Saints in Armor» Forums » Rules

Subject: Terrain in Close Combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking over the TEC chart, I had a few questions.

For hex terrain, Marsh, Thicket, Marshy Stream, and Stream are all positive Close Combat modifiers, so I assume that this defender's terrain somehow hurts the defender in the close combat? I only ask because in most games, marshy terrain might be an advantage for a defender. Perhaps the rough terrain makes it hard for the defender to fight back?

So defending ON a stream is a disadvantage (+1), but defending a stream HEXSIDE is an advantage (-1)?

If so, it seems a bit inconsistent with the Bridge modifier, where defending on the Bridge is an advantage (-2) while defending a Bridge HEXSIDE (normally a strong defensive location) is a disadvantage for the defender(+2).

Just seeking a basic explanation so I can move on to grasping (or grazing) unit reactions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ekberg
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave,

Units and tactics of the time were much about keeping formation. So being in a marsh or stream tended to obstruct the way the units were formed and trained, while giving no cover at all.

For example, a cavalry squadron was not a huge block of horses, but rather a few smaller units, that could help each other out, act as reserve, exploit opportunities and defend in different directions. With a stream dividing these smaller units they would have a harder time defending against an enemy that comes on as one, attacking a weak spot.

Bridges: Ben has answered this elsewhere. I think it was something like this: When you defend on a bridge it acts as cover for the unit. When you defend behind a bridge, the bridge funnels the attacker into a sort of an attack column against your line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hull
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
For hex terrain, Marsh, Thicket, Marshy Stream, and Stream are all positive Close Combat modifiers, so I assume that this defender's terrain somehow hurts the defender in the close combat?

Yes attempting to defend on bad ground is bad for the defender. Think of close combat as a shoving match. It is harder to stand firm on poor ground.

Following the shoving match picture, defending on a bridge in Close Combat has the defender in great depth and a small frontage - very difficult to push backwards. When defending behind a bridge the attacker then gains the advantage as he is forced into a deep column and a narrow front that is more likely to punch a hole in the defender's formation.

The counter is that troops may enjoy an advantage in close combat, they have a disadvantage in fire combat - much like hedgehog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool! Thanks, Ben. I am really looking forward to getting this on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.