United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It says so on my lab results laugh

I had to dig up old medical records to forward to my current doctor. I had aphysical a few years back so I stopped by the med center to get a copy to give to the new doc. In the paragraph thay the doctor wrote about the appointment it opens with "A pleasant overweight gentleman. .."

Better than a skinny d00shbag I guess
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I thought this was the start of a singles ad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
I thought this was the start of a singles ad.

Or a letter to Penthouse Forums...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was once fitted for a suit.

The official size was "Portly".

Portly!?! angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was once fitted for a tux for a wedding and I was informed that for my measurements I had arms like on orangutan... surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:
In the paragraph thay the doctor wrote about the appointment it opens with "A pleasant overweight gentleman. .."

Santa?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
dreadpirate wrote:

Portly!?! angry

this post was extra funny because of the avatar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Professionalism rears its ugly head once again.

Would you have been pleasant had you known how they were describing you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
dreadpirate wrote:

Portly!?! angry

I'm coming over shortly
Because I am a portly
You promised you could fit me in fifty dollar suit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking Rumpole of the Bailey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
dreadpirate wrote:

Portly!?! angry

It's referring to "the drop." The drop is the difference in inches between the coat size and waist size of the trousers. An average build has a six inch drop. Thus someone who wears a 42 coat probably wears 36 inch waist trousers. Younger men often have a 7" drop and athletic cut suits are 8" drops and the jackets are proportionately tailored as well.

Exceptions: Usually from size 44 jacket and up suits have a 5" drop.

In a portly cut the trousers are 2" smaller than the coat size.

When I was selling suits, I'd never ask the guy what size he wore. Men usually don't know or lie or the last suit they bought was a real cheapo and didn't run true to size.

I'd measure his waist, add 5 or 6 inches and hand him a jacket to try on just for size. 90% of the time I was right on. Of course, I could eyeball if the fella appeared to be more fit or less fit than average.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Wagner
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
Professionalism rears its ugly head once again.

Would you have been pleasant had you known how they were describing you?

One can be professional and colloquial at the same time. There is a medical argument for noting disposition, weight, and gender. so, having "pleasant, overweight gentleman" on the chart serves a legitimate purpose.

There are newborn ICU's that used to chart FLK and FLP, which means "funny looking kid" and "funny looking parents". Those were legitimate because dismorphic features can be symptomatic of some serious problems that need to be diagnosed and treated sooner rather than later. FLK suggested more testing. FLP provided an alternate diagnosis.

Now, they use longer, and less meaningful, Latin terms which convey similar things. I would argue that making charting longer and less effective, while more PC, is less professional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
athletic cut suits are 8" drops and the jackets are proportionately tailored as well.

It is nice to know that I have reached athletic proportions! (39 jacket, 31 waist. I used wear a 42 jacket with 34 waist.)

This is handy, useful information, since I sell men's clothing. I don't usually need to be this precise, but it is still helpful for those times I have to send a customer over to the tailored suit department.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
gedin wrote:
I was once fitted for a tux for a wedding and I was informed that for my measurements I had arms like on orangutan... surprise
What is your ape index? Mine is +1.5 inches. (Note that wikipedia has it backwards - it is arm span minus height, not height minus arm span, for the non-ratio version.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
I was thinking Rumpole of the Bailey.

Hmmmm... maybe if the title of this post was "I am a curmudgeonly, overweight gentleman..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:
riddlen wrote:
In the paragraph thay the doctor wrote about the appointment it opens with "A pleasant overweight gentleman. .."

Santa?

why? do you want to sit on my lap blush

I actually have the deep voice and can grow a wicked beard, but I am going to try and get less fat. If not, then that will be my 2nd career.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Denmark, every man needs to serve in the army when he turns 18. First, there's a health checkup, and some mental tests.

When the doctor looked at my wheight, his response was: "You're not as fat as you look!"

Well...thanks... I guess?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
“It’s raining tacos, from out of the sky. Tacos, no need to ask why. Just open your mouth and close your eyes: It’s raining tacos!”
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
dreadpirate wrote:

Portly!?! angry

It's referring to "the drop." The drop is the difference in inches between the coat size and waist size of the trousers. An average build has a six inch drop. Thus someone who wears a 42 coat probably wears 36 inch waist trousers. Younger men often have a 7" drop and athletic cut suits are 8" drops and the jackets are proportionately tailored as well.

Exceptions: Usually from size 44 jacket and up suits have a 5" drop.

In a portly cut the trousers are 2" smaller than the coat size.

When I was selling suits, I'd never ask the guy what size he wore. Men usually don't know or lie or the last suit they bought was a real cheapo and didn't run true to size.

I'd measure his waist, add 5 or 6 inches and hand him a jacket to try on just for size. 90% of the time I was right on. Of course, I could eyeball if the fella appeared to be more fit or less fit than average.

And if it didn't fit quite right, you could always tell them "Don't worry, sir. The suit will ride up with wear". whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.