Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased Die Pyramiden des Jaguar after I read a couple of good reviews. A friend and I played several rounds and didn't make any mistakes according to the rule, but I didn't get the hang of it. In fact I wonder why this game is considered being any good?

No matter who got the cards 37, 38, 39, 40 in his hand was the winner. All it needed was playing a pair of these, do it a second time (to make sure the opponent has to build over a card and place the Jaguar marker and do a similar move for the third time.

It seems as if the top of the pyramid is definitely the weakest target and I wonder how to prevent losing that way. Where is the thrill when most of all rounds can be ended after 6 moves (3 by each player)? I also don't like that the whole game ends so randomly. Players win by luck, not by playing a good game, since there is no time to take advantage of the various icons on the score track.

Any hints if this is probably just a beginners fault?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are just dealing out 30 of the 40 cards ? A big part of the game is the bluffing element of not knowing which 10 cards have been left undealt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Portugal
Pico de Regalados
Vila Verde
flag msg tools
Galahad to the Rescue!
badge
May the Holy Grail protect me from these evil deeds!
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamehearted wrote:
You are just dealing out 30 of the 40 cards ? A big part of the game is the bluffing element of not knowing which 10 cards have been left undealt.

Yeah... it sounds like the 37, 38, 39 and 40 are always in play... very unlikely you are playing correctly...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys, thanks for your help. Yes sure, we deal out 15 cards to each player and 10 are left in the pile. Well we maybe just had bad luck shuffling the cards good enough. For me the whole bluff thing doesn't weight out the advantage one player has with the high cards in his/her hands. And the way the game ends also doesn't seem ideal to me.

It is hard to explain what I am struggling with. Maybe it is that I tried to see something in this game that isn't there. It'll probably get better as soon as I start thinking of it as a pretty simple time waster. No offence to all fans of the Pyramids, I am still trying to like it as much as I like i. e. Keltis, Lost Cities or other similar simple games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Portugal
Pico de Regalados
Vila Verde
flag msg tools
Galahad to the Rescue!
badge
May the Holy Grail protect me from these evil deeds!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Jaguar is a fun game, not a great game... so yeah, maybe you expect too much of it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.