Re and Ra started (I brought my own copies of the games though), and found the group to be pretty welcoming. I do hope to go to the group again sometime soon.

P.P.S. I also wish there was a way to find out if/when a game is going to be discontinued, but there isn't any as far as I know. So we're left guessing, which I suppose makes us buy more, fearing that things won't be available if we wait, at least that's true for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
skwm wrote:

As for what Robert says about the group being very "light", what he says is partially true.

Not to natter too much, but what I specifically said was the mix is "disappointngly erratic", and further specified that there is indeed a decent supply of more Euro/complex games, it's just "disappointingly erratic" as to whether or not enough show up at a session to get anything "deep" going - last session (1/19), there was a group playing SETTLERS, another that struggled through LIBERTE' and half a game of OLTREMARE (with a couple of the 'lighter' gamers involved, it didn't look like it was all that easy or fun), and the rest was all APPLES TO APPLES, GUILLOTINE and THE HEADLINE GAME.

I don't mean to be knocking any of those games or people who are fans of them, just saying that what I originally said/meant was that imo, we could stand more "deep-dish" gamers who can show up regularly, not to say there's some actual lack of same - I've had that oddly disappointing "You must be some kind of genius" reaction when I began describing a game not to want to offer some disclosure.

NerdNYC can't seem to make up their minds - the boardgame nights started out monthly, supposedly only became less frequent because of the conventions season, but seem to be gung-ho about monthly again.

And I'd swear I recall some Bi-Gay-Lesbian-Transgender group that meets downtown, but admittedly everyone might not feel completely comfortable with such...

I'm, not sure I'd call it "limited" (between all the groups mentioned , you could be gaming an average of once a week), but I do agree that for a city this size, it's a disproportionately small number of options...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.