Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Trajan» Forums » General

Subject: Game missing one "4 vote senate tile" forum tile, is it still playable? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have just unpacked my copy of Trajan and it is lacking 1 forum tile, so has 69 instead of the 70 that are stated in the instructions. It seems the one that is missing is an "4 vote senate tile" tile.

From my read through of the rules, for a 4 player game I would need 4x12=48 forum tiles to replenish the forum fully each quarter, as well as 10 for the provinces at the start of the game and then "a number" to replace empty province slots that don't have leader or legionnaire in them at the end of each quarter. Do you frequently / ever use all 70 tiles in a 4 player game?

I have mailed Huch and friends to see if it's possible to get a replacement for the missing tile, but I thought I'd ask here, is it something I can just live with anyway?

Thanks for your help.

***edit - I've just realised it's a 4 vote senate tile that's missing, not a wildcard extra action, sorry of that changes anything!***

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Re: Game missing one "extra action wildcard" forum tile, is it still playable?
Can you play the game? Yes. But it is throwing off the distributions so it would be best for you to pursue a replacement tile. I forget if this box has an insert but you may want to check under it to see if it jostled loose and slid down there. It is usually rare to be missing a tile from a punch board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Can you play the game? Yes. But it is throwing off the distributions so it would be best for you to pursue a replacement tile. I forget if this box has an insert but you may want to check under it to see if it jostled loose and slid down there. It is usually rare to be missing a tile from a punch board.

I've checked under the insert already I'm afraid. And my reason for asking was exactly that I knew the missing of the tile would throw odd the distribution, which isn't how I'd like it, but I was trying to get a feel for whether it would be a critical fail, if for example all 70 tiles sometimes get used in a 4p game, then that's a much bigger issue than just skewing the distribution and one I'd definitely not live with.

Part of the reason for asking, is that I bought the game to play with my son (and possibly daughter), both of whom enjoyed Castles of Burgundy, so I'd expect the majority of play to be with 2 players, some with 3 and only very rare occasions - game meetups or the like - to be with 4, but I still wouldn't want to "live with it" if there was a visible gameplay effect, such as running out of tiles.

Cheers for the answer Brian, it's pushing me towards sending it back and sadly it was at a price ~30% less than I can get it anywhere else and it won't be replaced at that price.

***edited initial post, the missing tile is a 4 vote senate tile not an extra action wildcard***

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It will throw off the distribution but it might not be that big a deal depending on which tile it is. If it is one of the regular filling a demand tiles (Religion, Games, Food) and you are regularly playing with fewer than four players I don't think it makes a big difference. Just announce before the game that it's short one of the appropriate tiles so that everyone is on a level playing field and you'll be fine.

My copy came with a couple of extra blank white cardboard pieces (which I kept) so you could use that as a replacement and draw from a bag to keep it secret in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Before you send it back, give Huch time to respond. I would say this is the best Feld game there is and worth it. I haven't had to get anything replaced from them but never had any issues with other publishers.

Again, I doubt you will run out of tiles. Math says you can, if I remember correctly, but you can run out with 1 more tile anyway. And the distribution is small enough that it won't imbalance the game while you wait for the replacement to show up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thunkd wrote:
It will throw off the distribution but it might not be that big a deal depending on which tile it is. If it is one of the regular filling a demand tiles (Religion, Games, Food) and you are regularly playing with fewer than four players I don't think it makes a big difference. Just announce before the game that it's short one of the appropriate tiles so that everyone is on a level playing field and you'll be fine.

My copy came with a couple of extra blank white cardboard pieces (which I kept) so you could use that as a replacement and draw from a bag to keep it secret in advance.

**update - it's a 4 vote senate card tile that's missing, not an extra action wildcard, sorry for getting it wrong 1st time around, there's no complete list of distribution of each of the senate tiles and when I went back to look, it was clear I had the wrong tile. ***

It's a "4 vote senate tile" that's missing, and I'm not sure having not yet played the game myself at all, how much of an issue that is, ie whether those are ones that people try to get, etc.

Unfortunately, the game came pre-punched (but unplayed) - hence £25 delivered rather than £40ish, so I have no blanks to substitute in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can check my copy tonight and see if I have a blank tile I could send you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If not, I probably have!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
If either of you could, that would be excellent, I will clearly wait a couple of days to see if I get a reply from Hutch and co, but the offer is very much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked mine last night - I do have blank tiles, however they are totally blank.

Both sides are plain white, so I'm not sure it would help you that much?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRiddler1976 wrote:
I checked mine last night - I do have blank tiles, however they are totally blank.

He can use a marker to write IV on the tile (to be the four vote tile). Then he can use it to draw tiles from a bag to fill the forum or seed the provinces. It's ugly, but it completes the game and preserves the distribution. It's an alternative if he can't get a replacement tile.

And if he's very artistic/has colored markers, he could do a somewhat credible facsimile of the actual tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thunkd wrote:
TheRiddler1976 wrote:

He can use a marker to write IV on the tile. Then he can use it to draw tiles from a bag to fill the forum or seed the provinces. It's ugly, but it completes the game and preserves the distribution. It's an alternative if he can't get a replacement tile.

Aye, all the forum tiles are already in a drawstring bag, so from a gameplay point of view, it won;t make any difference, just look a little out of place, but get it's message across

If I can't get one from Huch & friends, I will gladly take up one of teh offers here, they are much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the reward tiles go in the drawstring bag, not the forum tiles?

It is the little square tiles we are talking about?

Anyway happy to send you a white one if you need, let me know

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
louper wrote:
TheRiddler1976 wrote:
I thought the reward tiles go in the drawstring bag, not the forum tiles?

It is the little square tiles we are talking about?

Anyway happy to send you a white one if you need, let me know

I suspect he's just put the forum tiles in a separate drawstring bag so they can be drawn at random instead of placing them all face-down.

Aye, I have both the bonus tiles and the forum tiles in draw string bags, it was when I was counting them when placing them into the bag that I noticed there was one short. So with the bag, having a replacement that's teh same size but a different colour is fine. I may not have to go that route though, fingers crossed for Huch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I'm just re-posting to say I've managed to resolve the issue. The colleague I got Trajan from, managed to find the original piece.

Thanks again for all the offers of help, I've tipped a little GG to the offers as a thank you to your generosity of spirit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
One final post to say that I received 4 boards worth of tiles to punch from Huch and friends, so while I didn't know whether my request for a single tile got heard as I had no reply, they seemed to have just sent me the whole lot!

So kudos to them.

I now have spares if anyone ends up in the same position as I was!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Kuhn
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,

I know this post is a couple of years old, but I just noticed that I am missing a forum tile as well. Do you still happen to have those extras?

Let me know. I don't know how much it costs to mail a letter from the UK but I'd gladly pay the postage.

Thanks,
Ken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.