Subject: Looking for a Worker Placement Game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Geneva
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, Im looking for a good WP game, Im looking at Stone Age and TZolkin..Or something else.. I just picked up Lords of Waterdeep..Thanks for the help..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko

Yedo

Ninjato

Belfort

The Manhattan Project

Alien Frontiers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age and Tzolk'in are both good. I think Tzolk'in is better.

Other worker placements which are very good:

Dominant Species
Agricola
Last Will
Vasco da Gama
Florenza
Egizia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Rivet
United States
Pine City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Well "la de" freck'n Da!
badge
The "Dennis System".
mbmbmbmbmb
coco123 wrote:
Hello, Im looking for a good WP game, Im looking at Stone Age and TZolkin..Or something else.. I just picked up Lords of Waterdeep..Thanks for the help..

Tzolkin is awesome! if your wondering, also project Manhattan, caylus, Kemet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age is more gambly and lighter. Tzolkin is more in depth. Both are excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb

Even more to research...

Carson City
Asara
The Pillars of the Earth
Kingsburg
+1 Belfort
Tzolkin is definitely a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Go with Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar.

I'd say also look at

Lancaster

and

Homesteaders

They both have depth and are shorter length games similar to Lords of Waterdeep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this geek list: Euro games with a pulse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One mention of Agricola so far? Really?

Regarding Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar. I really enjoy the game, but it is very over wrought. I would ease my way into a game this big. Stone Age is a great place to start, but going into it, realize you will quickly graduate to games like Caylus and Agricola and you probably won't feel the need to break out Stone Age any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Camp
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
One mention of Agricola so far? Really?

Regarding Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar. I really enjoy the game, but it is very over wrought. I would ease my way into a game this big. Stone Age is a great place to start, but going into it, realize you will quickly graduate to games like Caylus and Agricola and you probably won't feel the need to break out Stone Age any more.

I absolutely agree. Since moving up in WP games, Stone Age has seen less and less game play. It's been nearly a year since I've seen it on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Geneva
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Agricola and Dominant Species and love them..are Tzolkin and stone age different enough to own both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
coco123 wrote:
I have played Agricola and Dominant Species and love them..are Tzolkin and stone age different enough to own both?

If you're already playing Agricola and Dominant Species, then definitely get Tzolk'in instead of Stone Age.

Only get Stone Age if you're looking for a lighter, easier worker placement game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Geneva
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of all the games that I have played, It seems I enjoy Worker placement games the best..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coco123 wrote:
Out of all the games that I have played, It seems I enjoy Worker placement games the best..

You owe it to yourself to try Caylus, still my favorite WP game after all these years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Geneva
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im going to look into it, Thanks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
coco123 wrote:
Im going to look into it, Thanks...

If you have an iOS device, you can get a few of these games, Caylus included, to try before you buy the physical game. Granted, no experience matches face to face, but Caylus is done very well, and should give you an idea of if you'll like it or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Top three I would get in order if I were to add more. Agricola, Yedo and The Manhattan Project. I have LoW and Keyflower although Keyflower isn't a pure WP game but neither is Belfort. Another one to look into since it is different than the typical WP game is XanadĂș. You'll have to look up the info on the game's forum, but it is the only way to buy it currently for those in the US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Gagnon
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Graphic Designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Village is a good one, I really enjoy this game. Never played it with more than 2 players but, give it a try.

Don't know if Kingsburg can be consider a WP game but, it's similar anyway and it's really fun too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Homesteaders looks like a great game, but it isn't worker placement. Ninjato is closer, but not quie the same, it is more action selection than worker placement.

Carson City has a lot going for it, but maybe too much, if you know what I mean. The game crams worker placment, tile placement(buildings), and role selection into one and it can sometimes be a bit much. The end game especially, when you are calculating all the potential scores from buildings and how they might change depending on what you or your opponents play and where to play and so forth - it can get very brain burny.

At the same time, you might be frustrated that the outcome of a 90 minute strategy game can come down to a dice roll. Yes, you can mitigate the luck in varying ways and so on, but you can still have victory plucked from you due to some bad luck on a single duel, which may infuriate some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Camp
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
coco123 wrote:

You owe it to yourself to try Caylus, still my favorite WP game after all these years.

I absolutely agree. Caylus is an awesome game. My wife loves it and I need to find a copy of it myself some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
since you own LoW I would say don't bother with Stone Age. I would vote for a worker placement game that has a bit of a twist on the standard worker placement. My 3 votes would be for:

Village
Carson City
Endeavor

Village is only 4 player max until the expansion comes out but it scales and plays beautifully. Endeavor might be a stretch when it comes to "worker placement" but it is a great game. Only knock on it is that it only plays 3-5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Longardner
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
1 for Lancaster

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monchichi wrote:
since you own LoW I would say don't bother with Stone Age. I would vote for a worker placement game that has a bit of a twist on the standard worker placement. My 3 votes would be for:

Village
Carson City
Endeavor

Village is only 4 player max until the expansion comes out but it scales and plays beautifully. Endeavor might be a stretch when it comes to "worker placement" but it is a great game. Only knock on it is that it only plays 3-5.

I love Endeavor, it is one of the best games I own, but how is it a worker placement game? It's really area control, disguised as exploration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.