Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
That's the problem I've been having in the past few years when I bought boardgames starting off with DOOM.

I can't play a game solo if the gameplay is heavy and many things to focus.

my FLGS has two games I'm interested in getting

Ingenious

and

Arkham Horror.

Now I know it doesn't take a genious to figure out which one is lighter in terms of gameplay. But I been told from other BGG users that they reccomend AH if I like playing solo games. But is the gameplay really that heavy and complex?

I want to them both but I can only settle for one game and Ingenious may be the best thing cause I want something that won't take me hours to figure out followed by being fustrated in pissed off that I can't play it and have to put the game back on the shelves for future attempts. Believe me when I say all the other games I have pissed me off because I couldn't play them right like;

Rush n Crush,
Road Kill Rally
World of Warcraft Adventure game

etc...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror is more of a bookkeeping exercise than a fun gaming expierence, have you considered Elder Sign? Also Darkest Night (First edition) is a great alternative unless you are a fan of the Cthulu Mythos you could try Witch of Salem. Gears of War: The Board Game is a great alternative to Doom.

Check out this geek list, I am sure you will find pleanty:

Solo/Co-op games that look as awesome as they play
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wouldn't recommend Arkham Horror if you're worried about games being too complicated.
9 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Backues
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Castle Panic is a relatively simple coop that I have heard lends itself well to solo play.

A friend (who is mostly a roleplayer, but with some interested in boardgames) said "My cousin's wife plays Castle Panic solo 3-7 times a night. We play it once a week or so."

I can't really imagine playing ingenious solo, but perhaps there is a way.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Arkham Horror is more of a bookkeeping exercise than a fun gaming expierence, have you considered Elder Sign? Also Darkest Night (First edition) is a great alternative unless you are a fan of the Cthulu Mythos you could try Witch of Salem. Gears of War: The Board Game is a great alternative to Doom.

Check out this geek list, I am sure you will find pleanty:

Solo/Co-op games that look as awesome as they play


Akrham Horror is lots of fun, if you play it with a someone that handles the rules (which is usually me). So I doubt it will fit you as a solo game. Go with Elder Sign or Witch of Salem as suggested by Thomas.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
My rule of thumb when buying games is that it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to explain the basic concept/rules. I don't really feel like AH takes THAT much more to explain. Sure there are a lot of picky little things, but the core gameplay is pretty simple. Move X, pick card, roll dice for check (sometimes). The monster phases and whatnot can be done with the rulebook open if its too complex to memorize.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on your posting history, Ingenious is the easy answer.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Leidich
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Elendil wrote:

I can't really imagine playing ingenious solo, but perhaps there is a way.


There are rules for solo play in the box, basically it's blind tile draws and managing them to maximize your score.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't buy Ingenious to play it solo. Rather, I'd just play it online:

http://www.marquand.net/index.php?topic=ingenious
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Two lighter solo-capable cames that are great with more players too are Room 25, and Red November.

Have you seen Cube? In Room 25 you are trying to escape a prison of sorts in a certain timeframe without getting killed. The game is for 1-6 players, has several game modes (solo/co-op, team, competition and suspicion), and the difficulty can be adjusted.

Red November has a unique theme of gnomes in an experimental submarine, where everything starts to go wrong. I recommend 4 gnomes when playing solo or duo.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror isn't for you I'm afraid. A lot of rules and some not entirely clear and quite mixed up. It's a good game, but quite an investment in time both playing and learning.

As mentioned above, instead of trying to play these non-soloable games why not register on Boardgamearena.com and play good games online?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to second Castle Panic. Besides wargames, this is probably my favorite game to play solo as its easy to setup and manage, and with just the right level of randomness and difficulty.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Leidich
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been hunting down a few good games for solo play myself. I travel often for work so I usually tote a game along for entertainment. The next one on my list is Friday which may be up your alley. It has been getting high praise and doesn't appear to be too complicated.

If you are interested in wargames at all you may want to check out the Leader Series by DVG. Notably Thunderbolt Apache Leader which I've enjoyed and is somewhat complex but not complicated. I recently picked up U-Boat Leader but haven't played it yet, it looks to be less heavy than TAL. Or perhaps, once printed, Israeli Air Force Leader may appeal to you.

One of my favorites to solo lately has been Race for the Galaxy which can be played solo if you have Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm. The expansion includes a "bot" player to play against and is a pretty clever implementation.

Good luck in your search.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgamefreak2geek wrote:
Believe me when I say all the other games I have pissed me off because I couldn't play them right like;

Rush n Crush,
Road Kill Rally
World of Warcraft Adventure game


If these pissed you off because you couldn't play them right do not even consider teaching yourself Arkham Horror solo. I absolutely guarantee you will regret it.

Given the list of games you've found too complex I also suggest you ignore every single suggestion made so far other than Ingenious, Friday and Castle Panic. Not one of the others is much easier to learn than the games you've already been frustrated by.

Here are the games I'd suggest checking out, all of which you'll be able to teach yourself how to play solo without major difficulty:

Castle Panic (as already mentioned)
Onirim
Forbidden Island

One thing you can do to save yourself money and frustration is download for free the rules of any game you're thinking about getting. You'll quickly see by reading the instructions whether it's the right level of complexity for you Isaac.

Good luck!

P.S. Seriously folks, I know it's hard not to recommend your own favorites, but do take the time to really listen to what Isaac has said didn't work for him. Unless you can honestly say that your recommendation is MUCH easier to learn than Road Kill Rally or Rush n Crush then you're just setting him up for further pain.
9 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
D-Day Dice I found to be an excellent gateway into more complex solo gaming. Just enough rules and modifiers to keep you thinking, but not too many to overwhelm

I have now Grok'd the rules to Dawn of the Zeds (a game I found way too fiddly a year ago) and Thunderbolt Apache Leader since then, and am well on my way to Field Commander: Napoleon
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
Boardgamefreak2geek wrote:
Believe me when I say all the other games I have pissed me off because I couldn't play them right like;

Rush n Crush,
Road Kill Rally
World of Warcraft Adventure game


If these pissed you off because you couldn't play them right do not even consider teaching yourself Arkham Horror solo. I absolutely guarantee you will regret it.

Given the list of games you've found too complex I also suggest you ignore every single suggestion made so far other than Ingenious, Friday and Castle Panic. Not one of the others is much easier to learn than the games you've already been frustrated by.

Here are the games I'd suggest checking out, all of which you'll be able to teach yourself how to play solo without major difficulty:

Castle Panic (as already mentioned)
Onirim
Forbidden Island

One thing you can do to save yourself money and frustration is download for free the rules of any game you're thinking about getting. You'll quickly see by reading the instructions whether it's the right level of complexity for you Isaac.

Good luck!


NuMystic is 100% dead-on accurate. Do NOT consider Arkham Horror. I've read your other posts regarding the desire to play games solo and being frustrated with the complexity of a lot of games and Arkham Horror is not the right match for you. It *IS* a great game but it is very fiddly, complex, and can be quite frustrating especially if you don't have someone to teach you in person.

I was going to suggest the exact same three games that NuMystic has so consider this a +1 vote for all of three of them for you.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
a1bert wrote:
Two lighter solo-capable cames that are great with more players too are Room 25, and Red November.

Have you seen Cube? In Room 25 you are trying to escape a prison of sorts in a certain timeframe without getting killed. The game is for 1-6 players, has several game modes (solo/co-op, team, competition and suspicion), and the difficulty can be adjusted.

Red November has a unique theme of gnomes in an experimental submarine, where everything starts to go wrong. I recommend 4 gnomes when playing solo or duo.


I have looked into room 25 and it's got my attention. It looks like a very light and simple game

the other two games I checked out here on this site were Police Precinct and Flash Point Fire Rescue, and do they both consider to be a light and simple game? I would get all three of them

and one more thing before I submit this post; I looked at this new game here called Relic. it's a sci-fi type of game and it should come out this year. Is that game on the heavy side of gameplay complexity or is it a light and simple game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Isaac, I wouldn't say that any of those three are easier to teach yourself from the rulebooks than Rush n Crush or Road Kill Rally which you struggled with.

All of them have rulebooks available online that you can read to see how you personally feel about them so I would definitely not recommend buying them without doing that first.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Elendil wrote:
Castle Panic is a relatively simple coop that I have heard lends itself well to solo play.

A friend (who is mostly a roleplayer, but with some interested in boardgames) said "My cousin's wife plays Castle Panic solo 3-7 times a night. We play it once a week or so."

I can't really imagine playing ingenious solo, but perhaps there is a way.


It is reccommended by most Castle Panic players to get the Castle Panic: The Wizard's Tower expansion which adds a lot to the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Another very light game to consider is FITS - basically Tetris the board game. Takes 60 seconds to explain.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Forbidden Island - read the rules online, there are videos on how to play / watching others play it. Think of it as "Pandemic light", with difficulty ranging from "pshaw, this isn't that difficult! I had 5 tiles left!" to "Uhhh, OK, they're right, it's not a kid's game", to "People WIN THIS?!".. From there, it's a quick transition to Flash Point.

+1 to Castle Panic - read the rules online, there are videos on how to play and watching others play. If you get this, try to get The Wizard's Tower at the same time - it will increase the difficulty and complexity for when you're ready. This would be an alternative to Forbidden Island.

"Simple to learn" is different from "Simple to win". A game doesn't have to be difficult to learn for it to be enjoyable. "Light" doesn't mean "Easy".

The fact that you should be able to pick up Forbidden Island relatively inexpensively should help... if you like it, you've saved some money vs some of the other options. You can always flip it to get most of your money back.

Flash Point will be a little more complex to learn, but it should be doable. I would wholeheartedly recommend trying this before you play it, as having a more experienced player around to teach it will help smooth out the game (which isn't bad to begin with).

With all of them, read through the rules online before buying anything... "Simple to play" is different from "Simple to learn", and that's a world of difference from "Simple to learn from the manual".
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
NuMystic wrote:
Isaac, I wouldn't say that any of those three are easier to teach yourself from the rulebooks than Rush n Crush or Road Kill Rally which you struggled with.

All of them have rulebooks available online that you can read to see how you personally feel about them so I would definitely not recommend buying them without doing that first.


Do you have a link to the online rulebooks for Room 25, Flash Point and Police Precinct?

what about Relic?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgamefreak2geek wrote:
Do you have a link to the online rulebooks for Room 25, Flash Point and Police Precinct?

what about Relic?


Your Google-Fu (and BGG Search Fu) is lacking.

Room 25 Rules

Flash Point Rules

Police Precinct Rules

Relic Rules
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgamefreak2geek wrote:
NuMystic wrote:
Isaac, I wouldn't say that any of those three are easier to teach yourself from the rulebooks than Rush n Crush or Road Kill Rally which you struggled with.

All of them have rulebooks available online that you can read to see how you personally feel about them so I would definitely not recommend buying them without doing that first.


Do you have a link to the online rulebooks for Room 25, Flash Point and Police Precinct?

what about Relic?


Checking the files section of the game's BGG page or going to the publisher's website will usually net you the rule books.

Flash Point:
http://www.indieboardsandcards.com/fpfr.php

Room 25:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/82863/rules-english-matago...

Police Precinct:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/83534/rules-for-pp-1st-edi...

Relic:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm...

Edit: Damn, ninja'd
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Watkins
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's friiiiday friday
you gotta get down on

fridaaaaay
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.