Subject: Marvel License Acquired by Hasbro rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Hammer
United States
Hillsborough
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Hasbro has recently acquired a license to "toy and game" rights to the Marvel superhero universe, including board games. See the full story here:

http://www.marvel.com/company/showarticle.htm?id=1172

I'm hoping for some innovative Marvel-themed board games here. I'm already looking forward to the Fantasy Flight Marvel Heroes game which will hopefully be available in the spring. I wonder what Hasbro has in store for us? Anyone have any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
X-men Epic Duels???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im expecting to see Marvel Monopoly... almost exactly the same as regular monopoly! I think I'm gonna have to patent that. Damn, who would ever take Monopoly and add a theme, a genius like me!

$600 dollars for The Daily Bugle, what a rip off!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoetheHammer wrote:
I'm already looking forward to the Fantasy Flight Marvel Heroes game which will hopefully be available in the spring.

I would think this news spells doom for the FFG/Nexus game, doesn't it? I mean, what's the point of acquiring the rights and then allowing another company to publish a game in that universe? Perhaps someone in the know can enlighten us....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
MarvelNemesis wrote:
Im expecting to see Marvel Monopoly... almost exactly the same as regular monopoly! I think I'm gonna have to patent that. Damn, who would ever take Monopoly and add a theme, a genius like me!

$600 dollars for The Daily Bugle, what a rip off!

Now, you do know that they actually already did that, and one for DC as well, right???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Hunsucker
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon Waddington wrote:
JoetheHammer wrote:
I'm already looking forward to the Fantasy Flight Marvel Heroes game which will hopefully be available in the spring.

I would think this news spells doom for the FFG/Nexus game, doesn't it? I mean, what's the point of acquiring the rights and then allowing another company to publish a game in that universe? Perhaps someone in the know can enlighten us....

The news story seems to indicate the license starts on Jan 1, 2007. So as long as FFG/Nexus gets the game out before then, it should be fine.

Don't expect expansions/reprints, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Holden
Isle of Man
Douglas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon Waddington wrote:

Not necessarily Jon, the article says "The five-year license gives Hasbro the rights to bring Marvel Entertainment-based toy products to retail beginning January 1, 2007"

So presumably FFG are okay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Holden
Isle of Man
Douglas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mangler103 wrote:
Don't expect expansions/reprints, though.

Well, for at least 5 years

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Coming January, 2006 - Marvel SuperHeroScape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Donohue
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
Kneel puny Doomtrooper before the might of the Ezoghoul!
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to see

MARVEL HEROSCAPE

Sure, I could make custom units using Heroclix, but it's just not the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Werth
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
X-Men: Battleball

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Banjo McCardel
United States
Ridgefield
WA
flag msg tools
You are mighty small, little Banjo, and your flippers are tired. But one day, you will become...
badge
BANJO...KING of the Seamonkeys!
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is that they wanted to get in on the superhero CCG, much like they did with Star Wars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without knowing the terms of the Fantasy Flight Games license, it is impossible to say what (if any) effect this will have on them. For example, it could easily be a license for one particular product or game, with unlimited and perpetual production and sales rights so long as a royalty is paid. It could be a right to sell up until a certain point, with repurchase of any outstanding inventory.

In other words, it could be anything. Some are more likely than others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yollege wrote:
X-men Epic Duels???

Wow, such a simple idea. I would totally buy that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Now, you do know that they actually already did that, and one for DC as well, right???

Yes, but now that have the license we can make millions of seperate monopoly marvels! Xmen Monopoly, Spider Man Monopoly, etc...

Oh man! I'm a roll, dont stop me now!

[/humor] If anybody took it as I was actually making it, your wrong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How will this effect Heroclix, if at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
statman8 wrote:
How will this effect Heroclix, if at all?

It's about the same as the other products, like VS. and the announced FFG game - depends on the specifics of the contracts involved. If the new license is exclusive, then - uh-oh. If not, then no biggie. I'd imagine the companies involved will let us know if things change for the worse...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.