Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dice Tower Network is proud to present the slate of Dice Tower Gaming Awards for games released in the year 2012. A committee made up of over 40 prominent podcasters, reviewers, and bloggers has come up with the lists of the best tabletop games of the year 2012.

The committee congratulates all the nominees, and we look forward to announcing the winners the first week of July, at the Dice Tower Convention.

A list of the nominations, along with designers and English publishers.

Game of the Year:
Android: Netrunner: by Richard Garfield and Lukas Lizsinger - Fantasy Flight Games
CO2: by Vital Lacerda - Stronghold Games
Descent, 2nd Edition: by Adam Sadler, Daniel Clark I, Corey Konieczka, and Kevin Wilson - Fantasy Flight Games
Lords of Waterdeep: by Peter Lee and Rodney Thompson - Wizards of the Coast
Mage Wars: by Bryan and Benjamin Pope - Arcane Wonders
Mice and Mystics: by Jerry Hawthorne - Plaid Hat Games
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island: by Ignacy Trzewiczek - Z-man Games, Portal Publishing
Space Cadets: by Brian, Geoff, and Sydney Engelstein - Stronghold Games
Spartacus: A Game of Blood and Treachery: by Aaron Dill, John Kovaleski, and Sean Sweigart - Gale Force 9
Star Wars: X-wing Miniatures Game: by Jason Little - Fantasy Flight Games

Best Family Game Nominees:
Love Letter: by Seiji Kanai - AEG
Marvel: Legendary: by Devin Low - Upper Deck Entertainment
Smash Up: by Paul Peterson - AEG

Best New Game Designer Nominees: (for any designer's first or second published game)
Spartacus: A Game of Blood and Treachery: by Aaron Dill, John Kovaleski, and Sean Sweigart - Gale Force 9

Best Game Reprint Nominees:
Android: Netrunner: by Richard Garfield and Lukas Lizsinger - Fantasy Flight Games
Descent, 2nd Edition: by Adam Sadler, Daniel Clark I, Corey Konieczka, and Kevin Wilson - Fantasy Flight Games
Merchant of Venus, 2nd Edition: by Richard Hamblen and Robert A. Kouba - Fantasy Flight Games
Sentinels of the Multiverse: by Christopher Badell and Paul Bender - Greater than Games, LLC
War of the Ring, 2nd Edition: by Roberto Di Meglio, Marco Maggi, and Francesco Nepitello - Ares Games

Best Production Values Nominees:
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar: by Daniele Tascini - Rio Grande Games
Star Wars: X-wing Miniatures Game: by Jason Little - Fantasy Flight Games
Zombicide: by Raphael Guiton, Jean-Baptiste Lullien, and Nicolas Raoult - Cool Mini or Not

Best Small Publisher Nominees: (five or less published board games)
Agents of SMERSH: by Jason Maxwell - 8th Summit Games
Empires of the Void: by Ryan Laukat - Red Raven Games

Best Party Game Nominees:
Coup: by Rikki Tahta - La Mame Games
Love Letter: by Seiji Kanai - AEG
Pluckin' Pairs: by Stephen Glenn - R&R Games
Vegas: by Rudiger Dorn - Alea
Wits and Wagers Party: by Dominic Crapuchettes - North Star Games

Best Game Expansion Nominees:
7 Wonders: Cities: by Antoine Bauza - Asmodee
Alien Frontiers: Factions: by Tory Niemann - Clever Mojo Games
Core Worlds: Galactic Orders: by Andrew Parks - Stronghold Games
King of Tokyo: Power Up!: by Richard Garfield - IELLO
Mage Knight Board Game: The Lost Legion: by Vlaada Chvatil - Wizkids Games

Most Innovative Game Nominees:
Escape: The Curse of the Temple: by Kristian Amundsen Ostby - Queen Games
Flowerfall: by Carl Chudyk - Asmadi Games
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar: by Daniele Tascini - Rio Grande Games

Best Game Artwork Nominees:
Libertalia: by Paolo Mori - Asmodee (art done by Ben Carre and Stephane Gantiez)
Marvel: Legendary: by Devin Low - Upper Deck Entertainment (art done by Julius Abrea, Bien Flores, Katrina Mae Hao, Ray Anthony Height, Jay David Ramos, Nigel Raynor, Kevin Sharpe, The Marvel Bullpen, Tony Kordos, Brian "Tots" Valerz, and Will Conrad)
Mice and Mystics: by Jerry Hawthorne - Plaid Hat Games (art done by John Ariosa)
Seasons: by Regis Bonnessee - Asmodee (art done by Xavier Gueniffey Durin)
Smash Up: by Paul Peterson - AEG (art done by Dave Allsop, Bruno Balixa, Conceptopolis, and Francisco Rico Torres)

Best War Games Nominees:
1812: The Invasion of Canada: by Beau Beckett and Jeph Stahl - Academy Games
1989: Dawn of Freedom: by Jason Matthews and Ted Torgerson - GMT Games
Andean Abyss: by Volko Ruhnke - GMT Games
Thunderbolt Apache Leader: by Dan Verseen - DVG
Virgin Queen: by Ed Beach - GMT Games

Best Game Theme Nominees:
CO2: by Vital Lacerda - Stronghold Games
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island: by Ignacy Trzewiczek - Z-man Games, Portal Publishing

You can see all the games here:
http://www.dicetower.com/index.php/dice_tower_awards/2012-aw...

Thanks to all the publishers, designers, and artists who made this possible!

Tom Vasel,
President of the Dice Tower Network
www.dicetowernetwork.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
mb
Kinda sad that 1989 and Andean Abyss were relegated to the "best foreign film" category of gaming. A solid argument could be made for both in the production, theme, and game of the year categories as well as innovation for Andean Abyss' COIN system.

Of all the multi-nominated games I'm pulling for Co2 (which I doubt will win anything). My guess is everything fantasy theme or Space Cadets will dominate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some good choices. As far as innovative is concerned, I think T'Zolkin is perhaps a bit non-deserving. I must admit I have not played it, but I have watched it played. Beyond the gears, it seems to be your basic worker placement game, but maybe I am wrong. The "length of time you leave your workers in a spot affecting the productiveness of that worker" thing has been seen before. It does seem to be a well thought out game, but I am still not convinced that T'Zolkin is going to have a lot of longevity. I think it needs another year to see if its more than a gimmick.

But I will say some of the pictures I have seen of gears that have been custom painted are gorgeous. There are some talented folks in these parts.

I kinda wished CO2 would have been nominated for artwork, at least for the box. That's one of the few boxes with art worthy of a wall hanging IMO. Very unique and well done for a game box.

And...it's cool to see Rudiger Dorn on the list! Not the most prolific game designer out there, but he has certainly contributed some gems to the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
mb
pfctsqr wrote:
I kinda wished CO2 would have been nominated for artwork, at least for the box. That's one of the few boxes with art worthy of a wall hanging IMO. Very unique and well done for a game box.

D'oh! Missed that one. I completely agree; Co2 was robbed in both the artwork and production categories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Thompson

Las Vegas
Nevada
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Including Plaid hat in the Best Small Publisher Nominees: (five or less published board games) catagory is a slap in the face towards the other companies that due belong here. Technically they are over five if you look at all the different standalone versions of summoner wars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cline
United States
South Whitley
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kassanova wrote:
Including Plaid hat in the Best Small Publisher Nominees: (five or less published board games) catagory is a slap in the face towards the other companies that due belong here. Technically they are over five if you look at all the different standalone versions of summoner wars.

Summoner Wars is still only one game. And at the time Mice and Mystics was produced, they ONLY had Summoner Wars, Dungeon Run, and Mice and Mystics. Even if you count the two player starters and the master set as separate games, Mice and Mystics is still only their 5th game. Faction packs are expansions, in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marling
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think it's a shame Android and Descent were allowed in both Game of the Year and Best Reprint; I'd have left them out of new game and let real new games shine here. That would have left room for some well deserving euros (remember them guys?) such as Tzolk'in and Terra Mystica to get into the big boys category (both better than Co2 in many opinions, although I'd agree with those bigging up its box art here).

I also think it would be a shame to see Lords of Waterdeep win; having seen it played and looked through the rules, I like the look of it and look forward to playing it - but its clearly derivative and gateway as well as fun and solid - if the judges think that's the 'best' the year has, I'd be surprised and disappointed. With what's on offer, I'll be rooting for Mice and Mystics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.