Subject: Any reason to own more than two Tie Interceptors? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from the highly desirable upgrade cards, is there much of a reason to own more than two of these for list-building purposes?

While they're in stock i'm trying to place my orders and make sure I won't suddenly wish I had more, only to find them gone.

Do many lists use more than two Tie-Ints? Do regular Tie Fighters (of which I own six) still make up the bulk/backbone of most Imperial lists?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Juneau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a squad with 4 interceptors I'm gonna test real soon in a face to face game:

Howlrunner + swarm tactics + stealth (skill 8)
2x Alpha Interceptor (skill 1)
1x Avenger Interceprot (skill 3)
1x Saber Interceptor (skill 4)

This brings a whopping 14 attack dice to the table, and depending on your formation flying skills, you can go up to 4 individually rerolled dice, shoot 5 attack dice at pilot skill 8, more if you're in range 1, which can be helped by boosting. Each ship is as fragile as the other though, except for howlrunner. You could lose a ship due to bad luck in the first exchange against pilots with skill 9 (like Wedge or Han)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Newtruthneomaxim wrote:
Aside from the highly desirable upgrade cards, is there much of a reason to own more than two of these for list-building purposes?

While they're in stock i'm trying to place my orders and make sure I won't suddenly wish I had more, only to find them gone.

Do many lists use more than two Tie-Ints? Do regular Tie Fighters (of which I own six) still make up the bulk/backbone of most Imperial lists?

Depends. I usually use at least 2 Interceptors in my squads (e.g. a named Firespray with Howlrunner + 2x Alpha Squadron; Howlrunner + 3x TIE Fighters + 2x Alpha Interceptors). I've also had reasonable success with Howlrunner + 4x Interceptors and with Turr Phennir + 4x Alpha Interceptors (e.g. 5x Interceptors). People will argue that they're fragile and you need to stock up on either TIE Fighters (more cheap bodies) or big ships (durable bodies), but a squad of all Interceptors is elusive on defense (due to Boost + Barrel Roll) and powerful on offense (3 attack dice).

Besides, they look cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mu0n wrote:
Here's a squad with 4 interceptors I'm gonna test real soon in a face to face game:

This brings a whopping 14 attack dice to the table, and depending on your formation flying skills, you can go up to 4 individually rerolled dice, shoot 5 attack dice at pilot skill 8, more if you're in range 1, which can be helped by boosting. Each ship is as fragile as the other though, except for howlrunner. You could lose a ship due to bad luck in the first exchange against pilots with skill 9 (like Wedge or Han)

While I like Swarm Tactics, I think you're better off if you aren't forced to move your ships in a fixed order like that. Try:

Howlrunner (Swarm Tactics, Stealth)
Sabre Squadron (Swarm Tactics)
3x Alpha Interceptor

On attack, this list gets 3 ships up to skill 8, or two up to 8 and two up to 4, depending which is more useful in the situation. And only Howlrunner and Sabre move late, so you can choose to move the Alphas in any order.

The squad I've had success with is:

Howlrunner (Push the Limit, Stealth)
Sabre Squadron (Draw Their Fire)
3x Alpha Interceptor

Here, the Sabre helps keep Howlrunner alive, and can steal a crit that would otherwise finish off a fellow ship if necessary. Howlrunner takes both Focus and Evade whenever possible to stay alive and encourage your opponent to fire on an Interceptor instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis McCarthy
United States
Idelwylde
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Umm... Why wouldn't you want to own more than two?

But seriously, don't overpay for them. They're a nice addition to any collection, but I have only been using two of them in any build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brutilus wrote:
Umm... Why wouldn't you want to own more than two?

But seriously, don't overpay for them. They're a nice addition to any collection, but I have only been using two of them in any build.

To answer your question...

The local X-wing community is just taking hold at the FLGS, so 95% of games are between the wife and I. We also both play Malifaux and Dust Warfare, so that is two pricey game addictions to feed, times two, as we both need crews/armies...

When I got into X-wing, my general rule was to buy two of everything. Two core sets, two of each Wave 1 expansion, etc... This has been a good rule and we've never ever been short on models we need (and can proxy cards when we need one more, but don't want another clone of the ship it is packed with).

Since Wave 2 has been impossible to find, and now I finally have a chance to buy it, I want to know if the logic persists, OR if Tie Int flat out replaced Tie Fighter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Newtruthneomaxim wrote:
Since Wave 2 has been impossible to find, and now I finally have a chance to buy it, I want to know if the logic persists, OR if Tie Int flat out replaced Tie Fighter.

It certainly hasn't replaced the TIE Fighter; almost every Imperial list I'm interested in running has at least one TIE and often more. If you're squeezed for cash (by which I mean that unlike many of us, you're able to be rational about purchases) two Interceptors is absolutely enough to build with.

I own... er, the same number as iNano, and I feel like it may have been too many. I do like the flexibility of being able to build a swarm full of them, but I haven't actually done so yet; the most I've actually had on the table at once was three.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the Interceptor upgrades are not actually that desirable. Two of each will be more than you ever need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Freybeck
msg tools
mbmbmb
Your gonna want to play with more than 2 eventually. There are a number of 3+ interceptor lists out there that are fun to play, including these 2 of my own:

List A
Soontir Fel (33)
TIE Interceptor (27), Push the Limit (3), Stealth Device (3)

Alpha Squadron Pilot (21)
TIE Interceptor (18), Stealth Device (3)

Alpha Squadron Pilot (21)
TIE Interceptor (18), Stealth Device (3)

Academy Pilot (12)

Academy Pilot (12)

List B
Soontir Fel (33)
TIE Interceptor (27), Push the Limit (3), Stealth Device (3)

Turr Phennir (31)
TIE Interceptor (25), Push the Limit (3), Stealth Device (3)

Alpha Squadron Pilot (18)

Alpha Squadron Pilot (18)

I've had a blast with these lists in friendly games. Plus, Interceptors just look mean!

In the end, it all comes down to what your play style is and how seriously deep into the meta of this game you are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Sanders
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Based on what I have, Can I still build decent 100 pt squads or do you think a third interceptor is needed? Kinda going back and forth based on what I have read so far in this thread.

I currently have 4 tie fighters, 1 tie advanced, 1 slave 1, and two tie interceptors

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Newtruthneomaxim wrote:

I haven't tried Interceptors yet (I have two on the way, finally!), but even if you do eventually want more than two, I don't think you need to worry about missing the boat completely - supply will eventually catch up with demand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mu0n wrote:

I fly a slight variation on this list where I swap Stealth on Howlrunner with PTL on the Sabre. This list is undefeated against a wide variety of builds. The build it has the most difficulty with is a Biggs/Falcon list. Without Biggs, this list eats Falcons for breakfast. It eats Biggs for breakfast too, but then it has to save the Falcon for lunch.

The thing I like about this list the most is pilot skill. I use 1 of the Alphas to get in the way of their big ship, not only stealing a bunch of actions as all the ships pile up, but it also protects that ship from the big ship since they are touching. Then I promote the remaining alpha to an 8, and the 4 ships that didn't crash will all fire before any rookie X-wing.

When I fight Rebels I always leave the rookie X-wing for last, and the last two game I played, I had either the Avenger or the Sabre tracking down the Rookie. He had to move first and then I got to move and barrel roll/boost to optimize my firing arc, and then I got to fire first. If you chain everything off of Howlrunner, then when she dies, you are left with a bunch of 1's. Paying for the Avenger has paid off a lot in my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My currently favorite squad is actually a 4 Interceptor built. I believe that the Interceptors shine most if they already see what's happening on the board, so I want to have them move as late as possible and since I like to split the formation in twos after a while it is set up so that there's a pair at 4 and a pair of nine.
Determination on the two Interceptors is basically there because I had two points to spare, want to loose initiative if at all possible and since they will occasionally get crits just discarding nearly a third of them will ocassionally safe my butt (For the record, so far I have NEVER drawn a pilot crit on anything carrying determination, but that does not deterr me).

So here's the list:

100 points

30 points
Soontir Fel
Push the Limit

26 points
Turr Phennir
Veteran Instincts

22 points
Saber Squadron Pilot #1
Determination

22 points
Saber Squadron Pilot #2
Determination

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisdk wrote:
My currently favorite squad is actually a 4 Interceptor built. I believe that the Interceptors shine most if they already see what's happening on the board, so I want to have them move as late as possible and since I like to split the formation in twos after a while it is set up so that there's a pair at 4 and a pair of nine.
Determination on the two Interceptors is basically there because I had two points to spare, want to loose initiative if at all possible and since they will occasionally get crits just discarding nearly a third of them will ocassionally safe my butt (For the record, so far I have NEVER drawn a pilot crit on anything carrying determination, but that does not deterr me).

So here's the list:

100 points

30 points
Soontir Fel
Push the Limit

26 points
Turr Phennir
Veteran Instincts

22 points
Saber Squadron Pilot #1
Determination

22 points
Saber Squadron Pilot #2
Determination

Nice. I might try this with Veteran Instincts on the Sabers instead. Two skill-9's and two skill-6's lets you act after most 4-ship squads (e.g. can easily eliminate Biggs in the first round of combat), and even your lowest skilled pilots can benefit from "simultaneous fire" against Garven and Dutch. I'd say you want initiative, though, as Turr Phennir likes to shoot first (ahead of Wedge, for instance) so he can get out of the way before his opponent returns fire. It requires a total of 3 "big ship" expansions for all those VI's, though (assuming you want it to be tournament-legal e.g. no proxies).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just love Tie Interceptors and had to buy 4 of them... no question why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Sanders
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
So my consensus is that 4 tie interceptors is the way to go as far as building a squad of most if not all tie interceptors.

How about a mix of interceptors and tie fighters or tie advanced? Any success with these type of builds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PhatRam32 wrote:
So my consensus is that 4 tie interceptors is the way to go as far as building a squad of most if not all tie interceptors.

How about a mix of interceptors and tie fighters or tie advanced? Any success with these type of builds?

Yep. I've done well with:

Howlrunner (stealth)
Black Squadron Pilot (Draw their Fire)
Backstabber
Academy Pilot
2* Alpha Squadron Pilot

I've also heard people have success with 3 each of Interceptors & Fighters (without Howlrunner)... but I hate to leave my favourite lady at home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:

I've also heard people have success with 3 each of Interceptors & Fighters (without Howlrunner)... but I hate to leave my favourite lady at home.

No need. This list has won a tournament for me:

Howlrunner
Backstabber
Alpha
Alpha
Alpha
Academy

If you feel you need Swarm on Howlrunner, then downgrade Backstabber to Night beast and one of the Alphas to Mauler. You have several ships that attack with three dice (Mauler only attacks with an extra dice at range 1).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Piqsid wrote:

(Mauler only attacks with an extra dice at range 1).

Yeah but you don't wanna have a TIE with 4 dice in your back, do you?^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mårten Cederholm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, so it's 0 or 4 interceptors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Moore
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I have two Interceptors, but I want 2 more. So, save yourself the trouble. Buy four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4-5 Squints are fun and strong builds. Was just flying 4 x Saber Sqd +VI +Stealth last week!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Moore
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Yup, my next two X-wing buys are two more Interceptors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
Newtruthneomaxim wrote:
...is there much of a reason to own more than two of these?

running 5 interceptors led by Turr Phenir with VI is loads of fun and is quite deadly. i fly that squad once every game night if we're in for a multiple game session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have four in our collection, and while I've toyed around with using all four of them quite a bit, I've never had much luck with any builds that use more than three of them. I think two will be just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have big trouble making the four- and five- Interceptor builds work. I still love flying them and have great fun with them, I just don't expect to win with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.