BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games from amazon.de rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ninja P
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've recently acquired an European address for purchasing various stuff from amazon.de and other European shops.

I may want to get some games here. What good games are available in amazon.de that aren't usually available in the states? I am looking to get Brugge and Helvetia, and could perhaps use a few more hard-to-find games, or even popular games that happen to be cheap here.

Any suggestion would be appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribe to the Hot Deals Europe forum. We frequently post good amazon.de deals there. However, you need to be more careful about language dependancy in the games you get off Amazon.de (unless you're comfortable with German text in games). Lots of German publishers do put English on or inside the box. Some do not at all. Some do on some games, not on others! It's a bit of a minefield.

Zoch always has English rules in their German editions, and make all their games language free.

Eggertspiele or Pegasus have some games as German/English editions, or German only.

Queen tends to do German only, or International editions, but we have reports of some German editions having English decks.

Kosmos does German only.

And so it goes. Do your research, if the game is language free, then you can get English rules online and it doesn't matter. If the game has language dependent components, it's your call.

Also, if your European address is in Germany, Austria and some similar territories, look for the "free delivery over €20" offers, as they apply inside those territories. Outside, such the UK, delivery is only €4 anyway.

You might also want to keep an eye on the exchange rate, as the Euro does move. Check xe.com, especially the graph for the year. When the Euro gets high, over 1.2€/1GBP is good, the same game gets cheaper just on the exchange rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ninja P
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Very helpful advice. There are a few titles from pegasus that seems like it would be good to try it out.

EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Subscribe to the Hot Deals Europe forum. We frequently post good amazon.de deals there. However, you need to be more careful about language dependancy in the games you get off Amazon.de (unless you're comfortable with German text in games). Lots of German publishers do put English on or inside the box. Some do not at all. Some do on some games, not on others! It's a bit of a minefield.

Zoch always has English rules in their German editions, and make all their games language free.

Eggertspiele or Pegasus have some games as German/English editions, or German only.

Queen tends to do German only, or International editions, but we have reports of some German editions having English decks.

Kosmos does German only.

And so it goes. Do your research, if the game is language free, then you can get English rules online and it doesn't matter. If the game has language dependent components, it's your call.

Also, if your European address is in Germany, Austria and some similar territories, look for the "free delivery over €20" offers, as they apply inside those territories. Outside, such the UK, delivery is only €4 anyway.

You might also want to keep an eye on the exchange rate, as the Euro does move. Check xe.com, especially the graph for the year. When the Euro gets high, over 1.2€/1GBP is good, the same game gets cheaper just on the exchange rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Kolinski
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars: Angriff der Klonkrieger

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year sometime I bought the 5-6 player expansion for Ubongo from amazon.de (Ubongo: Die Erweiterung für 5-6 Spieler), so our whole family could play. It's OOP in the U.S. (Actually, I'm not sure if the expansion ever was released here.) Shipping was quite reasonable, if I recall correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I think Taluva is out of print in the US, though is available in a new (French?) edition in Europe and is language independent...

Don't forget there is also amazon.fr/.co.uk etc. as well and they are all different and some games may be cheaper on one than the others, especially when you factor in postage.

Susie_Cat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a good look down this list (tip: drop to the bottom of the page and switch the item count to 250).
http://www.milan-spiele.de/angebote-c-103.html

This is Milan Spiele's bargain list. Milan Spiele is my favourite German seller, very reliable.

Also read the English list, as you'll find US editions.
http://www.milan-spiele.de/englische-spiele-c-209.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Subscribe to the Hot Deals Europe forum.

Swine!

I didn't know about that and I have a nasty feeling that little bit of information is going to wind up costing me a *lot* of money!

Susie_Cat.

(but I've given you a thumbsup and some anyhow )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Susie_Cat wrote:
Swine!

I didn't know about that

hehehe devil Nope, it's hidden away from the front page.

Another top tip for the OP. Open an account on camelcamelcamel.com and start tracking the amazon.de prices. You only need the one account, but then switch to the German flag and post in the product code of the game from the string on Amazon.de (this is because some product codes differ from the German site to others, such as the UK or US sites). Then, set a threshhold price and start tracking the game. Camel sends you an email or tweet when amazon.de drops below your trigger price.

And they do move prices. The best part is you get to see a graph of price movement, so you can see if a game has dropped before, or if it bounces around. Recently, TMG cleared out their US stock in Germany before German licensed editions came out. We got Eminent Domain delivered to the UK for 13 quid.

By doing this, you'll find games you would buy, if only they were cheaper. Then, when they hit a price point you've already considered a buying point, then you can decide if you really want to buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

*sigh*

Evil, evil, EVIL!!

Susie_Cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.